Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sort of a spinoff from the hair color thread.

What do you think of tattoos and piercings (besides ear piercings)? My family seem to think both are sinful and/or trashy. When my uncle heard of my desire to get my belly button pierced (which I did indeed get), he sent me some long e-mail about why it's wrong and ungodly and all I could think was, "seriously?"

I honestly don't have a problem with either. I have no tattoos at the moment, but would love to get some one day. I don't think either are immodest or ungodly. Of course, I'm probably the odd person out on that one.

I don't see anything wrong with them, as the average person does. But I do see something with when people let the tats/piercing overtake them and it becomes their entire identity. As Christians our identity is in Christ and I feel that making your appearance your identity detracts from that.

Of course, non-Christians don't care about Christ, thus they don't feel the need to make their identity about him.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This question begs another question - do we live by the old law, or was the old law nailed to the cross? There are no prohibitions against tattoos or piercings for the New Testament believer. The Jewish law said to not make cuttings in the flesh for the dead. Are we Jewish? Are tattoos for the dead? Is a tattoo a "cutting in the flesh"?

Tattoos and piercings are a gray area. The problem with tattoos is that they are permanent. The Hello Kitty tattoos I have that seemed like a fantastic idea at 23, somehow at 33 they aren't quite so nifty any more. My husband's pentagram tattoo now serves as a humiliating reminder of his sinful past. This is something one must consider very carefully.

It's also important to guard your testimony. Could your tattoos and/or piercings present a confusing witness to others? Does your outward appearance look like the world, or do you appear to be set apart for God's purpose? We should be very careful about how we mark up and adorn our flesh. Not saying it's a sin one way or the other, just that with things of this nature we must use discretion.

Hi Ms. KatAutumn:

So did you consider instead a specifically faith based tattoo? Bible verse, etc.

If I read you correctly, it's not the fact that you are a tattooed woman that you necessarily regret, but more the choice of design that you acquired years ago, if I'm correct?

Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

David Pratt

Aug 15, 2010
✟15,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
this is the only tattoo that followers of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, should be desiring.

King James Version Bible

Revelation Chapter 3

11. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

12. Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, [which is] new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and [I will write upon him] my new name.

Psalms Chapter 81

11. But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.

12. So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: [and] they walked in their own counsels.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
this is the only tattoo that followers of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, should be desiring.

King James Version Bible

Revelation Chapter 3

11. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

12. Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, [which is] new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and [I will write upon him] my new name.

Psalms Chapter 81

11. But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.

12. So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: [and] they walked in their own counsels.

So you think that the Psalm 81 verses apply to tattoos?

So what about a Bible verse or Christian fish sign <>< that is acquired with a God honoring motive? in the light of Romans 14, maybe we should at least respect the motive?

Blessings.

Upvote 0

David Pratt

Aug 15, 2010
✟15,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
[My opinions are worthless. I read & pray for wisdom for the correct interpretation. This helps prevents hatred & confusion.]

Matthew Chapter 5

17. Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Leviticus Chapter 19

28. Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I [am] the LORD.

Exodus Chapter 20

4. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth:

Colossians Chapter 2

18. Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

Deuteronomy Chapter 27

15. Cursed [be] the man that maketh [any] graven or molten image, an abomination unto the LORD, the work of the hands of the craftsman, and putteth [it] in [a] secret [place]. And all the people shall answer and say, Amen.

Malachi Chapter 3

6. For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

John Chapter 10

23 And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch.

30. I and [my] Father are one.

John Chapter 14

15. If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Upvote 0

JoshuaDaryl

Soldier of the Lord
Apr 27, 2014
Greene county IN. U.S.A,
✟15,906.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
[My opinions are worthless. I read & pray for wisdom for the correct interpretation. This helps prevents hatred & confusion.]

Matthew Chapter 5

17. Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Leviticus Chapter 19

28. Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I [am] the LORD.

Exodus Chapter 20

4. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth:

Colossians Chapter 2

18. Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

Deuteronomy Chapter 27

15. Cursed [be] the man that maketh [any] graven or molten image, an abomination unto the LORD, the work of the hands of the craftsman, and putteth [it] in [a] secret [place]. And all the people shall answer and say, Amen.

Malachi Chapter 3

6. For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

John Chapter 10

23 And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch.

30. I and [my] Father are one.

John Chapter 14

15. If ye love me, keep my commandments.

That pretty well sums it up for me :thumbsup: :amen:

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Matthew Chapter 5

Leviticus Chapter 19

Do preachers shave?

The next verse mentions not trimming one's beard.

So if preachers shave, what they are really saying is that these verses don't directly apply to the situation of New Testament believers under grace, as opposed to Old Testament believers in the land under the law. (As a dispensationalist I see a distinction between Israel and the church.)

