The Bible's Laws on Divorce and Remarriage.

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
But I find Catholics get around the restrictions by simply having their marriages illegitimately annulled. After having 5 kids and over 20 years of marriage my mother divorced my father (who was a staunch Catholic) in the courts. After a while my father starting dating and wanted to marry a woman he found and so went to the Catholic Church to try to nullify his first marriage. He got denied at the first one, but got the OK at a different diocese on the basis that his first wife hadn't taken the marriage vow seriously, and thereby turning his kids (including myself) into illegitimate bastards. And that's one way they get around the Catholic restrictions. If one goes to the courts to divorce, the other can nullify the marriage on the basis that the spouse hadn't taken the vow seriously.

No. It does not make you illegitimate. Ask a priest.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I do not disagree with you. My post was misleading and I do regret it. It is best sometimes not even to bring up those very rare possible exceptions, as such can be misinterpreted. Personally, I cannot imagine myself ever hitting a woman and never have.

Perhaps. It's such a crucial issue, that one is compelled to clarify the details.

Thank you for your gracious clarification, Basil. And thank you and God bless you for not participating in what is often, "wanton violence".

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would say that living in separate places and having a restraining order on them but not being divorced until they are reformed would be the appropriate action to take biblically. Jesus did not give us any other reason besides divorce except for unfaithfulness.
you d understand that a lot of these creeps stalk their wives and a piece of paper doesn’t stop them . John Muhammad the DC Sniper killed several strangers to make it seem that a serial killer targeted his wife . She was the one he was really after.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fornication is "casual sex", whereas adultery is unfaithfulness. Two people that are having casual sex are fornicating, but aren't necessarily committing adultery.
You have to look at the words in the Greek. Remember it is not just Koine Greek, but Judeo-Koine Greek. A sub dialect used by the Jewish diaspora. So inappropriate contentia (fornication) means anything that violates Torah sexual mores. That is a lot more than casual sex.

The words translated adultery however mean the violation of a covenant.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no provision for divorce in the new covenant. All marriage religious or otherwise is permanent broken only by death.
If you believe this is what our Lord taught, then you are of the opinion that He sinned greatly by teaching contrary to the Law.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Perhaps. It's such a crucial issue, that one is compelled to clarify the details.

Thank you for your gracious clarification, Basil. And thank you and God bless you for not participating in what is often, "wanton violence".
You are most welcome. I must have been in a haze today to make the post that I did. Again, I take a back seat to no one on this subject, at least no man anyway. I doubt that any man can feel quite the same on this subject as women do.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You are most welcome. I must have been in a haze today to make the post that I did. Again, I take a back seat to no one on this subject, at least no man anyway. I doubt that any man can feel quite the same on this subject as women do.

You raise a good point. Perhaps only God, besides abused women, can.

Isaiah 54 comes to mind.

Your gracious post is appreciated.

God bless you Basil.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
you d understand that a lot of these creeps stalk their wives and a piece of paper doesn’t stop them . John Muhammad killed several strangers to make it seem that a serial killer targeted his wife.

To live is Christ and to die is gain.
Fear not the one who can destroy the body but fear the One who can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Such a thing was unheardof in ancient Jewish society.
. Wife beating until death was not only heard of it was allowed, men had absolute control over their wives and female children . Japheth killed his daughter over a stupid vow . Lot offered his daughters to be gang raped and/or murdered . Women’s lives weren’t worth much to these Bronze Age people . I don’t see why this bronze age based misogynistic morality has to be in control of our modern lives .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Worst of all, what if you were married to Trump!!!!
even though the comment was funny, Trump is a narcissist and those are just the kind of men who become wife beaters or worse murderers . They control every aspect of another’s life and they don’t care if what they do hurts another as long as they get their way. He cheated on all of his wives the last, with a inappropriate content star while his wife was pregnant . We’re New Yorkers , we were familiar with trump , he lives here normally. Why do you think we didn’t vote for him?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
To live is Christ and to die is gain.

It is written that we are not to "die" before our "time".

It would be a sin of the masochistic twisted kind to participate, and aid and abet the odious, twisted, and evil sin(s) of a spouse deliberately and with forethought, systematically destroying a spouse and/or children in wanton violence.

To claim it is of God that a horrific torture, terror, and "death" on anyone trapped in this wicked cycle putting more boulders on those already weighed down horrifically. It's oppressive and the antithesis to what we are mandated to do, and that is to snatch those headed for death, and to speak up for and defend them and to bring them justice. etc.

Turning a blind eye and deaf ear to the cries of those headed for death and destruction is a sin.

It's in Isaiah, as well as elsewhere in God's Word.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
I once thought that the Catholic annulment process was kind of neat and in theory I still do. However, there seems to be something amiss with the whole thing, as reportedly the number of annulments issued has climbed dramatically in recent decades. Hence, I find it hard to believe that 100% of the annulments granted are really valid.

