The Antichrist

Status
Not open for further replies.

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by kimanne
Ed - Some of us are so quick to judge who has salvation and who does not, and what church will or will not lead people to Christ. If a Catholic believes that Jesus is their Lord and Savior, if they truly believe... salvation is theirs according to my Bible. That's not to say that I agree with all their beliefs, but some areas of belief are not essential to salvation. Those non-essential areas are great for debate, but your harsh, judgemental approach is likely to turn Catholics, as well as other Christians, away. As Christians, I feel it's important not to insert a wedge between us. I don't think you should lose your saltiness, but your saltiness should also contain a more loving approach.

kimanne,

Are you in these boards to seek the truth or are you here to evangelize what you THINK is true?

If you are here to seek the TRUTH, then a little saltiness should not bother you at all. However, if you are in these boards for the latter, then like the saying goes, "if you can't endure the heat, get out of the kitchen!"

What I am posting in these boards are direct quotations from the Bible. Sure, the TRUTH hurts but then, if you are NOT profitting from preaching a FALSE doctrine, why stick with it?

We are NOT against Catholics. Some Catholics are my relatives and a lot of them are my friends. What I am against are Catholic doctrines which lead to destruction instead of salvation.

Your belief that a Catholic who believes that Jesus is his Lord and savior is SAVED is FALSE. The Bible does NOT support this FALSE teaching. And I cannot bear to see people go down to the "lake of fire" because of a FALSE sense of security.

Isn't that what you might call love?

Edpobre

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by Debbie
That's ok, Edprobe doesn't understand the basic doctrine of salvation according to scripture. Evidently he adheres to a false doctrine of salvation.

debbie,

I have always considered other people better than I am until they come out DISPROVING themselves and looking DUMB.

Since it is your judgment that I don't understand the basic doctrine of salvation "according to scripture," do you mind educating me on this?

I will be witing expectantly for a lesson on salvation. Plese don't forget the "according to scripture" part. Thanks.

Edpobre

Upvote 0

Debbie

Dec 11, 2001
Visit site
✟1,142.00
ED, you are the one who has been denying in 2 pages that recieving CHrist as your Saviour is not salvation. Since you don't believe scripture, it would be pointless to quote it.
You are the one making accusations here telling us salvation is not through Christ & we believe false doctrine.
It appears to me that you are playing a game.
You obviously have a differnt view of salvation so it is necessary for you to tell us, we arn't guessing.

Upvote 0

fieldmouse3

Contributor
Feb 14, 2002
Washington State
Visit site
✟8,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't done too much research on the antichrist myself, so this question might seem a bit obvious to those of you that have. I'll risk it, though....does it say anywhere that the antichrist absolutely has to be a man? Is there any possibility that it could be a woman?

Upvote 0

camaro540

Jan 28, 2002
Visit site
✟15,744.00
Faith
Messianic
It is told that the antichrist is going to rise out of somewhere in
Europe. It explains it plain and simple in the book of rev., and
daniel. it will not be an arab or bin boy, but instead a europeon.
antichrist will seduce the world then form the one world
government.

Just wondering where that scripture is?
Just because the Anti-Christ rises out of Europe, does not mean
he will be Europeon.......

But if it's in scripture, I will read it and stand corrected..

Thanks
Patrick

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by fieldmouse3
I haven't done too much research on the antichrist myself, so this question might seem a bit obvious to those of you that have. I'll risk it, though....does it say anywhere that the antichrist absolutely has to be a man? Is there any possibility that it could be a woman?

Actually, Antichrist is only described as a spirit or a movement, never an individual.
Nowhere in scripture can we find any evidence that there is "Mr. (or Ms.) one and only Antichrist".

"Who is THE antichrist?"
That is a question that rings through out the religious communities of today. There are all kinds of theories being taught concerning the personality, actions, and identity of this antichrist. We have heard it being proclaimed that the antichrist was Hitler, Stalin, Nikita Khrushchev, Moammar Kadhafi, Saddam Hussein, and the list goes on and on. Of course, these have proven to be wrong. Is it finally time for us to go back and find out what the Bible teaches? The answer is so simple and so easy but, because of our religious training, it is oh so hard to accept.

The word "antichrist" is only used four times in the scriptures, all by the apostle John. Surprisingly, the word "antichrist" never appears in the book of Revelation. What do we find to be John’s description? Let us consider these verses.

Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us (1 John 2:18, 19).

So what do we know from this passage?

1. John’s first century readers knew this antichrist was coming.

2. It was the "last hour" at the time John was writing in the first century. The question is "the last hour of what?" Obviously, it was not the last hour of physical earth for it has continued nearly 2000 years beyond John’s statement.

3. This movement was already present when John was writing and was made up of "many antichrists". John uses their presence as proof that it was then already the last hour.