In Hebrews 7.12 we read that the law was changed. The New Testament believer's rule is now the Gospel, seeing as we have 'a better hope' (Hebrews 7.19) than the law, and Romans 14 would teach us to respect the motives of those trying to evangelize by various means. For some Christians this might be by inking, say 'John 3.16' as an effective conversation-starter, maybe.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

JoshuaDaryl

Soldier of the Lord
Apr 27, 2014
Greene county IN. U.S.A,
✟15,906.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do preachers shave?

The next verse mentions not trimming one's beard.

So if preachers shave, what they are really saying is that these verses don't directly apply to the situation of New Testament believers under grace, as opposed to Old Testament believers in the land under the law. (As a dispensationalist I see a distinction between Israel and the church.)

In Hebrews 7.12 we read that the law was changed. The New Testament believer's rule is now the Gospel, seeing as we have 'a better hope' (Hebrews 7.19) than the law, and Romans 14 would teach us to respect the motives of those trying to evangelize by various means. For some Christians this might be by inking, say 'John 3.16' as an effective conversation-starter, maybe.

Blessings.

I dont, the men at my church do not. That picture of me is 5 years ago. I rededicated my life to the Lord and made the commitment to start following scripture the way it is written, to stop trying to make it fit me, and instead let God make me fit his word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I dont, the men at my church do not. That picture of me is 5 years ago. I rededicated my life to the Lord and made the commitment to start following scripture the way it is written, to stop trying to make it fit me, and instead let God make me fit his word.

You see, as a dispensationalist, I see Israel and the church as distinct. Clearly from Hebrews 7.12 I am not under the law; and by God's grace now I live by 'a better hope' (Hebrews 7.19) and so I don't try to police the way people do evangelism.

A lot of Christians do find faith based tattoos effective in witness; they do lead to many profitable testimony conversations.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

JoshuaDaryl

Soldier of the Lord
Apr 27, 2014
Greene county IN. U.S.A,
✟15,906.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What would you make of the verses I quoted in post #48?

Blessings.
Heres the difference:
28 The Law appoints people who are prone to weakness as high priests, but the content of the solemn pledge, which came after the Law, appointed a Son who has been made perfect forever.

The Law changed but was not done away with, the Law was perfect except for one part

22 As a result, Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant. 23 The others who became priests are numerous because death prevented them from continuing to serve. 24 In contrast, he holds the office of priest permanently because he continues to serve forever. 25 This is why he can completely save those who are approaching God through him, because he always lives to speak with God for them.

They died, it was not the Law, but the priest who made intercession. The priest who kept killing millions of animals at sacrifices that had to continually be done over and over, the Law was not done away with, no perfected.

11 Every priest stands every day serving and offering the same sacrifices over and over, sacrifices that can never take away sins. 12 But when this priest offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, he sat down at the right side of God. 13 Since then, he’s waiting until his enemies are made into a footstool for his feet, 14 because he perfected the people who are being made holy with one offering for all time.

Hebrews 10

15 The Holy Spirit affirms this when saying,

16 This is the covenant that I will make with them.
After these days, says the Lord,
I will place my laws in their hearts
and write them on their minds.
17 And I won’t remember their sins
and their lawless behavior anymore.[d]
18 When there is forgiveness for these things, there is no longer an offering for sin.

and write them on their minds. see the law still stands

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
[I would love to discuss beards... in another post. However, this is about tattoos.]

James Chapter 2

10. For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all.

If you are trying to go by verse 28 of Leviticus 19, you'll need to go by verse 27 also.

But are you really trying to keep the law? it won't ever work.

The believer in the Lord Jesus draws near to God by 'a better hope' (Hebrews 7.19). We are saved 'by grace'; 'not of works' (Ephesians 2.8,9)

Blessings.

Upvote 0

ob77

Jun 1, 2014
✟470.00
Faith
Christian
Sort of a spinoff from the hair color thread.

What do you think of tattoos and piercings (besides ear piercings)? My family seem to think both are sinful and/or trashy. When my uncle heard of my desire to get my belly button pierced (which I did indeed get), he sent me some long e-mail about why it's wrong and ungodly and all I could think was, "seriously?"

I honestly don't have a problem with either. I have no tattoos at the moment, but would love to get some one day. I don't think either are immodest or ungodly. Of course, I'm probably the odd person out on that one.

