Richard2014

Apr 13, 2015
Australia
✟8,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ive noticed a number of reviews and posts on the Sword of Truth series have indicated that the main point of his entire series is to pull us away from the illusion of Religion and better our lives by removing a false belief system and dependency on God.

I myself came into the TV series in College it was all the rage among my friends at the Christian college and many noticed my resemblance to the main character and the fact that my name is also Richard.

I've only just begun the book series myself and delved into the second book The Stone of Tears, and found that it somewhat expands upon the bible, how the sisters of the light have an unflinching devotion to the creator to the extent that they themselves are easily manipulated.

The painful torture of Richard by the mord sith getting worse as he resisted and remained true was similar to my own story in the struggle of faith and conviction. You see I have a rare disease that's only now coming into common knowledge and many within my faith firmly believed that I must have a secret sin that caused God to abandon or allow so much pain to come into my life and I ended up being kicked out by many churches and Christian councillors because they became frustrated with my refusal to admit to some dark sins within my life that must have lead to my illness.

Now that Mast Cell Activation Syndrome, Mast Cell Disease and Mastocytosis are coming to light and gaining actual diagnosis and even some in my church are being diagnosed with them I have been acquitted in a manor whilst none have actually admitted fault or apologized for abusing and berating me for my illness as it was unknown at the time.

Anyway as it says in the books forgiveness is a most powerful magic especially forgiveness to those whove harmed your or those who wont admit. Similar to Jesus's emphasis upon forgiving those around us showing them love turning the other cheek.

Richard himself is beset by many of the issues found within the Christian walk and struggle with belief and its its something personally I identify with.

Now I apologize for the lengthy post, but as I continue reading discouraged by many in my faith to forget the series since it seems to have such a bad reputation.

Id like to ask, is it true what some seem to claim? Are the books a forsaking of all religion? Was Terry Goodkinds primary goal to relieve us of religion?

Or was he like me and many others disillusioned by religion and the many wolves in sheeps clothing that hide amongst the religious set to mislead us?

I thankyou in God for your responses ahead of time and hope for His blessings upon you.

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You see I have a rare disease that's only now coming into common knowledge and many within my faith firmly believed that I must have a secret sin that caused God to abandon or allow so much pain to come into my life and I ended up being kicked out by many churches and Christian councillors because they became frustrated with my refusal to admit to some dark sins within my life that must have lead to my illness.
"There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil." Job did not suffer because of sin. It was apparently so that by trials he would grow more in his relationship with God.

"And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure." Paul also didn't suffer because of sin, if I'm interpreting it right, but to keep him humble. The idea that all suffering is because of some personal failure is not Biblical. I'm sorry you were mistreated. As I haven't read the book series I can't say much on that.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've only just begun the book series myself and delved into the second book The Stone of Tears, and found that it somewhat expands upon the bible

uh... I suppose that's one way to put it lol

I read the book like... hmmm maybe early 2000's? (1st and 2nd, I think I was getting tired of them by 3rd or 4th and may not have finished 3rd). Never saw the series adaptation. Wasn't looking for biblical allegory, alignment or dis-alignment at the time though and wasn't really a Christian, just looking for a good read. I do love "the Wizard's First Rule" though, the basis of magic in the series and it stuck with me forever after

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true."

One could apply that to religious thinking; many people who are not a part of organized religion, feel that organized religion exploits this. It kind of depends of where you are coming from and it's more or less a purely true statement about human nature no matter what you apply it to; definitely one to be aware of. But... not one that prevents me (personally) from being a Christian. As a Christian, I'm not a fan of lies, whether from outside the Christian community, or most especially from within it.

You are reading the series from a perspective of faith and finding in it confirmations and identifications with some of the struggles of the characters. Someone else could read the book from a perspective of anti-faith and find in it confirmations for their world view. As for what Goodkind's intent was, I think he was a good author. I still remember a scene in a cave where the crawlspace was getting smaller and smaller and it felt like I was having trouble breathing even just reading it. It probably doesn't matter too much where exactly the perspective of his writing was coming from; it wasn't something I would recognize as a Christian perspective but I don't think he was spending time deliberately attacking it either, mostly just writing an enjoyable novel with the motive of selling books.*

Hearts find what they are looking for (or at least pieces of it), pretty much anywhere they look, whether it's for Christ or for Mord-Sith ;). I'm sure there are a few exceptions, but I doubt Goodkind's books are one of them.

===
*I could be wrong, it's been 20 years since I read them (and one would hope) my eyes have changed in the meantime. Use yours wisely my friend

Matthew 6:22 The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
books forgiveness is a most powerful magic especially forgiveness to those whove harmed your or those who wont admit.

