• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Survivor suffering spiritual crisis

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi,

My name is Patsy and I was assaulted as a child. My own abuse memories, extensive as they were, never interfered with my faith as a Christian. But then a man I met and married from my church sexually molested my daughter (his step daughter.) At first it didn't seem to interfere with my relationship with God. I have even come to the point that I was able to forgive him, although I'll never trust him anywhere near my children again.

But lately I've found myself in a spiritual crisis. When I hear people talking about praying to God and thanking God, I feel bitter inside that these things happened to me and my children and I don't want to talk to God.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar and if it gets better or worse?

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It's a really hard issue to deal with. But it is just one of the "Why do Christians have bad things happen" that so many Christians face. And, there are no simplistic answers to those questions. It is our hope that sustains us in such times.

John
NZ

Reactions: Pats
Upvote 0

ForAMomentIWillFly

Just your everyday superhero :/
Aug 26, 2007
✟15,765.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You're a bigger woman than I, Patsy.

If someone hurt my child, I wouldn't forgive. I know it's brutal, but I'd hope he'd be ready to meet God, because I'd ensure he was on his way.

To even consider that you should forgive him, that's a milestone. Your walk with God seems strong despite this, and I am sorry for what your family has suffered. Stay strong for your children, namely your daughter who was hurt so badly.

Reactions: Pats
Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's a really hard issue to deal with. But it is just one of the "Why do Christians have bad things happen" that so many Christians face. And, there are no simplistic answers to those questions. It is our hope that sustains us in such times.

John
NZ

Perhaps you're right about our hope. I know a huge part of my problem has been that I hurt my walk by falling away from attending church. Perhaps getting back in touch with my church body will help heal me. :)

Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're a bigger woman than I, Patsy.

If someone hurt my child, I wouldn't forgive. I know it's brutal, but I'd hope he'd be ready to meet God, because I'd ensure he was on his way.

To even consider that you should forgive him, that's a milestone. Your walk with God seems strong despite this, and I am sorry for what your family has suffered. Stay strong for your children, namely your daughter who was hurt so badly.

Oh, I didn't start out forgiving him, believe you me. That came over time and understanding of the victimization he suffered as a child. Don't get me wrong, I can never be with him as man and wife again. He also lives in another state, so I feel that my family is safe from him. He was very damaging to us all at one time, in different ways.

Thank you for your encouraging words.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
hi there,
I myself have been abused as a child in every way...mentally, sexually and physically. It does get easier as time passes. But why do these things happen? I'm not sure. The enemy convinces people to do horrible things. God cannot stop a person's freewill. If you wanted to kill the person who did this to your child, God would not stop it. Bad things do happen in this world and the bible does not deny that. But the great thing about Christ is that He always offers open arms and a shoulder to cry on when we're hurt and He always takes the bad things in life and turns them into good. Now that I'm grown up, I find myself being able to help other children who are abused...I'm able to sympathize with them and they know where I'm coming from. But it does get better! And please don't run from Christ. Run towards Him and He will bring you comfort like you'll never understand!

Reactions: EbonNelumbo
Upvote 0