Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have clear cut scripture that says not to mark ones body (tattoos). It is not up for interpretation, it's not prophecy, it's clear cut scripture.
Do you obey all of the 613 commandments in the OT?

Upvote 0

Les Castor

Jan 5, 2019
Pearland, tx
✟12,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I personally believe that tattoos have no significance to God especially under the new covenant. We will be given perfect new bodies so if anything, I believe the absolute worst thing that would happen for even a particularly bad tattoo is temporal embarrassment that is all. I personally do not have any but I have seen some beautiful ones but I have also seen some pretty bad ones.
I for one do not envy my wife if/when she may need to explain to our future daughter if we ever have one, why she has a USA Prime grade shield tattooed to her inner thigh.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,224,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue.
Do not personally attack (insult, belittle, mock, ridicule) other members or groups of members on CF. Address only the content of the post and not the poster.
Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.

MOD HAT OFF

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Matt Evans

Jan 14, 2019
London
✟8,162.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The word of God clearly tells us NOT to mark our bodies so that should put an instant end to further discourse on the subject ! People who have tattoos are clearly prideful and are doing so out of pride, I mean how else would you describe somebody who seeks others attention by covering themselves in eye catching art work and bright colours ? Also it is as if the person believes they can improve their already perfect God given body ! It is completely egotistical and of the world, and those who love the things of the world have not the love of the Father in them !

• Winner
Reactions: messianist
Upvote 0

messianist

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
a
✟282,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The word of God clearly tells us NOT to mark our bodies so that should put an instant end to further discourse on the subject ! People who have tattoos are clearly prideful and are doing so out of pride, I mean how else would you describe somebody who seeks others attention by covering themselves in eye catching art work and bright colours ? Also it is as if the person believes they can improve their already perfect God given body ! It is completely egotistical and of the world, and those who love the things of the world have not the love of the Father in them !
Amen

Reactions: Matt Evans
Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What about medical tattoos?

• Friendly
Reactions: Matt Evans
Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

It also says not to trim your beard. I guess you need to follow that now too.

Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

Matt Evans

Jan 14, 2019
London
✟8,162.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It also says not to trim your beard. I guess you need to follow that now too.
I trim my beard every morning, i.e I don't have one as you can see in my image, nobody is saying that we can keep every single command and be perfect, but I would rather admit to my sins and say that they are wrong rather than to make excuses for them in order that I or others may continue in them ! Simply put if the Bible says something is right or wrong then we must say so, rather than pick and choose in order to feel secure in our sinful flesh state !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Simply put if the Bible says something is right or wrong then we must say so, rather than pick and choose in order to feel secure in our sinful flesh state !
Better start growing out that beard then. No excuse for a shaved face.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I trim my beard every morning, i.e I don't have one as you can see in my image, nobody is saying that we can keep every single command and be perfect, but I would rather admit to my sins and say that they are wrong rather than to make excuses for them in order that I or others may continue in them ! Simply put if the Bible says something is right or wrong then we must say so, rather than pick and choose in order to feel secure in our sinful flesh state !
But then you have to grow your beard and never shave again.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

In other words you have a double standard.

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
This isn't meant to stir up dissension, it's just an honest question. Please keep things civil and remember to love one another despite our differences.

I personally see nothing wrong with tattoos, to an extent. As long as the tattoo isn't obnoxious, vulgar, or obscene, then what's the harm? I already have one tattoo that I got when I wasn't walking with Christ but now I'm planning on getting a second. I've prayed about it and firmly believe there's nothing wrong with a reasonable tattoo.

Thoughts?
Well I can give you my opinion but I believe scripture is better ...and not old covenant scripture ...In the New Testament , under the new covenant , Peter ( who walked with Jesus ) admonishes the christian women not to adorn themselves with braided hair and the putting on of apparel but to be clothed with good works ...to be clothed in humility ...for our Lord Jesus said , " Learn of me ..I am meek and lowly of heart ." Not to be legalistic about anything but I think it is probably more profitable to be of the mindset of John the Baptist ...I must decrease ..He must increase. As you are aware , your salvation is Christ in you for we have nothing in ourselves to offer God . I have many friends with tattoo's and while it is not a salvation issue , I do think it is a pagan practice . Some will say ( and have said ) that I may be putting emphasis on the flesh but my question would be ...is not getting a tattoo placing emphasis n the flesh ? Is it to the glory of God ? You must answer that . I personally would have you free of that . We must become like little children and no one has ever been born wanting a tattoo ...It is a learned thing . If we are Christ body , would Jesus have felt the need to get a tattoo ? Why would Jesus get a tattoo ...Ask deep questions . Do not feel condemned for any you may have but think it is a culture thing and not something that Paul, Peter , James or Jesus would waste time on ..Be renewed in the inward man ...the outward will be dust one day .

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This isn't meant to stir up dissension, it's just an honest question. Please keep things civil and remember to love one another despite our differences.