I do not know how serious you are on the opinion of others. What I or others may say is irrelevant. Neither do I know how much importance you find in what God may say about the topic. You must first read the book of Leviticus, I would tell you the exact chapter and verse about tattoos, but I would rather you seek this out for yourself as I have learned not to spoon feed people, but rather let them learn on their own accord. In a nutshell, we are not to be as the heathen, we are not to carve or burn or print images upon our skin.
As to piercings. One was to have an awl punched through his or her ear lobe as a sign of being indebt. God knows about these originations, which is why He gave us the warnings. What you do from here on out, is up to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoshuaDaryl

Soldier of the Lord
Apr 27, 2014
Greene county IN. U.S.A,
✟15,906.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If you are trying to go by verse 28 of Leviticus 19, you'll need to go by verse 27 also.

But are you really trying to keep the law? it won't ever work.

The believer in the Lord Jesus draws near to God by 'a better hope' (Hebrews 7.19). We are saved 'by grace'; 'not of works' (Ephesians 2.8,9)

Blessings.

No, but the heart of the law, and as I show in post 53, the law is written on the hearts and minds of Gods children. No we do not police each other, and I am a firm believer that each persons spiritual life is like scripture describes, a growth, and we are each led by the Holy Spirit. That said, when others ask for guidance, and advice you should answer scripturaly, and scrituraly God did not do away with the law. Now, instead of stoning, we are under grace, and Jesus making intercession for us continually,

Upvote 0

David Pratt

Aug 15, 2010
✟15,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To faroukfarouk

James Chapter 2

14. What [doth it] profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

25. Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent [them] out another way?

26. For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Heres the difference:
28 The Law appoints people who are prone to weakness as high priests, but the content of the solemn pledge, which came after the Law, appointed a Son who has been made perfect forever.

The Law changed but was not done away with, the Law was perfect except for one part

22 As a result, Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant. 23 The others who became priests are numerous because death prevented them from continuing to serve. 24 In contrast, he holds the office of priest permanently because he continues to serve forever. 25 This is why he can completely save those who are approaching God through him, because he always lives to speak with God for them.

They died, it was not the Law, but the priest who made intercession. The priest who kept killing millions of animals at sacrifices that had to continually be done over and over, the Law was not done away with, no perfected.

11 Every priest stands every day serving and offering the same sacrifices over and over, sacrifices that can never take away sins. 12 But when this priest offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, he sat down at the right side of God. 13 Since then, he’s waiting until his enemies are made into a footstool for his feet, 14 because he perfected the people who are being made holy with one offering for all time.

Hebrews 10

15 The Holy Spirit affirms this when saying,

16 This is the covenant that I will make with them.
After these days, says the Lord,
and write them on their minds.
17 And I won’t remember their sins
and their lawless behavior anymore.[d]
18 When there is forgiveness for these things, there is no longer an offering for sin.

and write them on their minds. see the law still stands

...but Hebrews 7.19 says: 'the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did, by which we approach unto God'.

Galatians 3.2: ...'Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.'

Galatians 3.21-26: 'Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.'

I don't believe I am under the law, but under grace, through faith.

And so now it's the Gospel that is my rule, by God's grace. Not constant appeals to keep the law (which would constantly give rise to the question whether I have supposedly 'done enough'.)

And so New Testament Christians are presumably more interested in whether a person is being an effective Gospel witness, rather than whether his or her lawkeeping is 'good' enough.

And so if a person gets a Bible verse tattoo with an evangelistic motive, the least one can do is respect the motive, whether or not one would do it oneself.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To faroukfarouk

James Chapter 2

14. What [doth it] profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

25. Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent [them] out another way?

26. For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

James is talking about whether the faith is genuine or not. Ephesians 2 itself says that 'we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them'.

But Ephesians 2.9 still stands firm: 'not of works'. Salvation is 'by grace'; 'through faith'.

My efforts at law-keeping will never ever save me or even keep me saved.

It's all of grace, through faith in Christ, and by His grace I stand in Gospel liberty. Romans 14 is a heartening chapter.

The grace-led New Testament believer's concern should be whether we are living the Gospel effectively, not whether someone's efforts at law-keeping are 'good enough'.

Upvote 0

JoshuaDaryl

Soldier of the Lord
Apr 27, 2014
Greene county IN. U.S.A,
✟15,906.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
...but Hebrews 7.19 says: 'the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did, by which we approach unto God'.

Galatians 3.2: ...'Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.'

Galatians 3.21-26: 'Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.'

I don't believe I am under the law, but under grace, through faith.

And so now it's the Gospel that is my rule, by God's grace. Not constant appeals to keep the law (which would constantly give rise to the question whether I have supposedly 'done enough'.)

And so New Testament Christians are presumably more interested in whether a person is being an effective Gospel witness, rather than whether his or her lawkeeping is 'good' enough.

And so if a person gets a Bible verse tattoo with an evangelistic motive, the least one can do is respect the motive, whether or not one would do it oneself.

Romans 6
17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered.

what doctrine are you obeying from the heart ? The doctrine of the law that was placed there

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.