MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think QC has a good point about knowledge. It is only through Jesus that we can reach heaven - 'no one can come to the Father except through me'. This does not say 'no one can come to the Father except through knowledge about me'. Faith and knowledge are not the same thing, grace and knowledge are not the same thing.

very true :thumbsup: and praise God for that!

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If you have heard the gospel and reject it. yes...Jesus said you will be condemned. Those are HIS words in many passages throughout the gospels.

well that is true; there's a BIG difference between people who have never heard of Christ, and those who know about Him and yet still reject Him.

Upvote 0

kisstheson

Contributor
Aug 6, 2005
✟14,639.00
Faith
Christian
yes folks. its not just the evangelicals that are going astray...

"More than most groups, Catholics break with their church, and not just on issues like abortion and homosexuality. Only six in 10 Catholics described God as "a person with whom people can have a relationship" - which the church teaches - while three in 10 described God as an "impersonal force."

"The statistics show, more than anything else, that many who describe themselves as Catholics do not know or understand the teachings of their church," said Denver Roman Catholic Archbishop Charles Chaput. "Being Catholic means believing what the Catholic church teaches. It is a communion of faith, not simply of ancestry and family tradition. It also means that the church ought to work harder at evangelizing its own members."

here's the linky:
http://www.adn.com/24hour/religion/story/444183.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I just want to say something that I hope won't seem as an attack on people, but I feel responsible to say it..

please let's not make this into a "contest" between Catholics and Protestants, like - who is more devout and who is going astray more..

we're all in God's family, and if a Protestant is going astray, that's our brother or sister who needs help... and if a Catholic is going astray, that should also concern Protestants.. we should care about Christ's Body as a whole, and even though Protestants are not in full communion with the Church they're also part of it, as it says in the Catechism.

It makes me feel sad to see people posting quotes on how many Catholics are not strong believers, or how many Protestants for that matter.. unless it's done simply to provide information (like those "news" threads we have sometimes, which are great) or to promote good discussion on what could be done to help the situation (hopefully this thread is one of those). We should feel sad when we notice each other's flaws, and not be in a "contest" with one another...not accusing anyone here of doing this, but I've seen it happen in other places (and been part of it myself at times, sad to say...I'm not preaching from a high tower here, lol)

Again, this is not to attack anyone; I mean I don't know people's hearts and quite probably their intentions are alright... but I don't see the intention, only the words on my computer screen, so I just had to say it.

Peace:groupray:

monica

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,694,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well it is not a strictly Catholic problem. Nor should it be presented that way. There are those that go under the title of Christian that have all sorts of beliefs contrary to basic foundational beliefs.

Scripture warns of this so nobody should be suprised.

Truth is, there are Christians of all stripes that are not interested it learning their faith. And if they do, they take things out of context to mold it into something more comfy.

Best you can do is pray for them & be an example of Christian grace to the best of your ability. But none of us are perfect, we just gotta try.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
well that is true; there's a BIG difference between people who have never heard of Christ, and those who know about Him and yet still reject Him.

Sometimes I think its not such as big difference as one might think because its seldom clear to what extent someone is rejecting Him.

Even once one comes to know of Jesus and what He teaches there is a process of conversion bit by bit. Its allot to absorb and conform to and the world and our baggage gets in the way every way it can.

I suppose what your saying would be more true if one were to say, Yes Jesus I know you certainly teach this but I am going to sin anyway regardless then I have made that big difference a reality.

Then again there is what someone mistakenly believes Jesus to teach or rationalizes it to conform to themselves which is subjective depending on the reasons for it. We have an uncanny ability to disregard our own conscience even having once known the truth. I think only the Lord can judge the circumstances and our weaknesses in those instances. I can think of many examples.

Upvote 0

kisstheson

Contributor
Aug 6, 2005
✟14,639.00
Faith
Christian
"I suppose what your saying would be more true if one were to say, Yes Jesus I know you certainly teach this but I am going to sin anyway regardless..."

There are plenty of people who are saying this and don't dig Jesus' narrow way of thinking. They consider Him to be arrogant when He says "I am the way." they have more tolerance for islam and buddism. Jesus is a lot of people's punching bag. Just watch south park,family guy and the simsons.

monica I didn't post the Catholic quote to pick on Catholics. I think ALL Christians need to wake up, pray and learn what Jesus said about Himself in the gosples. he's not some kind of love guru smoking wacky weed, singing, "Everybody's beautiful!"

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Joab, you have a good point there...
I guess what I should have said is that there's a difference between those who have never heard of Christ and those who reject Him with knowledge and intent, perhaps I'm talking in extremes here though. I'm sure that God understands those who just have a problem to overcome before they can accept Him more fully, and there is something preventing them from putting their trust in Him that is outside of their understanding.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
monica I didn't post the Catholic quote to pick on Catholics. I think ALL Christians need to wake up, pray and learn what Jesus said about Himself in the gosples. he's not some kind of love guru smoking wacky weed, singing, "Everybody's beautiful!"

oki :) thanks for clarifying that.

