Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The two, justification and sanctification, cannot be separated.

No one believes that they can be separated. But Reformed Christians maintain that they must be distinguished. It's interesting that you distinguish them here as if they can be understood as separate concepts. The RCC error is to conflate them entirely.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There is only one issue that will form the basis of God's judgment when we all stand before Him on that Day. It will be whether we have accepted or rejected Christ.

It doesn't matter how much we have sinned, if we have accepted Christ and been converted and have been regularly confessing our sins, keeping short accounts with God, we will escape the Judgment because we have judged ourselves already and have turned totally to Christ. But it doesn't matter how religious or moral a person is, if they have not received Christ and been genuinely converted, they will be judged as having rejected Christ.

All other issues fade into insignificance at the Judgment when the issue of our attitude to Christ comes up before God.

Does God count us as righteous when we accept Christ? If so, on what basis does he declare us to be righteous?

• Useful
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No one believes that they can be separated. But Reformed Christians maintain that they must be distinguished. It's interesting that you distinguish them here as if they can be understood as separate concepts. The RCC error is to conflate them entirely.
Well, first of all I didn't separate them, the Reformers did a good job of that to begin with. The RCC simply has the more balanced doctrine, knowing how and why we're saved, are being saved, and will be saved, with our cooperation, yet impossible without grace, without God IOW.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Well, first of all I didn't separate them, the Reformers did a good job of that to begin with. The RCC simply has the more balanced doctrine, knowing how and why we're saved, are being saved, and will be saved, with our cooperation, yet impossible without grace, without God IOW.

No I'm afraid the RCC is very incorrect on justification. Their mistake sadly stems from Augustine who could not see the difference between justification and sanctification. Justification is a forensic declaration, an act of God. It is based on the imputed righteousness of Christ. Whereas sanctification is an infusion of grace, an existential change in character, and a growth in holiness throughout life. Both of these things are included in salvation and they cannot be separated in salvation.

But the RCC error has been to say that Christ's righteousness is not imputed to the believer. Believers are not considered to be perfectly righteous in God's eyes and worthy of his blessings. And a person is not justified until they are finally glorified in heaven. All of this is unscriptural.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Does God count us as righteous when we accept Christ? If so, on what basis does he declare us to be righteous?
The Scripture says: "Repent and be converted, that your sins be blotted out." What this means is that us accepting Christ is the repenting part. Christ accepting us is the work that the Holy Spirit does in us to convert us to Him. This is no automatic, it must be the result of seeking God with all our heart. Once we are genuinely converted, because Jesus became sin for us, conversion causes us to become the righteousness of God in Christ.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

yes. Faith in Christ's atoning sacrifice and our one and only High priest "who ever lives to make intercession for us".

Upvote 0

misput

JimD
Sep 5, 2018
Pacific, Mo.
✟153,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

So you would say that "faith" is the basis of God's judgment? How perfect must my faith be in order to be counted righteous
James says "perfect enough to cause us to do good works".

PS: God not being able to look on sin is a misinterpretation of scripture.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Does this create a problem for fellowship with God? If so, how do you believe this problem is solved?

I don't believe in "fellowship" with God since I'm not a god. I'm a child of God who looks up to God with worship and reverence. He is almighty and all knowing, the creator of the heavens and earth, the father of all people, more than trillions of people, the king of kings, lord of lords. Can you really fellowship with him? I wouldn't try it myself. If you look up to God this way then that should solve the problem I think. Does that make sense? :)

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
How perfect must my faith be in order for me to be acceptable to God?

As much as God is willing to give you. Romans 12. Bear in mind that one must be reborn in order to be saved: John 3

Scripture says that God cannot look upon sin (Habakkuk 1:13). This means that he cannot bear with sin without ultimately judging it. It cannot stand before him forever.

Agreed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll be judged on the basis of the righteousness of Christ, not my own. That's how I know I have nothing to fear in that regard.

Therefore there is no condemnation..!

Reactions: SeventyOne
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a Lutheran. Imputed righteousness is kind of a big deal for us.

-CryptoLutheran

Good Day, Crypto

Not a Lutheran .. but love him, and it is a big deal to me as well the great exchange!