4. These "antichrists" were former church members who had left the faith. John’s antichrist was of Christian origin. It was not a single individual.

Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son (1 John 2:22).

1. John was obviously not pleased by these people.

2. They were denying that Jesus was the Christ.

and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world (1 John 4:3).

1. The root of the problem is now seen to be the denial "that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh."

2. This false teaching was already present at the time of John’s writing in the first century.

For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist (2 John 1:7)

1. These people were former church members who had gone out into the world.

2. The root of the problem is again seen concerning "Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh."

So what do we know from John concerning "antichrist?" This "last hour" movement was a first century group of former members of the church who had forsaken the faith, teaching that Jesus Christ had not come in the flesh. John used this to prove that they were living in the "last days."

A popular false teaching of that time was that "all flesh was evil." Some believed strongly in the divinity of Christ (that Jesus was the Son of God) but because of their erroneous belief that all flesh was evil, they wrongly concluded that the divine Christ could not have put on this supposed evil flesh. However, both the divinity and the humanity of Christ are crucial to the Christian faith.

The first century problem was vastly different from our 21st century problem. The first century people had trouble accepting the "humanity" of Christ while 21st century people have trouble accepting the "divinity" of Christ. Both the "divinity" of Jesus (being the son of God) and the "humanity" (being in the flesh) are crucial to the Christian faith. Today, most people accept the historical fleshly Jesus but many have trouble accepting that he was the Son of God.

One can see from these verses that these people were not persecutors, as is now commonly taught, but that they were false teachers. There is no statement or even a hint that they ever persecuted anyone. Oh how our theories have grown since the first century. This problem has been aggravated by the improper grouping of "antichrist" with "the man of sin" and the "beast" of Revelation. These are three different entities and should not be confused.

The teaching of "antichrist" is not teaching about 21st century events but rather it is teaching about first century events that were occurring as John was writing.

To tear these verses out of their first century historical settings and to attempt to apply them to current day events, of which they were never intended, does great disservice to the passages. The first century Christians stood in the face of much persecution and apostasy. May we be willing to uphold God’s teachings as found in his Word, the Bible.

Peace in Christ,
P70

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very interesting topic...i usually dont say much but im throwing in my 2 cents worth.

I will never know who the anti-christ is. And if you find out who it is...that is probably a bad thing since youve been left behind. So i never waste my time trying to pinpoint the anti-christ. To me there are too many other things (eg. witnessing) to do with my time.

As Christians I think we should be looking for Christ's return.....not the anti-christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
The Anti-Christ will be the calm quiet voice among the caos after the rapture. He will, of course have reached some sort of prominance prior to the rapture. Of course this view depends on the pre-trib belief that I have. Others believe in mid-trib or post trib with some good points. I still believe that most scripture points to pre trib rapture and if so the Amti-Christ will have little effect on the saved who will be caught up. Woe to those left to deal with the Tribulation.
Deacon Dan :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

TRUTH

Prove All things! 1 Thes 5:21
Jan 22, 2002
Visit site
✟233.00
Notice that the true church is protected by God - but on earth - just as he protected Noah and Lot and delivered Israel from Egypt.

Rev 7:3 saying, "Do not harm the earth, the sea, or the trees till we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads."
4 And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed:

Rev 12:13 Now when the dragon saw that he had been cast to the earth, he persecuted the woman who gave birth to the male Child.
14 But the woman was given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place, where she is nourished for a time and times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent.
15 So the serpent spewed water out of his mouth like a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away by the flood.
16 But the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed up the flood which the dragon had spewed out of his mouth.
17 And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, WHO KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Then when Christ returns - AFTER the 3 1/2 years 942 months)of the tribulation:

1 Thes 4:16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.
17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.

But He doesn't return until the 7th trumpet after the majority of mankind has been tortured and killed.

Rev 14:1 Then I looked, and behold, a Lamb standing on Mount Zion, and with Him one hundred and forty-four thousand, having His Father's name written on their foreheads.

Notice the reocurring number of saints that make it into the first resurrection - 144,000 witht he fathers name on their forhead -

Exo 13:9 "It shall be as a sign to you on your hand and as a memorial between your eyes , that the Lord's LAW may be in your mouth;

Rev 20:5 But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection.

They are not in heaven, but dead awaiting the second resurrection:

Acts 24:15 "I have hope in God, which they themselves also accept, that there will be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and the unjust.

The unjust have not gone hopelessly to 'hell' which merely means grave or pit - everyione has gone to hell for that matter. They have merely fallen asleep

(Mat 27:52 NKJV) and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;

(1 Cor 15:6 NKJV) After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep.

(1 Cor 15:18 NKJV) Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.

(1 Cor 15:20 NKJV) But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.

