Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The Texas National Guard has seized control of a public park located near the southern border between the United States and Mexico, marking a new step in the state’s ongoing fight with the Biden administration over border policies.

According to Bill Melugin, a Fox News reporter, the Texas Military Department confirmed that the National Guard took control of Shelby Park in Eagle Pass, Texas, this week and began restricting federal officials from accessing the park. The Texas Military Department claimed federal immigration authorities “perpetuate illegal crossings” at the southern border.
Melguin reported that Texas set up fences and razor wire at Shelby Park to “block the area off from the public and federal government.” The Texas National Guard’s move comes as the Biden administration has engaged in efforts to remove the state’s barbed wire in the area that was put up to reduce illegal border crossings.

Before responding to this thread, I ask that you all please read the entirety of the rest of this article. Thank you.

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a big deal. The public park belongs to the city, not the state or the feds. I didn't know that Texas has its own military department.
americanmilitarynew said:
n a legal filing by the Department of Homeland Security, the Biden administration noted that Texas started restricting federal officials’ access to Shelby Park on Wednesday. The Department of Homeland Security requested that the Supreme Court issue a ruling against the state and grant full authority over the border park to federal officials.

If you missed it, HERE[/b is the USCS filing of Homeland Security vs Texas

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I ain't no expert in state and city laws for the state of Texas. However, it does appear that the governor and the Texas National Guard (which is different from the Texas Army National Guard) does have the authority to seize and use Shelby Park there at Eagle Pass, Tx.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

RonJohnSilver

Nov 1, 2023
Temple
✟13,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The border patrol was apparently relieved to be free of the burden of patrolling the park. With the local police handling that aspect, the feds were then free to return to their normal duties of trying to keep the border safe. Another federal govt. invasion which is probably illegal, certainly idiotic but then, that's nothing new from this administration.

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I ain't no expert in state and city laws for the state of Texas. However, it does appear that the governor and the Texas National Guard (which is different from the Texas Army National Guard) does have the authority to seize and use Shelby Park there at Eagle Pass, Tx.
Research, research, research. The Texas National Guard they’re referring to IS the Texas Army National Guard. Same thing. You should really keep yourself up to speed with some knowledge about what you post. Otherwise you just look stupid.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The US Constitution prohibits states from having their own armies, so I'm reasonably certain you're wrong here. States can have a militia, but state militia is ultimately under federal control as well.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The border patrol was apparently relieved to be free of the burden of patrolling the park. With the local police handling that aspect, the feds were then free to return to their normal duties of trying to keep the border safe. Another federal govt. invasion which is probably illegal, certainly idiotic but then, that's nothing new from this administration.

huh?

Where's the federal government here and what did they invade?

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The US Constitution prohibits states from having their own armies, so I'm reasonably certain you're wrong here. States can have a militia, but state militia is ultimately under federal control as well.
Ah, I don't think so. The US Constitution authorized Congress to raise an army, and gives the government the power to Federalize militias, but does not prohibit the existence of state militias. The state militia was/is the state's army. At least as late as the War of 1812, Federalizing militias seems to have been used in place of a draft, and calling away men from home duty was as much a sticking point with the states then as it would become later. The Militia Act of 1903 essentially turned the militia into the National Guard, but also permitted states to maintain a reserve militia. This would become the Home Guard, and later State Defense Forces. Unlike National Guard units, SDF are maintained solely by each state.

A point I'm not clear on is what's known as the "unorganized militia." I may have seen that in action once with the calling up of an honest-to-goodness posse. Note that "unorganized militia" is not an ad hoc militia, but a unit formed by state authorities, as was that posse.

Fortunately the reason the posse was called out turned out to be a hoax and the posse was disbanded. Given the changing times, I don't know if law enforcement would risk a posse now.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a big deal. The public park belongs to the city, not the state or the feds. I didn't know that Texas has its own military department.
Every state does, first with the National Guard and second with State Defense Forces. Unless a National Guard unit is federalized, the governor serves as CINC. Note that in Arkansas, Eisenhower federalized the National Guard to prevent them from being ordered by the governor to stop desegregation.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

In an earlier post, I had thought that the article was specifically talking about the Texas State Guard even though the article wrote about the Texas National Guard. However, as Tuur has indicated. The federal government does not have control over the National Guard of any state unless they are federalized by the Pentagon.