I love that part; Truth is Truth no matter what book you find it in. You'll find more of it in an uncorrupted or purer form in some places than others, but the heart rejoices and hails it like a long lost friend whenever it sees it.

Upvote 0

Richard2014

Apr 13, 2015
Australia
✟8,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love that part; Truth is Truth no matter what book you find it in. You'll find more of it in an uncorrupted or purer form in some places than others, but the heart rejoices and hails it like a long lost friend whenever it sees it.

"But the heart rejoices and hails it like a long lost friend whenever it sees it" this quote always reminds me of the wellspring of joy I feel in re-re-reading a bible verse I again connect with. I often feel the need to get upon my nees and Thank God again.

Zed always reminds me of the peers in my life whom guided me in my Christian walk. They were few and far between but I'll always remember them.

Reading that line in the books always connected me to Psalms 119:11

Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Richard2014

Apr 13, 2015
Australia
✟8,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find it aggravating that no matter how many times its repeated in the bible that trials and tribulations are not a sign of hearts with sin in them, my church commonly kicked people out when they need the church the most.

Again and again they equate bad experiences in our lives with submission to Satan. We used to have teens in our church when some of them gave into intercourse or drugs the church blaimed their families and asked them all to never return.

In the case of my hometown church it's because our past 3 pastors were spineless and allowed the members free reign. But I've unfortunately seen it elsewhere in my travels.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I find it aggravating that no matter how many times its repeated in the bible that trials and tribulations are not a sign of hearts with sin in them, my church commonly kicked people out when they need the church the most.

Ouch. Yeah that would be painful. Prodigal son returns home and finds the doors barred or faces an inquisition and accounting rather than a rejoicing Father. Keep seeking something else. What denoms have you been visiting? Sounds a bit like Christian Scientists - they would be the extreme version of some of what I'm hearing you talk about from my limited understanding, all physical illness having a spiritual source. I may be misrepresenting though.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the church blaimed their families and asked them all to never return.

That's uh... pretty extreme. I've never seen that in my travels, but I don't doubt that it's out there. This is why God gave us feet ;)

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For a good sci-fi character who (to me) represents what I consider to be a Christ-like attitude, I would recommend Ender Wiggin in Speaker For the Dead. The author was of the Mormon faith, but he captured it well and beautifully in some places. Speaker for the Dead is the second in the Ender series. You might be familiar with the first book "Ender's Game" since it was popular when I was in college and recently they did a movie of it. He's a child in the first book, and the sequel picks up many years later when he is a grown man. (not much like the first book, the author had the idea for the Speaker, didn't know who to make as the adult main character and then thought... waitaminute... what if I make it Ender, all grown up? I'm glad he did.)

Enjoy it sometime, it's amazing and thought provoking. I think you will especially like it in terms of some of the experiences you have been having. 3rd book was good too, then I feel like the series went a little off the rails

If you don't have the time to read the first book, just catch the Ender's Game movie (it's good enough) and then read Speaker.

Upvote 0

Richard2014

Apr 13, 2015
Australia
✟8,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ouch. Yeah that would be painful. Prodigal son returns home and finds the doors barred or faces an inquisition and accounting rather than a rejoicing Father. Keep seeking something else. What denoms have you been visiting? Sounds a bit like Christian Scientists - they would be the extreme version of some of what I'm hearing you talk about from my limited understanding, all physical illness having a spiritual source. I may be misrepresenting though.

My home religion is a bit split unfortunately, my church is one thats held onto the old belief system for as long as it could, we finally got a pastor who lives conservatively yet pushes boundaries and demands acceptance.

Growing up it was hymns only, no guitars, pianos are tolerated but organs are preferred, children in church services were expected to remain quiet and sit with hands folded in their laps, prolongred misfortune and disease were seen as a result of personal sins, allowing a person to return to the church whom had been in sin was seen as they could spread their sins among the general members, if not that their testimonies could inspire children to try the sins they struggled with, it was best they remained outside the church. It was encouraged that people refrain from entertainments at home.

Anyway its a long story but many of our world wide numbers split and form ultra conservative or more liberal groups. My parents chose the conservative.

This is one of the reasons I sought refuge outside the bible however I continued to find strong inspirational forces and advice outside the bible, Lord of The Rings, Boromirs fall and pained pleas for forgiveness and ultimate sacrifice inspired my Christianity. (Pauls writings) and I chose to endure and reach out to my churches even though Narnia and Tolkien's world were seen as devil inspired.

I found great comfort in C.S. Lewis especially Mere Christianity and that oddly lead me to J.K. Rowling. Interestingly enough the first draft of the sorcerer's stone(the philosopher's stone) contained an actual bible verse and I strongly identified with the universe.

The ministry of magic so completely terrified of Voldemort that they completely feared the name much as my church fear Satan and would rather not speak his name James 4:7 you cannot rebuke him if you fear to speak his name.