I personally see nothing wrong with tattoos, to an extent. As long as the tattoo isn't obnoxious, vulgar, or obscene, then what's the harm? I already have one tattoo that I got when I wasn't walking with Christ but now I'm planning on getting a second. I've prayed about it and firmly believe there's nothing wrong with a reasonable tattoo.

Thoughts?
I don't believe they're sinful, but I do find them to be unsightly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well I can give you my opinion but I believe scripture is better ...and not old covenant scripture ...In the New Testament , under the new covenant , Peter ( who walked with Jesus ) admonishes the christian women not to adorn themselves with braided hair and the putting on of apparel but to be clothed with good works ...to be clothed in humility ...for our Lord Jesus said , " Learn of me ..I am meek and lowly of heart ." Not to be legalistic about anything but I think it is probably more profitable to be of the mindset of John the Baptist ...I must decrease ..He must increase. As you are aware , your salvation is Christ in you for we have nothing in ourselves to offer God . I have many friends with tattoo's and while it is not a salvation issue , I do think it is a pagan practice . Some will say ( and have said ) that I may be putting emphasis on the flesh but my question would be ...is not getting a tattoo placing emphasis n the flesh ? Is it to the glory of God ? You must answer that . I personally would have you free of that . We must become like little children and no one has ever been born wanting a tattoo ...It is a learned thing . If we are Christ body , would Jesus have felt the need to get a tattoo ? Why would Jesus get a tattoo ...Ask deep questions . Do not feel condemned for any you may have but think it is a culture thing and not something that Paul, Peter , James or Jesus would waste time on ..Be renewed in the inward man ...the outward will be dust one day .

Just because the apostles or whoever weren't interested in certain things doesn't mean it's automatically wrong or a pagan thing. You need to lighten up.
What about a hair style, or a fashion sense, or nail polish, or anything someone wants to do to express themselves visually?

God isn't some selfish brat who wants you to only do things that have him in mind. You baptists put so much unnecessary strictness on everybody because of your views that cultural norms back then should still apply now and that God cares about petty little things because "it doesn't involve him".

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thoughts?

I see tattoos as something to do to fit in, usually with other people who have tattoos.

I don't get one, because I believe in not looking for such signs as membership into a group. If someone requires such signs as membership into a group, I don't want to be in that group.

I wear what clothes I want to wear, whether people like it or not. Unless I absolutely have to wear something, like for work.

The body is beautiful without any such adornment. Where does one stop? And how does one get to where they are not thinking about how they look, and how to get people to accept them, based on appearances, but based on who they are, on the inside?

• Agree
Reactions: Cis.jd
Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Just because the apostles or whoever weren't interested in certain things doesn't mean it's automatically wrong or a pagan thing. You need to lighten up.
What about a hair style, or a fashion sense, or nail polish, or anything someone wants to do to express themselves visually?

God isn't some selfish brat who wants you to only do things that have him in mind. You baptists put so much unnecessary strictness on everybody because of your views that cultural norms back then should still apply now and that God cares about petty little things because "it doesn't involve him".
Brother ..I do not suppose the Holy Spirit is baptist , nor were St Peter or Paul . I trust their writings which are also found in the catholic bible . Both Paul and Peter suffered for their believe ...for their understandings . Their love cost them a great deal so that they were able to instruct us . Many were burned at the stake and persecuted because they wanted us to be able to have the apostles teachings in words we could understand . I have no desire to place a snare on anyone but there are many in society over the centuries who have led us to believe that the outward is important . You mention fashion sense and nail polish. Ask yourself honestly ...who promoted these things and for what purposes ...were they much like yours and my ancestors in the faith , Paul and Peter and others ? I do not have to go out on a limb to say that it is not fair to make us constantly worry about whether we look good enough , etc. That is the intent of the fashion industry and society. In Christ Jesus , you are more than excepted by God and more lovely than anything we have beheld with our eyes . This is not a baptist teaching . What color , sex , nationality or socio-economic level is love ? Humility , Patience , meekness ? Believers have the same Lord , Jesus Christ who died to make men free . Society ( advertisers , etc. ) would put you under bondage . It is not about right and wrong . It is about freedom . If this brothers feels led by God to get tattoos so he may reach those for Christ who have tattoos , that is one thing . We shall all be changed since flesh and blood can not inherit the Kingdom of God . ( So says St. Paul , the apostle sent to the gentiles by Jesus Christ Himself . ) So again brother , these are not my opinions . Culture and society changes . Christ is eternal . Do we have any foundation for what we believe and why ? If not , then we make ourselves our own God and make His word void . How fearful to have led men astray with my own opinions . I am so sorry that women ( and men ) chase the outward and are following and influenced by those who love not Jesus . They shall both fall into a ditch .

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Thoughts?

When I was 17 years old I decided to get a tattoo. I actually did it myself just a small simple cross on my left shoulder. At that time I was unaware of Leviticus 19:28. The reason I did a cross was because it’s the only thing I could think of that I would want on my body for the rest of my life. I don’t really regret doing it because although in my ignorance of Leviticus 19:28, my intention was to honor God. Since I am aware of God’s commandment now I would not get anymore.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0