Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The KJV translators were unable to support it archaically so they italicized the word showing that it was "fit" into place in the opinion of the educated translator. It's the same throughout the KJV and helps one understand the work they did, 400 years ago.
You have no idea about what the use of italics signifies in KJV, do you? For someone who claims to know so much you are remarkably ill-informed.

Italics in KJV

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟652,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I read them. There's nothing in Matthew 13:55 to indicate that the word is being used to mean a stepson who took on the legal status of his step father. Can you back up the claims you made, or is showing me passages that use the word "son" the best you can do?
Yes, I’ll back them up, but of course you have no intention of trying to understand.

The point is that verses from all four gospels are listed, each showing that Jesus was thought of, and referred to, as the son of Joseph (thereby apparently satisfying the reckoning by law aspect). Of course, I don’t have the first century law to quote you, but according to the material Speedwell pointed to, Africanus, who lived within 150 years of Jesus provided information from his time for the following:

“3. whereas then some of those who are inserted in this genealogical table succeeded by natural descent, the son to the father, while others, though born of one father, were ascribed by name to another, mention was made of both of those who were progenitors in fact and of those who were so only in name.

4. Thus neither of the gospels is in error, for one reckons by nature, the other by law. For the line of descent from Solomon and that from Nathan were so involved, the one with the other, by the raising up of children to the childless and by second marriages, that the same persons are justly considered to belong at one time to one, at another time to another; that is, at one time to the reputed fathers, at another to the actual fathers. So that both these accounts are strictly true and come down to Joseph with considerable intricacy indeed, yet quite accurately.”

I think you are quibbling over a little detail in order to avoid discussing the issue. If it helps you comprehend what I'm saying, feel free to imagine me as a man. :rolleyes:
The ‘back up’ you requested is listed above (which would seem to apply to your hypothetical case as well, if your daughter was a son)... now we’ll see who’s quibbling?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I’ll back them up, but of course you have no intention of trying to understand.

The point is that verses from all four gospels are listed, each showing that Jesus was thought of, and referred to, as the son of Joseph (thereby apparently satisfying the reckoning by law aspect). Of course, I don’t have the first century law to quote you, but according to the material Speedwell pointed to, Africanus, who lived within 150 years of Jesus provided information from his time for the following:

“3. whereas then some of those who are inserted in this genealogical table succeeded by natural descent, the son to the father, while others, though born of one father, were ascribed by name to another, mention was made of both of those who were progenitors in fact and of those who were so only in name.

4. Thus neither of the gospels is in error, for one reckons by nature, the other by law. For the line of descent from Solomon and that from Nathan were so involved, the one with the other, by the raising up of children to the childless and by second marriages, that the same persons are justly considered to belong at one time to one, at another time to another; that is, at one time to the reputed fathers, at another to the actual fathers. So that both these accounts are strictly true and come down to Joseph with considerable intricacy indeed, yet quite accurately.”

The ‘back up’ you requested is listed above (which would seem to apply to your hypothetical case as well, if your daughter was a son)... now we’ll see who’s quibbling?

Was that so difficult? All I wanted was something to show that the word could be used in the way you said.

Can you give some more information about this Africanus, where he wrote this?

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
It's great that you admit to making errors. It would be even better if you'd admit to the errors many users have repeatedly demonstrated you making.

Hmmm, given that that is not what that passage says, I feel safe stating that I probably understand it better than you. Of course, you have your own interpretation of many passages in the bible which contradict what is actually written, don't you?

I don't know because some here never post their view, but instead, only criticism of those who do. Tell us your view of what the verse is speaking of IF you have one.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
And you have ignored my ACTUAL question.

I'm not asking what the earliest word in English version was. I'm asking what it was in the oldest surviving copies of the text is. In Aramaic or Hebrew or whatever it is written in.

It doesn't matter since God moved the translators to write His Truth to more people than any other Book on Earth. Give Him a little credit for a change..His name is Jesus.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
You have no idea about what the use of italics signifies in KJV, do you? For someone who claims to know so much you are remarkably ill-informed.

Italics in KJV

Thanks for the info especially since it confirms my post that God moved the men who would translate His Holy Word, to write His Truth to the most Humans. His success is enormous since Genesis tells us of future events at the end of the present 6th Day. Thanks again...

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't matter since God moved the translators to write His Truth to more people than any other Book on Earth. Give Him a little credit for a change..His name is Jesus.

