The Bible's Laws on Divorce and Remarriage.

Timothy416

Dec 31, 2018
Inverness
✟10,322.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You said God can tell a person not to get married and then you implied that if they married, it would be a marriage that was not considered valid in God's eyes. If this is what you are saying: Then this is simply not true. Again, Romans 13 says God is in support of the laws of the land (unless of course that law is in violation of His Word). But those laws that are in line with His Word or it is not in conflict with His Word are binding for our lives to obey. So seeing God is in support of national laws (that do not conflict with His Word), then God would not consider a marriage to be invalid just because God nudged a person so as to not to marry a particular person. The marriage law is still binding and in effect because God honors the law of the land (that does not conflict with His Word).
I did not say God would consider the marriage invalid, I gave no opinion on that. I simply asked how you would view the situation of a person marrying someone God specifically told them he did not want them to marry, for he had a purpose for their life that required them not to marry the specific person

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I did not say God would consider the marriage invalid, I gave no opinion on that. I simply asked how you would view the situation of a person marrying someone God specifically told them he did not want them to marry, for he had a purpose for their life that required them not to marry the specific person

How would they really know that God did not want them to marry? An audible voice? If they married lawfully, then God would consider them to be married (regardless if even He did not want them married). They would still be married in God's eyes (even if the other partner was not God's good choice for that person). They have to learn to make the best of their bad decision. Many times, God can take a bad situation and turn it around for good like with Joseph and his brothers. So we cannot go by our feelings as if God is talking to us. We have to follow what His Word says. We are to love the other partner (even if we may think that God did not desire that person for our life). We have to make the best of every decision and situation we have placed ourselves in. Have you ever did something that you regretted that it is now with you for life? It could be physical. For example: Rick always went up to the speakers at Rock concerts and he did not wear any earplugs or hearing protection. Rick now has constant ringing in this ears and wished he did not do what he done in the past. Even loud noises now makes his ears hurt and he is super sensitive to such things. It is a decision he regrets. But everything in life does happen for a reason. Rick could use this incident to warn others about hearing loss and he could also talk about how he still loves and worships God despite his small discomfort with his hearing loss. He can say God is good; Even when life is not always going right for Him.

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I never said she was unsavable, that isn't what I thought and I do honestly care for her as a person. You just couldn't imagine the experience I had. In any case I prayed to the Lord and I believe He didn't want me to pursue remarriage with her.
I have in the past fellowshipped with those of an anabaptist understanding ( think born again Amish ) . The two big controversies are divorce and remarriage and head coverings . They are fearful of modern christian thought and I get that . As much as I am able , I try to see where we have become spotted by the world . How have we been led by society and influenced by the self-seeking that defines the world . These are difficult and uncomfortable ...particularly when it is opposed to the majority both in and out of church . Does the church mirror society at large ? Are we a reflection of Christ or of the world ? Was that God's purpose in sending Christ ?
We believe many things as everyone does . ( Atheist believe there is no God . ) Jehovah's Witness' believe what they do . Catholic's believe what they do . Muslims ( who pray 7 times a day ) believe what they do . Protestants believe . But belief and faith are not synonyms , otherwise it would not be written to believers to endeavor for the faith once delivered to the saints . Is assurance of salvation a synonym for faith ? ( If one is a baptist, Calvinist or reformed , I think it is . ) Do those who trust scripture as a lamp unto our path , believe it ?
Let the prophets speak two or three and let the other judge . Do we believe that ? Let the older women teach the younger women to love their husbands and love their children . Let the women learn to be keepers at home so that the word of God be not blasphemed .
Many will say that that was a different time . It was not for sin and self will reigned in Corinth and Rome . It is true that careers were not a part of early christian thought for many expected Christ return during their lives and even the concept of a career was off limits to many of the "rift-raft" that made up MOST of the early Christians . ( Pre -Constantine) . I am afraid we have adopted western thought and the budget of many churches require two income families . Thus the plague of divorce , schools raising our children and preachers not able to speak the truth without it costing them their incomes . This is where we are .

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I kind of find it strange that you come to the conclusion that scripture is wrong and not that you simply misunderstand the meaning of the verse. Could you at least provide the verses that you are interpreting? John wrote Revelation, that should tell you something shouldn't it? To me it says that I better pay attention to every word he said.

Of course Christians do fail God and fall into sin and backslide, because the Lord made provision for them by grace as it says in 1 John 2:1 that if anyone sins, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. That doesn't excuse our sins, and we are responsible to obey what God tells us to do. Yet we fail, however, there is hope because the Holy Spirit in us will put to death the deeds of the body as it promises in Romans 8:13

My opinion is that the verses you are referring to are talking about willful persistent sin. It is transmitting the idea I believe that a genuine Christian won't live in sin, at least for long. I don't think the scripture is presenting the idea that one sin disqualifies you from salvation. What a heavy burden they are laying at your feet. The scripture as a whole talks about grace which is unmerited favor. However it doesn't gloss over Gods judgment either. However in Jesus Christ we find the bridge to be reconciled to God. When we receive the reconciliation in our hearts then we can serve God in joy instead of fear.
Have to get into the Greek text of that passage, as it is not made fully clear in the English translation of what John meant here to us! Basically, he is ststaing that one cannot profess that Jesus saved them, if they are persisting and continuing in their same lifestyle as was in before claiming was saved! NOT saying sinless, but must have a definite change in lifestyle after saved!

Upvote 0