On the other hand, the Texas State Guard probably will never come under federal control. I believe that will be true for other states as well with their State Guard.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Research, research, research. The Texas National Guard they’re referring to IS the Texas Army National Guard. Same thing. You should really keep yourself up to speed with some knowledge about what you post. Otherwise you just look stupid.
I apologize for not being perfect. I admit when I am in error and when I make mistakes.
I have apologized for other mistakes as well. However, that doesn't mean that it is okay for you to tell someone that they look stupid.

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I apologize for not being perfect. I admit when I am in error and when I make mistakes.
I have apologized for other mistakes as well. However, that doesn't mean that it is okay for you to tell someone that they look stupid.
I didn’t say you were stupid. I said you’re making yourself look stupid. There’s a difference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Every state does, first with the National Guard and second with State Defense Forces. Unless a National Guard unit is federalized, the governor serves as CINC. Note that in Arkansas, Eisenhower federalized the National Guard to prevent them from being ordered by the governor to stop desegregation.
TexasMilitaryDept said:
The Texas Military Department is composed of the three branches of the military in the state of Texas. These branches are the Texas Army National Guard, the Texas Air National Guard, and the Texas State Guard. All three branches are administered by the state Adjutant General, an appointee of the Governor of Texas, and fall under the command of the Governor.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Woman, children drown as Texas prevents rescue by feds.

Homeland Security echoed Cuellar’s account of the distress call. In a filing to the U.S. Supreme Court on Saturday, Texas acknowledged seizing the city park on the border but said the federal government had mischaracterized its actions and it was trying to resolve any disputes over access.

“In responding to a distress call from the Mexican government, Border Patrol agents were physically barred by Texas officials from entering the park,” Homeland Security said in a statement. “The Texas governor’s policies are cruel, dangerous, and inhumane, and Texas’s blatant disregard for federal authority over immigration poses grave risk]s.”

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Woman, children drown as Texas prevents rescue by feds.

The Texas Governor could care less about human life (interview took place before the latest events at the park and immigrant deaths):

“The only thing that we're not doing is we're not shooting people who come across the border, because of course, the Biden administration would charge us with murder,” Abbott said during the Jan. 5 radio interview with Dana Loesch, a former editor at Breitbart News and spokesperson for the National Rifle Association.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Congressman Henry Cuellar from the Democratic Party has voted with the rest of the Democratic Party 87.9% of the time during the Trump Administration while voting with Donald Trump stance 40.6% of the time. During the 117th Congress, he voted with the Democratic caucus 96.8% of the time. As of August 2023, Cuellar had voted in line with Joe Biden's stated position 96% of the time.
Therefore, I am not shocked that he is placing all the blame upon Texas Governor Abbot's border and enforcement policies for this tragedy where that mother and her kids drowned.

"The Texas Military Department said in a statement Saturday night that one of its units had searched the river after Border Patrol alerted them of the situation but did not find any migrants. The statement did not address the U.S. government’s claims that Texas authorities had “physically barred” Border Patrol agents from entering the park at the time."
"Abbott’s office referred questions about the drownings to the Texas Military Department, which said its security personnel saw Mexican authorities responding to an incident across the river about 45 minutes after Border Patrol made the state aware of the situation. The department said it maintains water rescue equipment and works with local paramedics to assist migrants needing medical care."
“At no time did TMD security personnel along the river observe any distressed migrants, nor did TMD turn back any illegal immigrants from the US during this period,” the department said in the statement."

"Cuellar, who represents a Texas border district, said Mexican authorities alerted the Border Patrol to the distressed migrants struggling in the river late Friday. He said federal agents attempted to call and relay the information to Texas National Guard members at Shelby Park, without success. Agents then visited the entrance to the park but were turned away, according to the congressman, who said they were told a Guard member would be sent to investigate the situation."

Clearly, according to that Politico.com article, there are two opposing viewpoints as to what actually did happen with this tragedy. Which one is the truth? Perhaps only God Almighty Himself knows that answer for certain.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married