London
✟8,162.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In other words you have a double standard.
Do I ? Please enlighten me as to how that is so ! Do I need to repeat what I said earlier ? Let me put it to you again in as simple prose and grammar that you might understand me more clearly...I have never claimed to keep every single one of God's statutes and commands, however when I see a question that I choose to answer, especially when it comes to God's word, then I will answer it as best as I can staying as true to Biblical scripture as I understand it, I will not water down and sugar coat God's word just to make it more palatable for the receiver, there is a great penalty for this as outlined in Revelation, it says something about those who 'add' or 'take away' from scripture and describes the penalty for doing so, I am sure you are probably aware of it, just because I may not be perfect in everything else (show me one person who is other than Jesus Christ, just one !) doesn't mean I should commit an even greater sin by misrepresenting the word of God, or is that indeed what you are asking me to do ? Seems you are ! I also never suggested that someone having tattoos can't receive salvation, of course they can, but they need to realise they are wrong and cease from marking their bodies in this way ! There is only one unforgivable sin and it isn't getting tattoos ! Please don't misrepresent me in future, I am bound by the word of God to speak the truth as I understand it, you have a better understanding ? Well then I am open to hearing it and changing my position if necessary ! However this does not make me perfect and I would also like you to show me where I claimed to be....I will be waiting a long time, until then God bless you and your family.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Do I ? Please enlighten me as to how that is so ! Do I need to repeat what I said earlier ? Let me put it to you again in as simple prose and grammar that you might understand me more clearly...I have never claimed to keep every single one of God's statutes and commands, however when I see a question that I choose to answer, especially when it comes to God's word, then I will answer it as best as I can staying as true to Biblical scripture as I understand it, I will not water down and sugar coat God's word just to make it more palatable for the receiver, there is a great penalty for this as outlined in Revelation, it says something about those who 'add' or 'take away' from scripture and describes the penalty for doing so, I am sure you are probably aware of it, just because I may not be perfect in everything else (show me one person who is other than Jesus Christ, just one !) doesn't mean I should commit an even greater sin by misrepresenting the word of God, or is that indeed what you are asking me to do ? Seems you are ! I also never suggested that someone having tattoos can't receive salvation, of course they can, but they need to realise they are wrong and cease from marking their bodies in this way ! There is only one unforgivable sin and it isn't getting tattoos ! Please don't misrepresent me in future, I am bound by the word of God to speak the truth as I understand it, you have a better understanding ? Well then I am open to hearing it and changing my position if necessary ! However this does not make me perfect and I would also like you to show me where I claimed to be....I will be waiting a long time, until then God bless you and your family.

Here is what you wrote earlier:

"The word of God clearly tells us NOT to mark our bodies so that should put an instant end to further discourse on the subject ! People who have tattoos are clearly prideful and are doing so out of pride, I mean how else would you describe somebody who seeks others attention by covering themselves in eye catching art work and bright colours ? Also it is as if the person believes they can improve their already perfect God given body ! It is completely egotistical and of the world, and those who love the things of the world have not the love of the Father in them."

Modern tattoos did not exist in Biblical times. Leviticus actually addresses branding, slashing or gashing the skin as was common practice among the people of Canaan. Some modern translations use the word tattoo, but that is incorrect.

I have a cousin who got a tattoo after her younger sister (also my cousin) died. It is a white tulip, her sister's favorite flower. She got it as a way to remember her sister. Pride has nothing to do with it, yet you claimed that "people who have tattoos"--that would mean everyone because you allowed no exceptions--"are clearly prideful." That is a false accusation on your part.

You also wrote that those who get tattoos seek "others attention by covering themselves in eye catching art work and bright colours." Yet my cousin got a tattoo in a place that most people would never see. I've seen it only because she showed it to me; otherwise I wouldn't know she had it. How is that "egotistical" as you claimed?

If you say "well most people don't do that" or "most people do want to show off," I would ask how you know. I know of a number of people who got tattoos in memory of someone or in honor of someone. Yet you make a blanket, and very insulting, statement.

Then you went of to say that those who get tattoos are "of the world, and those who love the things of the world have not the love of the Father in them." So my cousin doesn't have the love of the Father in her? That is what you are saying. How can you make such a blanket statement? Have you met everyone who has a tattoo so that you know that as a fact?

Frankly I think you owe a big apology to many people who have tattoos, including my cousin, for accusing them of being prideful and egotistical.

You were then asked about medical tattoos. Your response was "if you are a patient and are fully conscious then I would say you have the choice and the right to refuse." You do understand what a medical tattoo is, don't you? An example would be a tattoo of a nipple for a woman who lost a breast to cancer. Why would a woman in such a situation have any reason to refuse such a tattoo?

Now, I never said that you claimed you were perfect, so I don't know why you are asking me to show you where you claimed to be. But I stand by my statement. You said that those who get tattoos are "prideful and egotistical," and that it is a violation of scripture (even though modern tattoos are not what was addressed in the old testament) but you admit that you do things that you do things that are prohibited in Leviticus. That is a double standard.

Please note that I didn't say that you were "prideful and egotistical" as you falsely claimed about my cousin and others.

Upvote 0