Do you even understand that this is not the slightest bit convincing, because it requires me to accept without evidence the very thing I am asking evidence for?

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the info especially since it confirms my post that God moved the men who would translate His Holy Word, to write His Truth to the most Humans. His success is enormous since Genesis tells us of future events at the end of the present 6th Day. Thanks again...
It actually confirms that you're making erroneous claims and do not understand how the KJV was compiled.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know because some here never post their view, but instead, only criticism of those who do. Tell us your view of what the verse is speaking of IF you have one.
Here's a very simple thought for you - the passage doesn't mention scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟652,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Was that so difficult? All I wanted was something to show that the word could be used in the way you said.

Can you give some more information about this Africanus, where he wrote this?
I hear you. The short answer to your last question is ‘no,’ not really. As it is so many times with a lot of us, I did very little research beyond what I wanted to hear. But, I did read enough to see that apparently this view has not been without issue either. So, I’m sure a dispute could be found, if you are so inclined. And, as it is with many reviews concerning the Bible, research usually leads you where you want to go. Consequently, these type arguments can be supported and disputed till... (for a long time). As for me, I’ll just leave it where we stand.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Do you even understand that this is not the slightest bit convincing, because it requires me to accept without evidence the very thing I am asking evidence for?

Then you should ask God for the Faith to believe in Jesus' death for your sins, being buried and being resurrected the third day according to the Scriptures. Your Heavenly Father will give you that Faith at no charge. Just ask....

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
It's great that you admit to making errors. It would be even better if you'd admit to the errors many users have repeatedly demonstrated you making.

Hmmm, given that that is not what that passage says, I feel safe stating that I probably understand it better than you. Of course, you have your own interpretation of many passages in the bible which contradict what is actually written, don't you?

1Co 2:14 But the natural man (not born again Spiritually) receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. 1Co 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that He may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Christians can understand what the Holy Spirit told us in Scripture but those who remain dead to God in their trespasses and sins, cannot. That's because the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth, authored ALL Scripture. 2Ti 3:16 In order to understand the words of the Holy Spirit, you MUST be born again. Jhn 3:7

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟923,105.00
Faith
Atheist
Then you should ask God for the Faith to believe in Jesus' death for your sins, being buried and being resurrected the third day according to the Scriptures. Your Heavenly Father will give you that Faith at no charge. Just ask....
Been there, did that. He didn't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I've mentioned several times on this forum now that I've actually done this, because it was important to my husband. And I got nothing.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟652,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Been there, did that. He didn't.
I've mentioned several times on this forum now that I've actually done this, because it was important to my husband. And I got nothing.
I’m not questioning your sincerity at all. It’s not my place to, I’ve strayed in my journey, but He has never let me get to far from the path. I believe anyone who lets the Holy Spirit expose the broken, prideful (no recognized need or desire for God in their lives) self they are, earnestly and openly confesses their sinful state before God, heartfeltly acknowledges that Christ died for their sins and arose on the third day as the Gospels tell us, and asks for forgiveness and for Jesus to come into their life... will experience a miraculous change in their heart and thinking, and a new life from that point on. Seek Him and He will draw close to you; bargaining doesn’t seem to work.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I’m not questioning your sincerity at all. It’s not my place to, I’ve strayed in my journey, but He has never let me get to far from the path. I believe anyone who lets the Holy Spirit expose the broken, prideful (no recognized need or desire for God in their lives) self they are, earnestly and openly confesses their sinful state before God, heartfeltly acknowledges that Christ died for their sins and arose on the third day as the Gospels tell us, and asks for forgiveness and for Jesus to come into their life... will experience a miraculous change in their heart and thinking, and a new life from that point on. Seek Him and He will draw close to you; bargaining doesn’t seem to work.

Sees rather arrogant to assume that because it worked for you that it must work for everyone else. You have to realise that people can do what you suggest and not get the results your beliefs tell you they will get.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟652,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sees rather arrogant to assume that because it worked for you that it must work for everyone else.
I sure didn't mean to sound arrogant.

You have to realise that people can do what you suggest and not get the results your beliefs tell you they will get.
God has His way with things, that's for sure. But, if you truly seek Him... He will come to you. James tells us that, and the Bible speaks the truth.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You should ask something you don't believe in for the faith to believe in that thing you don't believe in.

Does that seriously make sense to you?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.