Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Sort of a spinoff from the hair color thread.

What do you think of tattoos and piercings (besides ear piercings)? My family seem to think both are sinful and/or trashy. When my uncle heard of my desire to get my belly button pierced (which I did indeed get), he sent me some long e-mail about why it's wrong and ungodly and all I could think was, "seriously?"

I honestly don't have a problem with either. I have no tattoos at the moment, but would love to get some one day. I don't think either are immodest or ungodly. Of course, I'm probably the odd person out on that one.

new_wine

Citizen
Dec 30, 2010
✟16,339.00
Faith
Christian
Dancing, playing cards, hair color, tattoos, etc. Are not a problem. Not even drinking is a problem, in moderation. It is when there is excess or rebellion in your heart to do these things just to spite people, then it is a problem.

What do you think of tattoos and piercings (besides ear piercings)? My family seem to think both are sinful and/or trashy. When my uncle heard of my desire to get my belly button pierced (which I did indeed get), he sent me some long e-mail about why it's wrong and ungodly and all I could think was, "seriously?"

I honestly don't have a problem with either. I have no tattoos at the moment, but would love to get some one day. I don't think either are immodest or ungodly. Of course, I'm probably the odd person out on that one.

Upvote 0

Scottish Knight

Veteran
Feb 17, 2010
Scotland
✟10,580.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I can't see anything wrong with just getting a tattoo.

Upvote 0

.Iona.

I love Jesus!
Dec 9, 2007
UK
✟41,546.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Greens
This is something i have thought about too. how can tattoos out of moderation be a sin? surely you believe that god knows what is in your heart - so if you belive fully in jesus and live a christian life but happen to have a lot of tattoos - why is that so wrong?

Upvote 0

sealacamp

Jun 26, 2008
Fairburn Georgia
✟2,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing in scripture that says markings and piercings are sinful yet we are told that we should not be like the heathen who mark and cut the body. I for one don't care for any of that but it is up to the individual to decide what they choose to do in this area and in the end it is between them and God.

“Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the Lord.

I think the people that are telling you that it is sinful are being legalistic. If I had any advice to anyone it would be to remember that we don't live in a vacuum and that others are watching us. What we do doesn't always just affect us.

Sealacamp

Upvote 0

EdMa

Dec 6, 2008
In The Interweb.
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was told not to do it, because we are the temple of God and by having those things... we are defiling it.

"Know ye not that ye are the Temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the Temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the Temple of God is holy, which Temple ye are." 1 Corinthians 3:16 KJV

Upvote 0

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
m-m-m-mama says tattoos is the devil! "You know, when I was your age my mom told me not to get a tattoo. But what mama don't know, don't hurt her. I trust you'll make the right decision."

But really..

I have two tattoos, but I received both before I was a Christian. One, ironically, has a Christian meaning to it (it's based of a Christian song). However, now, I probably would not get a tattoo again or I'd really think about it more before doing it. The 1 Corinthians 3:16 verse is out of context, and I've also heard a passage from Leviticus used about not marking your bodies, yet they so conveniently leave out the verse that follows which says not to cut your hair.

The question I'd ask myself before getting a tattoo is why? Is it to glorify myself? Or God?

Reactions: PrincetonGuy
Upvote 0
D

dies-l

I think it all comes down to motivation. Nothing wrong with a tattoo or piercing, but if the purpose of the tattoo is draw attention to your sexuality (e.g., lower back tattoos), to puff yourself up, or to fit in with a particular crowd, it is foolish and likely immoral. My biggest question about naval piercings is that it seems that the main purpose is to draw attention to you midriff. If that is the case, would it really be God honoring to encourage people (especially men) to look at you like that?

Upvote 0

oneofchrists

Give Me Stength Lord
Sep 9, 2009
Intervale, New Brunswick Canada
✟8,514.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have five children........all save one has left the nest..........All that have left the nest have recieved tattoo's and piercings.................Never condoned or sanctioned by me I told them that I loathed them and that they were dishonoring to God........They got more of each........Not only do they dishonor God they dishonor Me as well ..........God gave them Freewill and they willed to dis honor their mother and Myself by doing what we dislike...........We got over it though.......And I know God will as well.........But none have come to the Throne of Grace and received Jesus as Lord thus far even the Child who is still at Home .............I Pray every night God will put a yerning in their hearts.............God Bless all of You and also this thread.........Dave

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

new_wine

Citizen
Dec 30, 2010
✟16,339.00
Faith
Christian
God said:

There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

I'll stick with my King, he knows best.

I was told not to do it, because we are the temple of God and by having those things... we are defiling it.