The first book in the universe emphasizes sacrifices of love the devil cowers when we share love but he rises when we choose to rule by fear my own church was so in fear of the devil that in a way they were doing his own work.

Therefore I find much strength and empowerment in J.K. Rowling, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Oswald Chambers, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks, Frank Peretti, Ted Dekker and other similar writers whom create characters that self sacrifice so much that they show agape an unconditional love to others

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Therefore I find much strength and empowerment in J.K. Rowling, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Oswald Chambers, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks, Frank Peretti, Ted Dekker and other similar writers whom create characters that self sacrifice so much that they show agape an unconditional love to others

Yes, I am a huge fan of Lewis too, he and Tolkien were good friends. If you have not read The Great Divorce, it is a favorite of mine. Pretty sure neither Narnia nor Tolkein's world were "devil inspired". lol

The Great Divorce Quotes by C.S. Lewis

Also Perelandra and the Abolition of Man are wonderful. In the Great Divorce though... he meets a Scotsman who becomes in the novel his mentor and whose work inspired him and he loved, both for it's theology and it's fantasy and most especially for its blend of both. That Scotsman in the Great Divorce was George MacDonald.

Lilith Quotes by George MacDonald

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Richard2014

Apr 13, 2015
Australia
✟8,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I am a huge fan of Lewis too, he and Tolkien were good friends. If you have not read The Great Divorce, it is a favorite of mine. Pretty sure neither Narnia nor Tolkein's world were "devil inspired". lol

My church family and my owb family bought into our old pastors fire and brimstone speeches, that fantasy and imagination were devil inspired. He encouraged parents to discipline and discourage pretending in children, you can find some of it today if you look up Dr. Niel Needley, many delinquents in my church call him Mr. Robot.

Hes one of the voices in my church that strongly discourages imagination and pretending play because he believes it creates distracted adults

With the magic and descriptions of evil in Tolkien's and Lewis's books, witches, wizards, the deep magic the authorities in my church straight up considered them in the same vein as The Necronomicon and The Satan bible lol.

I went to college with students who actually attempted to steal my books to burn them as they considered that it would save my soul lol

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My church family and my owb family bought into our old pastors fire and brimstone speeches, that fantasy and imagination were devil inspired. He encouraged parents to discipline and discourage pretending in children, you can find some of it today if you look up Dr. Niel Needley, many delinquents in my church call him Mr. Robot. Hes one of the voices in my church that strongly discourages imagination and pretending play because he believes it creates distracted adults

This guy (Neil Nedley, president of Weimar?) Or do I have the wrong one? He... doesn't seem to have a wikipedia page on him, which is a little odd considering the # of youtube vids he shows up in.

Weimar Institute - Wikipedia

Most extremes are bad - I can say that 'escaping from reality' into various rpgs, MMOs and stuff is not a healthy way to go... but to class Narnia (or worse, to class imagination) w Necronomicon is ridiculous (imho). Imagination is just a tool for the spirit that wields it and by the nature of that spirit will wield it to places dark or grand and everywhere in between along the way to it's final destination. To say "crush it" or "it is not good"...

You might as well say "crush all legs" or "amputate all arms"
Let us all enter into the Kingdom of Heaven as headless, limbless torsos! lol.
(but even THAT wouldn't work, because if one had to go that far, it was obviously a problem of the Heart all along as Christ said, surprise, surprise.)

But nevertheless, whatsoever offendeth thee, cut it off. I've had to give God free reign to do surgery on my Heart and imagination, to slay and resurrect it in His image as necessary. And He's good about that, removes the cancer without leaving the patient a vegetable. I'm not sure I'd trust anyone else with the job. In fact, I definitely wouldn't.

A loooong time ago I read Lewis's "Last Battle" which was more or less Revelations come to Narnia. There was a character there (Emeth) who was a devotee to another deity (Tash). But in the end, the character found that all he was told to love Tash for was really embodied in Aslan, and as for Tash I remember he found it a weak shadow of a thing when he saw it for what it was. Though he had not known it till their meeting, Aslan was what he had really served and loved all along.

Emeth

When Emeth looked up he found he was no longer in the stable, but in a strange but pleasant land. Thinking that he had come to Tash's country he began to journey through it to find him. But instead of finding Tash, he encountered Aslan, who welcomed him and addressed him as a son. Emeth was confused by this, telling Aslan that he must surely be mistaken, as he was a son of Tash. Aslan explained to him that as he had lived his life uprightly and so;

"I take to me the services which thou hast done to Tash. For I and he are of such different kinds that no service which is vile can be done to me, and none which is not vile can be done to him."
Aslan

Last edited:
Upvote 0