God bless:hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are plenty of people who are saying this and don't dig Jesus' narrow way of thinking. They consider Him to be arrogant when He says "I am the way." they have more tolerance for islam and buddism. Jesus is a lot of people's punching bag. Just watch south park,family guy and the simsons.

Probably so and its sad but really on them and between them and God. I try to avoid taking in what will defile me in terms of media any more.

monica I didn't post the Catholic quote to pick on Catholics. I think ALL Christians need to wake up, pray and learn what Jesus said about Himself in the gosples. he's not some kind of love guru smoking wacky weed, singing, "Everybody's beautiful!

Does this mean your going to confession and communion? ;) By the way did you watch that movie and if so was it funny?

Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It has been over 3 years now i'm sure. It was before i had any interest of learning anything from the bible. Well, i guess i've always had an interest, just not the time. Too busy playing games and hanging out with the guys and such.

So anyway, one morning i'm waking up and i heard a women's voice speaking to me. She said, "you must believe the word of Jesus". So me, i look from side to side and around the room moving my eyes around looking for someone. I walk around the house and i'm the only person awake. Everybody else is asleep. I don't see anyone, but i heard someone speaking to me.

For some reason it bothered me. I had no idea what it meant. "you must believe the word of Jesus". So it was stuck in my head and i would think about those words so often that it began to disturb me some because i didn't understand what it meant. That is when i googled christian forums and found this place.

I know what it means now.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,694,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It has been over 3 years now i'm sure. It was before i had any interest of learning anything from the bible. Well, i guess i've always had an interest, just not the time. Too busy playing games and hanging out with the guys and such.

So anyway, one morning i'm waking up and i heard a women's voice speaking to me. She said, "you must believe the word of Jesus". So me, i look from side to side and around the room moving my eyes around looking for someone. I walk around the house and i'm the only person awake. Everybody else is asleep. I don't see anyone, but i heard someone speaking to me.

For some reason it bothered me. I had no idea what it meant. "you must believe the word of Jesus". So it was stuck in my head and i would think about those words so often that it began to disturb me some because i didn't understand what it meant. That is when i googled christian forums and found this place.

Wow! Thanks be to God! :clap:

I always wonder why some people get these 'visitations' while others don't. :confused:

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

wow that's awesome!! :hug:praise God! :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A. It's God Who brings one to Heaven through Christ (not Christ...that statement quoted in the OP by Christ is only applicable to Believers).

and...

B. Romans 2 clearly states that non-Christians can get into heaven.

:)

Romans 2 can be summed up as judge not, less you be judged, nothing about entering into the kingdom of heaven.

Upvote 0

seeker777

Thinking is not a sin.
Jun 15, 2008
✟9,354.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
ust watch south park,family guy and the simsons.

I don't think the Simpsons is being at all disrespectful...in fact, one of my all time favourite episodes is when a Catholic Priest ( Liam Neeson) is mentoring Bart as he considers converting to Catholicism.

The two greatest scenes are when Marge day dreams about the difference between Protestant Heaven and Catholic Heaven....hilarious.

When Homer finds out about Catholic confession....his confession is very very funny.

The best Ned Flanders quote has to be :
Bless the grocer for this wonderful meat, the middleman who jacked up the price, and let's not forget the humane but determined boys at the slaughterhouse.

Followed by: I've done everything the Bible says - even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!

I think your off the mark when you suggest that the Simpsons makes Jesus a punching bag....did you know that the only character on the Simpsons that has 4 fingers and a thumb is God? Every other character has 4 fingers.

How many TV shows on regular cable do you know that even discuss religion or even mention God on a semi regular basis?

Now you have a case for Family Guy and South Park! Lol

Upvote 0

ThomasAbel70

Thoroughbred Christian
May 3, 2008
New York
Visit site
✟15,277.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
:D
I love that Simpsons Catholic/Protestant Heaven skit!

Reminds me of a couple of jokes (to our Protestant friends, it's just a joke! Enjoy!):

An Atheist dies & goes to heaven.

Peter is giving him the grand tour.

All the hosts of heaven are in groups and generally having a grand old time.

"Here's the Catholics, the Orhtodox, the Muslims, the Buddhists, there's the Anlicans...over there are the former-Atheists"

"We all gather in the center and worship God together."

Everybody was happy and seemed to be having a good time.

This lead the man to wonder and he asked Peter...

"Well, what about me?" Peter asked him "Do you believe now?" YES! Said the Atheist. Peter looks at His notes and says, "You led a good life. God is merciful. He'll forgive you.

"Even if I didn't believe before?" said the former-Atheist.

"His mercy is limitless." replied Peter..."Welcome aboard brother."

They were passing a great big wall. Behind it, the former-Atheist could hear all this screaming and yelling and bickering and fighting. There were no doors or windows or end to the wall on either side. It ran forever.

He asked Peter "What's that?"

Peter replied "Oh, those are The Protestants. They think that they're the only one's here."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.