Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
73%? Then they probably should be concerned about the NFL and college football and basketball on TV.
Teenagers are playing these sports inside and outside of school and they are loyal followers.
The Beer Inst. knows this but they aren't going to stop the marketing of beer on TV.
Not to mention the hard seltzers with candy flavors.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
73%? Then they probably should be concerned about the NFL and college football and basketball on TV.
Teenagers are playing these sports inside and outside of school and they are loyal followers.
The Beer Inst. knows this but they aren't going to stop the marketing of beer on TV.

Actually, the NFL's viewership stats are likely indicative of why the number is set at such a peculiar number in the first place (I'm sure we'd agree that percentage they settled on (73.6%) seems oddly specific...not sure why a nice easy to remember number like 70% or 75% wouldn't have worked).

Per the focus groups and demographic ratings reported "heavily engaged" fans
Of the 58% of Americans that do engage on a weekly basis, 73% are Male, aged 50+

For "partially engaged fans"
  • 64% are aged 25-39

(I'm guessing if we were to look at the the remaining percentages of the partially engaged fans...just a hunch it'd be somewhere in the ballpark of 10-12% that are 40+ to round out that 74% nicely so that they meet the requirement with a little room to spare)

Perhaps the NFL advertising/relations team had a seat at the table when this rule was drafted.

When some of these "industry rules" get created, I'm betting dollars to donuts that part of the process is asking these "big players" in the industries for specific demographics on viewership, and then conveniently drawing the line at a percentage that isn't going to impact them.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not to mention the hard seltzers with candy flavors.
I have no clue as to how those things got so popular all of the sudden.

It's like there was a marketing team somewhere that said:
"WE'VE DONE IT! After 10 long years of tireless market research and major investments into manufacturing side, we've finally come up with something even lamer than Zima!"

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

"WE'VE DONE IT! After 10 long years of tireless market research and major investments into manufacturing side, we've finally come up with something even lamer than Zima!"
It skips a few generations and comes back into popularity.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Weak, insipid, tasteless, no character and lacking any substance whatsoever. And to be honest, even a little makes me want to throw up. And I don't like Bud Light either.

I am reminded of what Al Franken said about Ted when they were in the Senate together:

“I like Ted Cruz more than most of my other colleagues like Ted Cruz. And I hate Ted Cruz.”​

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am reminded of what Al Franken said about Ted when they were in the Senate together:

“I like Ted Cruz more than most of my other colleagues like Ted Cruz. And I hate Ted Cruz.”​

Franken is pretty funny.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My understanding is that Bud Light did not pay to advertise, they merely sent a Bud Light can to help celebrate an anniversary. So not sure the advertising law actually applies as they merely sent a can, with a special paint job, to a person that can legally drink.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Are you old enough to remember Boone's Farm Apple Wine?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I vaguely remember that (I wasn't old enough to drink in the 90's, though some beverages may have been sneaked...I can't confirm or deny lol)

But I do remember young people in High School sneaking Zima, Skyy Blue, Mike's Hard Lemonade, and a variety of Bartles & James flavors (basically, people who didn't like the taste of any other alcoholic beverage, but still wanting to appear cool at a party)

The good old days, where it wasn't so much about actually getting drunk, but pretending to be drunk so you had a "edgy" story to tell on Monday.

"I got so wasted Saturday, isn't that awesome?!?" (would be what a person said who had 2.5 wine coolers at a Saturday party when the parents were out of town)

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I wonder how Al Franken would fit into today's political climate. I always liked him...thought he was a sharp guy. Perhaps an edgier sense of humor that people didn't always approve of, but none the less, during the time when cancel culture was running wild, people from his own side basically lumped him in with the likes of Roy Moore in efforts to prove their own "ideological purity", which I think was a mistake.

He was one of the original victims of "woke culture/cancel culture" (which I think can be defined as weaponized political correctness)

A snippet about a somewhat recent interview he did:

On CBS This Morning, Franken responded to some former colleagues, nine of them, who have said they regret calling for his investigation.

"I'm a forgiving person, I'm grateful. You don't usually hear nine former senators saying they were wrong about something," Franken said. "They all know I deserved due process and didn't get it. When I've met them, they've all been very apologetic."

On whether or not he was "canceled," Franken said he doesn't know what to call it, but it was "just a point in time where everything came together."

"I think the nine (senators) have expressed exactly what I feel is that what you should do, especially in the United States Senate, you should have an ethics investigation. That's what I asked for and didn't get."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The ”selling point“ of BFAW was that it didn’t smell like beer or grape-based wines and easier to get passed the detector in Mom’s nose.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Come on, we had Bartles and James :) At least Zima made a come back onto Babylon 5 in 2262 :) Just in time too for yet another Rolling Stones farewell tour.

1684761859608.png
1684761899497.png

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The ”selling point“ of BFAW was that it didn’t smell like beer or grape-based wines and easier to get passed the detector in Mom’s nose.
isn't that what the tin of Altoids was and wearing copious amounts of Polo Sport was for?? (thinking that one would be be able to trick their parents into not smelling alcohol and cigs)

I always just assumed that those fruity flavors were for the purposes of being "easier to drink" for people who didn't like the taste of beer/liquor.
(if easier to drink means so much sugar that your teeth feel as rough as 80 grit sandpaper after drinking one of them)

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Uh boy, more militant radicalism... It's these types of conservatives that prevent the GOP from gaining a lot more LGBT voters.
Now this is what i thought bud was standing on. Something about the lgbt. Boy was i wrong. I even bought their beer to support them and i don't drink.sheesh!

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now this is what i thought bud was standing on. Something about the lgbt. Boy was i wrong. I even bought their beer to support them and i don't drink.sheesh!
Not sure what you mean, this is what bud was standing on... The supporting of lgbt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums