Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's interesting! Is it taxed on a state level, federal level, or what? I guess tax rates vary, but can you give a rough estimate on how much alcohol and tobacco are taxed?

I don't smoke, but from what I hear, cigarettes are taxed very heavily and I believe at almost 100%. Alcohol is also taxed heavily. I can go to the Caribbean and buy a big bottle of Vodka for $10 tax free. In the states, that same bottle costs $25-30. And these are mostly state taxes.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Metabolism is basically the sum total of all the chemical reactions that occur in the body. The more active you are, requires more chemical reactions to fuel the exercise and also to sustain and rebuild lean muscle tissue. I will give you an extreme example, michael phelps would consume upwards of 12,000 calories a day while in training and his body fat is was likely in the 3-4% range. The average person cant work to this level, but regular exercise at a high enough intensity, is the only way to cause beneficial physiological change in how the body metabolizes food. Sure, exercise doesnt mean you eat like a pig, but exercise will allow one to burn higher levels of fat 24 hours a day, because the body wants to store sugar to fuel exercise. Furthermore, people tend to eat more when they are sedentary and less when they are active.
Yes I already acknowledged that exercise increases metabolism and, on the principle that Joules expended is not greater than Joules consumed, those exercising can eat more with no weight gain. But the OP was discussing the control of energy dense foods which, for people who arent elite athletes, has value. Please look at the stats in your country. Most show an alarming trend of both adult and childhood obesity with comordities of joint deterioration, diabetes, stroke, heart disease... as well as higher incidences of occupational incidences and lost productivity. So the OP raised a valuable discussion because whatever is being done now, its not working.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
The introduction of a sugar tax in Berkley has led to a significant reduction in soft drink sales
www.theguardian.com/society/2017/apr/18/first-us-sugar-tax-sees-soft-drink-sales-fall-by-almost-10-study-shows

In my country (Norway) the tax system specifically targets products that are either unhealthy for the individual (alcohol, tobacco, sugar) or for the environment (CO2 emissions, etc.). The more 'unhealthy' something is - the more it is taxed. This way of thinking has much support in Norway. Although people often think those taxes are too high - they still support the idea that it is better to tax something unhealthy (tobacco) rather than something healthy (vegetables).

However, I assume this is not very popular in the US. How do people feel about such "unhealthy-taxes"?
Who gets to decide what is "unhealthy"?

What if I decide that I value short term mental pleasure (e.g. from consuming sugar, alcohol, tobacco, etc.) more than the idea of a possibly longer physical life?

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What if I decide that I value short term mental pleasure (e.g. from consuming sugar, alcohol, tobacco, etc.) more than the idea of a possibly longer physical life?
Then go for it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
You decide for yourself:

ten years with itchy and scratchy,
ten years without itchy and scratch;

ten years with pain walking,
ten years without pain walking;

ten years with headaches,
ten years without headaches;

your choice, Creator Willing.

Upvote 0

TheNorwegian

Aug 17, 2015
Norway
✟89,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would assume most people could figure this out, but OK...: You should ask someone who knows about health issues. People who know what they are talking about should have a say. Who would you consult in case you need some medical attention? Would you call a doctor - or just any random person?

Just a pre-emptive remark here: Please, remember that your question is who gets to decide what is unhealthy - not the level of taxes. I think elected representatives of the people should decide tax levels and how taxes are spent. But when making such decisions, they should consult people that know what they are talking about:
  • If you wonder what is healthy or unhealthy - ask a medical expert - not your local bus driver
  • If you wonder what is good for the environment - ask a scientist - not your local pastor
  • If you wonder what kind of military equipment your country needs - aks an expert in the military - not the owner of the local nail saloon

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
  • If you wonder what is healthy or unhealthy - ask a medical expert - not your local bus driver
  • If you wonder what is good for the environment - ask a scientist - not your local pastor
  • If you wonder what kind of military equipment your country needs - aks an expert in the military - not the owner of the local nail saloon
This is how most people were raised and taught for the last hundred years almost.
Look what happened (i.e. it's not been Godly nor good).
Same thing would happen if you ask the fox who is paid to guard the henhouse if the chickens are "SAFE!"
When money is the motive, well, Jesus says that's the root of all evil. (not just some evil)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What are their priorities?

I have worked in the medical field for over 20 years. From my experience, when it comes to patient care, there priorities typically include; providing the best care they know how for their patients and this involves making good decisions, constantly educating themselves on new information and getting the best outcomes they can.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is how most people were raised and taught for the last hundred years almost.
Look what happened (i.e. it's not been Godly nor good).
Same thing would happen if you ask the fox who is paid to guard the henhouse if the chickens are "SAFE!"
When money is the motive, well, Jesus says that's the root of all evil. (not just some evil)

Anyone who works for a living is trying to make money, aren't they? When it comes to the medical profession, most are not aware of the scrutiny involved in how medical professionals practice and what they need to do, to get paid by insurance, to maintain knowledge of the latest developments and maintaining their license to practice medicine. If money was the main driver, they wouldn't be around long.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I have worked in the medical field for over 20 years. From my experience, when it comes to patient care, there priorities typically include; providing the best care they know how for their patients and this involves making good decisions, constantly educating themselves on new information and getting the best outcomes they can.
And when their preferred outcomes conflict with the preferred outcomes of their patient?

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And when their preferred outcomes conflict with the preferred outcomes of their patient?

You are assuming they have a personal preferred out different than the patient. As an fyi, medical providers don't hang around long, if they don't take care of their patients.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
You are assuming they have a personal preferred out different than the patient. As an fyi, medical providers don't hang around long, if they don't take care of their patients.
I am presuming that not all patients possess the same preferred outcome than those providers.

Upvote 0