United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This isn't meant to stir up dissension, it's just an honest question. Please keep things civil and remember to love one another despite our differences.

I personally see nothing wrong with tattoos, to an extent. As long as the tattoo isn't obnoxious, vulgar, or obscene, then what's the harm? I already have one tattoo that I got when I wasn't walking with Christ but now I'm planning on getting a second. I've prayed about it and firmly believe there's nothing wrong with a reasonable tattoo.

Thoughts?

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This isn't meant to stir up dissension, it's just an honest question. Please keep things civil and remember to love one another despite our differences.

I personally see nothing wrong with tattoos, to an extent. As long as the tattoo isn't obnoxious, vulgar, or obscene, then what's the harm? I already have one tattoo that I got when I wasn't walking with Christ but now I'm planning on getting a second. I've prayed about it and firmly believe there's nothing wrong with a reasonable tattoo.

Thoughts?

Tattoos are not sinful, and they never were unless you were a member of the Old Covenant. Preferably, I would not have them.

• Agree
Reactions: ☦Marius☦
Upvote 0

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Once you get a tattoo, you can never remove it 100%. It's permanent.

You need to pay attention to the context of this verse. God was talking to the people of Israel and was specifically telling them to stay away from a certain religious practice. There's no other mention of tattoos in the Bible.

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You need to pay attention to the context of this verse. God was talking to the people of Israel and was specifically telling them to stay away from a certain religious practice. There's no other mention of tattoos in the Bible.

What do you think marks represent???

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So the people who tattoo scripture on themselves are going to Hell?

Wait what?????? This has nothing to do with salvation.

We're talking about whether tattoos are right or wrong and the fact is it is wrong. Marks are tattoos.

• Winner
Reactions: Hoaur
Upvote 0

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wait what?????? This has nothing to do with salvation.

We're talking about whether tattoos are right or wrong and the fact is it is wrong. Marks are tattoos.
So you're saying that it's wrong and it's a sin. And I'm asking then why are all tattoos bad? Why are they all a sin?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord. - Leviticus 19:28.

Tattoos - I would not get them myself.
I'm still not entirely convinced that this verse isn't just taken out of context

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So you're saying that it's wrong and it's a sin. And I'm asking then why are all tattoos bad? Why are they all a sin?

From Leviticus, you can see that God states to not print any marks upon one's body.

Tattoos in society are associated with worldly people we christian's should be separate from.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  1. Spiritual motivation? There are spiritually bad reasons to get some tattoos (and behind some jewelry). I believe these are the objections found in the Old Testament.
  2. Content #1: Occult, or as stated in the OP, obnoxious, vulgar, or obscene...?
  3. Content #2: In my span as an amateur artist, there have been art pieces that I have really impressed myself with, only to find out years later that they were representative of demonic concepts. You can burn paper and delete digital files, but skin is a little more indelible.

Upvote 0

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From Leviticus, you can see that God states to not print any marks upon one's body. It doesn't matter what we think.
That verse applies to one specific moment where God was warning the Israelites not to participate in the practices of another false religion. Part of this religion was tattooing specific marks on themselves. The rest of the Bible never mentions tattoos ever again.

Upvote 0

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  1. Spiritual motivation? There are spiritually bad reasons to get some tattoos (and behind some jewelry). I believe these are the objections found in the Old Testament.
  2. Content #1: Occult, or as stated in the OP, obnoxious, vulgar, or obscene...?
  3. Content #2: In my span as an amateur artist, there have been art pieces that I have really impressed myself with, only to find out years later that they were representative of demonic concepts. You can burn paper and delete digital files, but skin is a little more indelible.

Right and I get that. My issue is that I've been looked down on by many Christians because I have a pine tree tattooed on my wrist. A pine tree. It is in no way an effort to offend or promote demonic concepts or whatever. It's a tree! And I know many Godly men and women who have verses tattooed on them. So it confuses me what all the hatred for these innocent tattoos is about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My issue is that I've been looked down on by many Christians because I have a pine tree tattooed on my wrist. A pine tree.
I don't care about a pine tree, but it could later prove to be connected to the tree cults described in the Old Testament (an example of consideration #3, above).

Even if you got a tattoo that says, "JESUS IS LORD!" it could be a hindrance, if God ever wanted you to operate incognito.

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IF a Christian has the Spirit in them then it is a matter of convictions and there is no "one size fits all" answer because the Spirit dictates those convictions and it is not for me to judge my brother or sister because their convictions are different.

For all I know my place in the body of Christ is as a foot. That being the case what right do I as a foot have in telling a hand that it is wrong for being led by the head because it isnt doing the same thing as I the foot?

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,748.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thoughts?

I don't see anything wrong with tattoos as long as they are done in a healthy manner. You probably allready know what is good and not so good. As a Christian I believe our outside is to represent the inside. So if you decide to get a tattoo, get one that is according to Christ.

Christ love,
P

Upvote 0

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IF a Christian has the Spirit in them then it is a matter of convictions and there is no "one size fits all" answer because the Spirit dictates those convictions and it is not for me to judge my brother or sister because their convictions are different.

For all I know my place in the body of Christ is as a foot. That being the case what right do I as a foot have in telling a hand that it is wrong for being led by the head because it isnt doing the same thing as I the foot?

Exactly. I don't disrespect those who think tattoos wrong. I'm curious about their reasoning but I respect that they've been convicted to avoid them. I on the other hand have not been convicted in that way. So I don't see anything wrong with it.

Upvote 0