(1 Th 4:13 NKJV) But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
ROME IS THE ONLY GEOGRAPHICAL CITY THAT SITS ON 7 HILLS AND DESCRIBED IN REVELATION

:clap: :wave: yey , I agreeee :clap:

I been saying that for years but no one listens :scratch:

look at what the Catholic encyclopedia says about the anti christ.
This is from the catholic encyclopaedia under the word “antichrist”
Just for the record, look at what the catholic encyc. says the apostles believe the antichrist was. I found this fascinating.

A. In the Johannine Epistles St. John supposes in his Epistles that the early Christians are acquainted with the teaching concerning the coming of Antichrist. "You have heard that Antichrist cometh" (1 John 2:18); "This is Antichrist, of whom you have heard that he cometh" (1 John 4:3). Though the Apostle speaks of several Antichrists, he distinguishes between the many and the one principal agent: "Antichrist cometh, even now there are become many Antichrists" (1 John 2:18). Again, the writer outlines the character and work of Antichrist: "They went out from us, but they were not of us" (1 John 2;19); "Who is a liar, but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is Antichrist, who denies the Father, and the Son" (1 John 2:22); "And every spirit that dissolveth Jesus, is not of God; and this is Antichrist" (1 John 4:3); "For many seducers are gone out into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh: this is a seducer and an Antichrist" (2 John 7). Also the time, the Apostle places the coming of Antichrist at "the last hour" (1 John 2:18); again he maintains that "he is now already in the world" (1 John 4:3). .

In the Pauline Epistles

St. John supposes that the doctrine concerning the coming of Antichrist is already known to his readers; many commentators believe that it had become known in the Church through the writings of St. Paul. St. John urged against the heretics of his time that those who denied the mystery of the Incarnation were faint images of the future great Antichrist. The latter is described more fully in II Thessalonians 2:3, sqq., 7-10. In the Church of Thessalonica disturbances had occurred on account of the belief that the second coming of Jesus Christ was imminent. This impression was owing partly to a misunderstanding of I Thessalonians 4:15, sqq., partly to the machinations of deceivers. It was with a view of remedying these disorders that St. Paul wrote his Second Epistle to the Thessalonians, inserting especially 2:3-10. The Pauline doctrine is this: "the day of the Lord" will be preceded by "a revolt", and the revelation of the "man of sin." The latter will sit in the temple of God, showing himself as if he were God; he will work signs and lying wonders by the power of Satan; he will seduce those who received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved; but the Lord Jesus shall kill him with the spirit of His mouth, and destroy him with the brightness of His coming. As to the time, "the mystery of iniquity already worketh; only that he who now holdeth, do hold, until he be taken out of the way." Briefly, the "day of the Lord" will be preceded by the "man of sin" known in the Johannine Epistles as Antichrist; the "man of sin" is preceded by "a revolt," or a great apostasy; this apostasy is the outcome of the "mystery of iniquity" which already "worketh", and which, according to St. John, shows itself here and there by faint types of Antichrist. The Apostle gives three stages in the evolution of evil: the leaven of iniquity, the great apostasy, and the man of sin. But he adds a clause calculated to determine the time of the main event more accurately; he describes something first as a thing (to datechon), then as a person (ho katechon), preventing the occurrence of the main event: "Only he who now holdeth, do hold, until he be taken out of the way." We can here only enumerate the principal opinions as to the meaning of this clause without discussing their value:

The Apostle gives three stages in the evolution of evil: the leaven of iniquity, the great apostasy, and the man of sin

LOOK AT THIS

“The Apostle gives three stages in the evolution of evil: the leaven of iniquity, the great apostasy, and the man of sin”

Antichrist
(Greek Antichristos)

This excludes the contention of those who explain Antichrist either as the whole collection of those who oppose Jesus Christ, or as the Papacy. The Waldensian and Albigensian heretics, as well as Wyclif and Hus, called the Pope by the name of Antichrist; but the expression was only a metaphor in their case. It was only after the time of the Reformation that the name was applied to the Pope in its proper sense. It then passed practically into the creed of the Lutherans, and has been seriously defended by them as late as 1861 in the "Zeitschrift für lutherische Theologie".

All that was straight from the catholic encyclopedia and it appears to me that it very well could be the leaven of iniquity being the change in doctrine after the apostles past on.
The apostate appears to be the time from the nicean council in 325 ad were the trinity was born and jesus incarnation came into question.
the man of sin that sits in the temple of god saying he is god would also fit the papacy office.
I am not out to offend anyone but if these things are not addressed because of offence then how can we find the truth in all this deception, especially after the biggest thing about the antichrist is that he will even deceive the elect if it were possible. The antichrist system can be identified by its deception of who the true Jesus is.

As the catholic encyclopaedia says: it will deal with the incarnation of who Jesus is. They will deceive us into believing Jesus is something that he is not. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.