"Know ye not that ye are the Temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the Temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the Temple of God is holy, which Temple ye are." 1 Corinthians 3:16 KJV

Upvote 0

Andy S. Wright

Hiding In Plain Sight
Jun 6, 2009
Texas
✟11,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Put me down in the motivation camp. For those believers who would sit in judgment over their brethren who have tattoos/piercings I would humbly suggest spending some time in Romans 14. I especially like the words found in verse 4 when discussing issues like this:

"Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand."

Just my 2 bits. Do with them what you will.

ASW

Upvote 0

savedfromdistruction

Dec 30, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟8,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

You did not mentioned if you claim to be a Christian. If so then you should know that we do not decide what is right and wrong for ourselves. God does. It is not about if we feel something is all right. It is about how God feels about it. We are to do all we do as unto the Lord. So if you can do this and have no doubts that God wants this for you then you are fine. However if you have any doubts that God may not be pleased and you do it then it would be sin. Romans 14
I suggest that you go here and listen to the messages;
http://www.gerald285.com/index.php?p=1_5_Salvation-Tests

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟117,995.00
Faith
Baptist
So are people saying that it is a sin? Are you saying that god would not allow you into heaven for having tattoos?

Being a Christian is not about keeping the Old Testament Law; being a Christian is about serving Christ, without any reservations, as our Lord and our Saviour. The Apostle Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 10:23-24,

23. All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.
24. Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor. (NASB, 1995)

Whether they should or not, tattoos and body piercings offend many people while serving no useful purpose. Even many non-Christians see them as a display of an immature personality and poor judgment, and associate them with barbarianism and even evil. Therefore, nearly all of the major department stores refuse to have models with tattoos and body piercings beyond the ears model their clothes. Furthermore, having tattoos and body piercings beyond the ears almost eliminates the possibility of one being hired in the medical and dental professions if those tattoos and body piercings are in parts of the body where they can be seen while dressed for work. Moreover, having tattoos and body piercings beyond the ears substantially lessens the likelihood of one being hired in the legal profession or by any other employers who consider them to be inappropriate.

We live in a time when rebellion against the norm is rampant, and tattoos and body piercings are a very significant part of that rebellion. Times, however, change, and who knows how tattoos and body piercings will be looked upon in the future. Will they then be seen by nearly everyone as a display of an immature personality, poor judgment, a rebellious attitude, and the inability to stand up against peer pressure? We do not know, but why take the chance?

I collect art (paintings and sculptures), not on my body where it will ultimately go down with me into the grave, but on my walls, my table tops, fireplace mantles, etc., art that is appreciating in value giving me something of value to leave to my children and to the Church. When I acquire a new piece of art, I may take down one piece and replace it with the new one—or I may sell the old one for a profit and give the money to a family in need.

2 Peter 1:1. Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:
2. Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord;
3. seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.
4. For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.
5. Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge,
6. and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,
7. and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.
8. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9. For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.
10. Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;
11. for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you. (NASB, 1995)

Upvote 0

new_wine

Citizen
Dec 30, 2010
✟16,339.00
Faith
Christian
Well if you go by that ideal then wearing any jewelry or having makeup on serves to useful purpose.

Buying decorations for your home, nik-naks, ornaments, having items bought and never using them, etc. They are all not useful and so should be disallowed.

The King made it clear. THINGS can't make people defile themselves. Only their profane hearts will do that.

You could live like a monk. Owning no personal affects at all and still be an abomination. And you could own the most extensive collection of frog figurines and be head to toe in tattoos and have all the good fruits that Jesus spoke of.

I'd take the useless junk keeping good fruits people over the aesthetic amoral person.

Whether they should or not, tattoos and body piercings offend many people while serving no useful purpose. [/quote]

Upvote 0

Andy S. Wright

Hiding In Plain Sight
Jun 6, 2009
Texas
✟11,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well if you go by that ideal then wearing any jewelry or having makeup on serves to useful purpose.

Buying decorations for your home, nik-naks, ornaments, having items bought and never using them, etc. They are all not useful and so should be disallowed.

The King made it clear. THINGS can't make people defile themselves. Only their profane hearts will do that.

You could live like a monk. Owning no personal affects at all and still be an abomination. And you could own the most extensive collection of frog figurines and be head to toe in tattoos and have all the good fruits that Jesus spoke of.

I'd take the useless junk keeping good fruits people over the aesthetic amoral person.

:amen: I couldn't agree more.

Upvote 0

.Iona.