I believe you are mistaken in this matter, Basil, since, as Francis has pointed out, the world has become so secular that Catholic institutions have been affected and thus many people, even baptised in the church and educated in Catholic schools are significantly ignorant of the nature of a Christian marriage as taught by the Catholic church - evidently their parents failed in that, as well, to a certain extent.

In human affairs things are seldom all 'black and white', particularly when so many do not have a cushion of either love or money or both. And that is why Francis talks about accompanying people in difficult situations, like our merciful Father and his Son, the Good Shepherd.... who leave sthe flock unattended, while he goes looking for a sheep wandered off.

I think there was a scandal earlier, when rich people and royals seemed to find it much easier than the rest of us to obtain an annulment, and that is something that has been remedied to a certain extent, but Francis really wants people who, one way or another, made an ill-advised, unhappy marriage, to receive every help to rejoin the 'communicant' flock ; not least, perhaps, for the sake of their young children, who would ask why their parents didn't receive Holy Communion.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And it’s not just physical violence that always the problem. Emotional abuse and overcontrol can be horrible and in some cases can be worse than rarely occurring violence . Only someone who’s lived with a narcissistic abuser can tell you the pure agony of being around one. Divorce the creep and if you want to, get a better man and I’ll tell that to any woman who asks.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Justification for divorce is not the same as justification for a remarriage, seeing as marriage lasts for the life of the spouse (Rom 7:2). I view Biblical divorce is no more than a separation. Even God got divorced. "I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce and sent her away because of all her adulteries." Is 3:8 Yet a few verses later he still acknowledges himself as her husband. "Return, faithless people," declares the LORD, "for I am your husband. " Jer 3:14

So, then, the congregation will meet all that woman's (and her children's) needs in replacement of a husband, right? Because that will maker her children fatherless, and we can't allow the needs of the fatherless to go unmet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
So, then, the congregation will meet all that woman's (and her children's) needs in replacement of a husband, right? Because that will maker her children fatherless, and we can't allow the needs of the fatherless to go unmet.
In this day and age there's alimony available and child support without requiring remarriage.

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
You are arguing with the words of the Bible and not me.
Brother ..No , Jesus ( and His word) in the bible are very clear for Mary was considered married ( betrothed ) to Joseph . Fornication only happens prior to the consummation . Joseph could have put Mary away but would have had no grounds for having her stoned even under Jewish law . The penalty for adultery was death and that is old covenant . A husband can not put away his wife for adultery and marry another ...Only for fornication which happens prior to the consummation . ( The Jews to whom Jesus said this to were under the old covenant . )
A christian man or woman's first reaction to a spouse in adultery is a concern for their eternal salvation ...Not do they have the right to divorce and remarry . The problem today is every one is offended if they have been cheated on ...never having considered that they also have "cheated on God " more times than they are aware . I am not of course advocating that it is ok to cheat but rather that it should drive them to their knees in intercessory prayer for their lost spouse for Christ also died for the lost .
Regarding an abusive spouse ...were they a devout and Godly man ( woman ) when you married them ? Did you ask God if you should get married or stay single ...Is there a chance that you did not discern ( or care ) about God'd will ? These are questions that the individual should ask themselves . There are reasons to let the unbeliever depart but never are we given permission to remarry ...we are just not bound ...This agrees with both our Lord , Jesus Christ and the apostle sent to the gentiles , Paul ..For marriage , like ALL things are about Jesus Christ ...Not my happiness or my life .

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I would say it certainly is a sin to deliberately physically harm anyone, especially a family member, save in self defense. Having said that, no doubt some might claim that physical discipline does not necessarily = spousal abuse. I suppose that this is the case. However, it certainly borders on it and is no longer considered acceptable for a man to hit his wife, except I guess in the rare circumstance where a wife might be about to harm herself or others.

Medieval church canons permitted a husband to hit his wife with a switch no thicker than his thumb. It's still in the Orthodox church canons, though not widely recognized, and it was also in the early American Puritans laws as well.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In this day and age there's alimony available and child support without requiring remarriage.

Maybe, maybe not. Alimony and child support equate to a mean existence, if it's available. A man who had been abusive might just find it easier to leave the state.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Medieval church canons permitted a husband to hit his wife with a switch no thicker than his thumb. It's still in the Orthodox church canons, though not widely recognized, and it was also in the early American Puritans laws as well.
This is news to me, but I am not too surprised. After all, lest we ever forget, probably tens of thousands of women were put to death during the witch trials in Central Europe, most from 1580-1630. For some reason, the witch craze seems to have escaped the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox areas. Sadly, some of the Catholic and Protestant nations will never live done the shame of burning people at the stake for witchcraft, of which Wikipedia says 80% were women.

Upvote 0