Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
1Co 2:14 But the natural man (not born again Spiritually) receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. 1Co 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that He may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Christians can understand what the Holy Spirit told us in Scripture but those who remain dead to God in their trespasses and sins, cannot. That's because the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth, authored ALL Scripture. 2Ti 3:16 In order to understand the words of the Holy Spirit, you MUST be born again. Jhn 3:7
Wrong forum.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I sure didn't mean to sound arrogant.

And yet that's what happens when people think that just because they've found religious beliefs that work for them that those same beliefs must work for everyone.

God has His way with things, that's for sure. But, if you truly seek Him... He will come to you. James tells us that, and the Bible speaks the truth.

And there you go again.

No, he will not come to me. Because he doesn't exist. I get that it works for you, and that's great, but you MUST realise that just because it works for me it doesn't mean that it's going to work for everyone. Your belief does not make it truth.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And yet that's what happens when people think that just because they've found religious beliefs that work for them that those same beliefs must work for everyone.

And there you go again.

No, he will not come to me. Because he doesn't exist. I get that it works for you, and that's great, but you MUST realise that just because it works for me it doesn't mean that it's going to work for everyone. Your belief does not make it truth.

In his eyes, you aren't, or weren't, "truly seeking." Basically, whatever you did, or I did, or any seeker did, it wasn't earnest enough, else god would have come to us.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟930,095.00
Faith
Atheist
In his eyes, you aren't, or weren't, "truly seeking." Basically, whatever you did, or I did, or any seeker did, it wasn't earnest enough, else god would have come to us.
I was a Christian for 44 years before I deconverted. But, you know, I just wasn't doing it right or hard enough. It's all on me. (Need a "wry-smile" smilie.)

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I was a Christian for 44 years before I deconverted. But, you know, I just wasn't doing it right or hard enough. It's all on me. (Need a "wry-smile" smilie.)
You know, I didn’t/don’t do it right or hard enough either. That’s why I hang on to Jesus, even when Satan is telling me how twofaced I am. Despite my failures, He hasn’t let go of me... I’m sure thankful for that. You might not be as far-removed as you’re being told you are either.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟930,095.00
Faith
Atheist
You might not be as far-removed as you’re being told you are either.
I'll credit you with lacking the intention, but this comes across as condescending.

Nobody is telling me anything. I endeavor to think for myself and give due diligence to ideas presented to me. The conclusion I came to is that there is no god . More precisely, there is no reason to believe in gods and things for which there are no reasons aren't worth one's time.

There is no "far-removed" as one cannot be removed from that which doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'll credit you with lacking the intention, but this comes across as condescending.

Nobody is telling me anything. I endeavor to think for myself and give due diligence to ideas presented to me. The conclusion I came to is that there is no god . More precisely, there is no reason to believe in gods and things for which there are no reasons aren't worth one's time.

There is no "far-removed" as one cannot be removed from that which doesn't exist.
Well, that pretty much slams the door I guess.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

The only plausible reason for believing in God is that it gives one pleasure to do so and is not otherwise harmful. Because one is supposed to, or is afraid not to, or thinks oneself forced to are all bad reasons. The worst reason is the perception that without God life would be meaningless and intolerable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No. No, it doesn't. God, should one exist, is free to present itself.
I hope you guys get past this arrogance and condescending stuff... none of that going on with me. But, you sound a little in-between here, one post is "More precisely, there is no reason to believe in gods and things for which there are no reasons aren't worth one's time. There is no "far-removed" as one cannot be removed from that which doesn't exist" and the next one is "God, should one exist, is free to present itself." I'll continue discussing, if you want to?

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟930,095.00
Faith
Atheist
I hope you guys get past this arrogance and condescending stuff... none of that going on with me. But, you sound a little in-between here, one post is "More precisely, there is no reason to believe in gods and things for which there are no reasons aren't worth one's time. There is no "far-removed" as one cannot be removed from that which doesn't exist" and the next one is "God, should one exist, is free to present itself." I'll continue discussing, if you want to?
I appreciate the offer, but no thank you.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I hope you guys get past this arrogance and condescending stuff... none of that going on with me.

Yes, there is.

When you tell people, "Do what I did and I know you'll get the same results that I got," you are telling people that your experience is a better measure of what will happen to that person than that person's own experience. You are telling people that you understand their life better than they do.

I know you aren't doing it intentionally, and you probably don't even see it. But it is there.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, there is.

When you tell people, "Do what I did and I know you'll get the same results that I got," you are telling people that your experience is a better measure of what will happen to that person than that person's own experience. You are telling people that you understand their life better than they do.

I know you aren't doing it intentionally, and you probably don't even see it. But it is there.
Maybe, but I was just looking back over my comments, and I don't see an arrogant or condescending tone. You know, when we're discussing the science aspect of things, and evolutionists say "if you had studied science and knew anything about it, you'd see evolution like we do (paraphrasing of course)"... how do you catagorize that tone any differently from the one you're ascribing to me?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Maybe, but I was just looking back over my comments, and I don't see an arrogant or condescending tone. You know, when we're discussing the science aspect of things, and evolutionists say "if you had studied science and knew anything about it, you'd see evolution like we do (paraphrasing of course)"... how do you catagorize that tone any differently from the one you're ascribing to me?

Of course, when it comes to science, it actually IS the same for everyone. Evolution is not true for some people while being false for others. Science produces constant results, but religion doesn't. It is indeed arrogant to claim that your opinion is right for everyone. But if something is an objective fact, then it's not arrogant. Would it be arrogant for me to tell you that 1+1=2 if you thought it was 3?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
I’m not questioning your sincerity at all. It’s not my place to, I’ve strayed in my journey, but He has never let me get to far from the path. I believe anyone who lets the Holy Spirit expose the broken, prideful (no recognized need or desire for God in their lives) self they are, earnestly and openly confesses their sinful state before God, heartfeltly acknowledges that Christ died for their sins and arose on the third day as the Gospels tell us, and asks for forgiveness and for Jesus to come into their life... will experience a miraculous change in their heart and thinking, and a new life from that point on. Seek Him and He will draw close to you; bargaining doesn’t seem to work.

Amen, the secret is in meaning it. It's hard to fool Him.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist

Please tell us what you did to become a Christian. Most people have NO idea how to get to Heaven. Can you tell us?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.