I love Jesus!
Dec 9, 2007
UK
✟41,546.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Greens
Whether they should or not, tattoos and body piercings offend many people while serving no useful purpose.

They serve a purpose to the people that have them. It can be argued that clothes, jewellery, etc serve no useful purpose, yet they are fine with you I am sure?

We live in a time when rebellion against the norm is rampant, and tattoos and body piercings are a very significant part of that rebellion.

I have tattoos and I am not rebelling against anything. They are not about rebellion - perhaps some do it for that reason yes, but they are more about expressing who you are, just like you express yourself through other ways.

Will they then be seen by nearly everyone as a display of an immature personality, poor judgment, a rebellious attitude, and the inability to stand up against peer pressure? We do not know, but why take the chance?

One - I do not care what anything things about me. If I am happy with myself, then what you or someone else things about the way I look means nothing to me.

A lot of people (especially those with tattoos) do not do it for other people, so what other people think serves no useful purpose.

Two - I thing those who define tattoos as 'immature' or 'poor judgement spend way too much looking into others lives and judging other people.

Three - "why take the chance" - I ask you why you are so concerned about what other people thing of you.

I collect art (paintings and sculptures), not on my body where it will ultimately go down with me into the grave, but on my walls, my table tops, fireplace mantles, etc., art that is appreciating in value giving me something of value to leave to my children and to the Church. When I acquire a new piece of art, I may take down one piece and replace it with the new one—or I may sell the old one for a profit and give the money to a family in need.

I collect art too. I work and earn my own money - so my children will not be left penniless because I also happen to have tattoos. To me that sounds like you are saying that people with tattoos will not have successful lives, and live up to their responsibilities as well as you do and will not be able to provide for their children. And, I find that quite offensive.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟117,995.00
Faith
Baptist
I have tattoos and I am not rebelling against anything. They are not about rebellion - perhaps some do it for that reason yes, but they are more about expressing who you are, just like you express yourself through other ways.

That is precisely why tattoos are desirable to the flesh rather than the Spirit—they express who the wearer is rather than who Christ is. Their purpose is not to draw attention to Christ; their purpose is to draw attention to oneself—the very antithesis of Christianity!

One - I do not care what anything things about me. If I am happy with myself, then what you or someone else things about the way I look means nothing to me.

A lot of people (especially those with tattoos) do not do it for other people, so what other people think serves no useful purpose.

Christians are ambassadors representing the King. What other people think of each and every Christian is very important.

Two - I thing those who define tattoos as 'immature' or 'poor judgement spend way too much looking into others lives and judging other people.

Nonetheless, they do it, and when Christians have tattoos and body piercings, they are, therefore, poor ambassadors.

Three - "why take the chance" - I ask you why you are so concerned about what other people thing of you.

I am very concerned about what people think of me because I am an ambassador representing the King.

I collect art too. I work and earn my own money - so my children will not be left penniless because I also happen to have tattoos. To me that sounds like you are saying that people with tattoos will not have successful lives, and live up to their responsibilities as well as you do and will not be able to provide for their children. And, I find that quite offensive.

The art that I collect will not go down into the grave with me. It is appreciating in value, and my children and my church will be blessed with a large and valuable inheritance. In the meantime, that art is making my home more enjoyable for my family and our guests. Even when “cultured” snobs visit my home, they do not get the impression that I am a barbaric freak; they get the impression that I am a well-educated, cultured person who appreciates art—and that helps me to be a successful ambassador. When people who have tattoos visit my home, they too see that I appreciate art and they respect me for it and are inclined to listen to what I have to say. It is a win, win situation. So far it has not happened, but should a visitor to my home be offended by a piece of art in my home, I could simply remove it to the attic or sell it at a profit—could you do that with your tattoos when they offend other people—or even become undesirable to you? Removing tattoos is a big and lucrative business because there is no shortage of customers who are willing to spend big bucks to get rid of tattoos that they no longer want. So much for good stewardship!

An acquaintance of mine with tattoos on his arms tells me that they are an aid to him in witnessing to gang bangers, drug addicts and alcoholics because they can identify with him. The gang bangers, drug addicts and alcoholics may identify with him, but they get the impression that Christians are really not different than they are. The idea that they can be forgiven of theirs sins, still live in them, and spend eternity in heaven rather than hell is very attractive to them.

Some people with many tattoos are still able to earn a good living and provide materially for their families, but their choices for employment are severely reduced, as is their witness for Christ.

2 Peter 1:1. Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:
2. Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord;
3. seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.
4. For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.
5. Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge,
6. and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,
7. and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.
8. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9. For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.
10. Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;
11. for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you. (NASB, 1995)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.