Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Bishop Kay is married to a man. Her marriage is a non-issue.
Of course not if you ignore scripture but when it says an overseer/elder/bishop has to be the husband of one wife, then it is an issue.

God did not put that in his word because he thought it was a good idea at the time.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I wonder how she is going to be the husband of one wife? Lesbian maybe?
I expect your attempting to make a patriarchal statement but IMO it just falls into disrespect of a fine leader who you do no respect as a christian by calling her a lesbian. Your comment is shameful.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I expect your attempting to make a patriarchal statement but IMO it just falls into disrespect of a fine leader who you do no respect as a christian by calling her a lesbian. Your comment is shameful.
No, my dear, it was not a patriarchal statement. It related to what the scripture instructs for church leaders which you would know if you had read it.

And I did not call her a lesbian. In your haste to defend female bishops, you read into it what was not there.

In that respect, your response was shameful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We've been over this before, Episaw. Anglicans who ordain women don't ignore Scripture but we understand those passages as instructing monogamy.
How is being the husband of one wife monogamy? I am the husband of one wife but I am not monogamous.

• Agree
Reactions: Truth7t7
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No, my dear, it was not a patriarchal statement. It related to what the scripture instructs for church leaders which you would know if you had read it.

And I did not call her a lesbian. In your haste to defend female bishops, you read into it what was not there.

In that respect, your response was shameful.
I think I understood your intent well. There is nothing shameful about me. You best reflect

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,487.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How is being the husband of one wife monogamy? I am the husband of one wife but I am not monogamous.

I'm not following. Monogamy means having only one spouse. So a monogamous man has only one wife, and a monogamous woman has only one husband.

The point being, some understand the point of this Scripture as being about life-long fidelity, rather than about masculinity, in church leaders.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Bishop Kay's good value. Perth is getting a good thing.

Bit sad for Gippsland, which will need to search for a new bishop...
I think this is such a positive step forward for the Anglican church and Christianity as a whole. Its a positive sign of progressiveness.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Bishop Kay's good value. Perth is getting a good thing.

Bit sad for Gippsland, which will need to search for a new bishop...
I think this is such a positive step forward for the Anglican church and Christianity as a whole. Its a positive sign of progressiveness.

• Agree
Reactions: kiwimac
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course not if you ignore scripture but when it says an overseer/elder/bishop has to be the husband of one wife, then it is an issue.
You are running afoul of a translation or terminology issue. "Bishop" as used in the KJV was a congregational title, not trans-local. But "bishop" as used in the RCC, Anglican church and others is not a position of congregational leadership, but one of trans-local authority.

Even Paul (who was an apostle) could not have been a congregational leader, not being married. But apparently those strictures did not apply to trans-local leaders. In Rom 16.7, a woman (Junia) is listed as being an apostle.

Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then you are divorced and remarried?

Stay away from congregational leadership in that case.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This was one of the reasons I didn't feel right about becoming an Anglican. I have always felt that having women in leadership roles in the church is a sign of apostasy. When women are forced to take positions of leadership, it is a sign that the men have become derelict in their duties.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.