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...for those in Christ.

Yes Indeed.. no condemnation of the law. Two sides of the law 1. Obedience and if not 2. condemnation.

Jesus for-filled both sides we are not condemned we are in Christ.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No I'm afraid the RCC is very incorrect on justification. Their mistake sadly stems from Augustine who could not see the difference between justification and sanctification. Justification is a forensic declaration, an act of God. It is based on the imputed righteousness of Christ. Whereas sanctification is an infusion of grace, an existential change in character, and a growth in holiness throughout life. Both of these things are included in salvation and they cannot be separated in salvation.

But the RCC error has been to say that Christ's righteousness is not imputed to the believer. Believers are not considered to be perfectly righteous in God's eyes and worthy of his blessings. And a person is not justified until they are finally glorified in heaven. All of this is unscriptural.
So then, are you saying that justification, alone, does not qualify one for entrance into heaven, due to both, justification and salvation, being "included in salvation"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So then, are you saying that justification, alone, does not qualify one for entrance into heaven?

There is no creature who is justified alone. All who are justified are also regenerated, sanctified, and ultimately glorified.

But our justification based on Christ's merits alone constitutes our right standing with God and our being considered righteous in his sight. Our regeneration, sanctification, and glorification do not contribute to our justification.

• Agree
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is no creature who is justified alone. All who are justified are also regenerated, sanctified, and ultimately glorified.

But our justification based on Christ's merits alone constitutes our right standing with God and our being considered righteous in his sight. Our regeneration, sanctification, and glorification do not contribute to our justification.
Ok, so ultimately do the others contribute to our salvation? Do we need anything more that "right standing with God" to gain entrance to heaven?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Ok, so ultimately do the others contribute to our salvation? Do we need anything more that "right standing with God" to gain entrance to heaven?

The others are essential aspects of our salvation. When God saves us he forgives our sins and accepts us as righteous in his sight based on the merits of Christ alone (justification). But he also washes our hearts by the Holy Spirit in regenerating us. He also causes us to grow in love and holiness over time. And he also ultimately glorifies us by totally removing sin and giving us imperishable bodies.

Our salvation cannot lack any of these things because we need them all.

The Roman Catholic error has been to conflate justification with sanctification and suggest that our imperfect sanctification threatens our right standing with God (justification). The Catholics do not view justification as a complete act of God, a declaration of righteousness based upon the perfect righteousness of Christ. The Catholics believe that our imperfect righteousness contributes positively or negatively to our justification.

• Winner
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The others are essential aspects of our salvation. When God saves us he forgives our sins and accepts us as righteous in his sight based on the merits of Christ alone (justification). But he also washes our hearts by the Holy Spirit in regenerating us. He also causes us to grow in love and holiness over time. And he also ultimately glorifies us by totally removing sin and giving us imperishable bodies.

The Roman Catholic error has been to conflate justification with sanctification and suggest that our imperfect sanctification threatens our right standing with God (justification). The Catholics do not view justification as a complete act of God, a declaration of righteousness based upon the perfect righteousness of Christ. The Catholics believe that our imperfect righteousness contributes positively or negatively to our justification.
Ok, but you seem to be saying that our imperfect sanctification may threaten our salvation since you maintain that justification alone is insufficient, and sanctification is necessarily included in salvation. Or is regeneration, cleansing, santifying all part of justification in the end? Is it one whole package? Does a person, once justified, have assurance of salvation?

In Catholic theology, once a person is justified, their salvation is assured; nothing stands between them and heaven. But from that point they're expected to continue to walk in that justice, and grow in it even, impossible unless they remain in Christ and He in them. This communion is actually the essence of their justice, their spiritual life. This is where cooperation with God, striving, working out our salvation with He who works in us, comes into play.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Indeed:

Romans 8: ESV
28And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. 29For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; 30and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.

31What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? 32He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? 33Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; 34who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. 35Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

36Just as it is written,
“FOR YOUR SAKE WE ARE BEING PUT TO DEATH ALL DAY LONG;
WE WERE CONSIDERED AS SHEEP TO BE SLAUGHTERED.”

37But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Upvote 0