Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,694.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is terrifying. I hope all of the people commenting read the article. The fact that the states control voting wouldn’t stop the scenario presented.

And that is another reason to retain the Electoral College.

The Electoral College makes the vote for president a state vote rather than a national vote. States can hold their election on the day specified by law regardless what the president tries to declare by executive order. Remember that it's not just the president on those ballots. Most of the voting is on state and local issues that none of the states or localities is going to want to delay...regardless of party.

• Agree
Reactions: Sif
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He didn't always have a problem with limiting federal authority.
Any federal politician is going to want to keep some federal authority. Again, specifically, what policy positions did he take that you consider "un-conservative"?

His views on taxes seem a bit iffy at times.
Such as?

I don't think he was against global warming.
It's absolutely nuts to me that straight-up science denial would be considered a part of "conservatism".

His VP pick in 2008 was originally not going to be Palin, but I think his campaign wanted him to do he would appeal to the far right (from what I understand). I think he wanted Joseph Lieberman.
Yes, he did want Lieberman. But rather than indicate his lack of conservatism, I consider that to be a sign that he was, in fact, quite conservative. He knew that his conservative credentials were good enough that he didn't need a far-right VP candidate to get him the presidency - rather, he needed a moderate in order to pick up independents and moderate Democrats. McCain/Palin was a very unbalanced ticket. You had conservative McCain and VERY conservative Palin. They weren't going to lose any Republican votes, but they didn't pick up nearly as many votes in the middle, which is where the race is won.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Any federal politician is going to want to keep some federal authority. Again, specifically, what policy positions did he take that you consider "un-conservative"?

Such as?

It's absolutely nuts to me that straight-up science denial would be considered a part of "conservatism".

Yes, he did want Lieberman. But rather than indicate his lack of conservatism, I consider that to be a sign that he was, in fact, quite conservative. He knew that his conservative credentials were good enough that he didn't need a far-right VP candidate to get him the presidency - rather, he needed a moderate in order to pick up independents and moderate Democrats. McCain/Palin was a very unbalanced ticket. You had conservative McCain and VERY conservative Palin. They weren't going to lose any Republican votes, but they didn't pick up nearly as many votes in the middle, which is where the race is won.
To be honest I have not done much research into his policies and all that. I was far too young to vote in 2008, and what I know about McCain is what I've heard from others and read. And that's not much, but from what I heard, I got the impression he was not that conservative. Like I said, he was probably a moderate conservative, rather than right wing type conservative, like some might say I am. It really depends on your definition.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,283.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He may have to be dragged kicking and screaming out of the Oval Office. This could trigger a national crisis.
Or a national day of rejoicing, and a new national holiday to celebrate annually.

• Winner
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I guess it really depends on the definition of conservatism. In many ways he was, but in some ways he wasn't.
He didn't always have a problem with limiting federal authority. His views on taxes seem a bit iffy at times. I don't think he was against global warming. His VP pick in 2008 was originally not going to be Palin, but I think his campaign wanted him to do he would appeal to the far right (from what I understand). I think he wanted Joseph Lieberman.
I would probably call McCain a moderate conservative.
That seems reasonable. But there have come to be two dimensions of conservatism which must be considered. On the one hand, there is what you might call "traditional" conservatism, with the characteristics I listed earlier--some of which were on your own list. Then there are social-conservative or religious issues which have more lately come to prominence; The response to LGBTs, for instance, and a more extreme stance on abortion that right-wing Evangelicals favor. Even global warming, when characterized as an atheist hoax, and opposition to health care reform--remember, Obamacare was modeled after a health care plan conceived by a Republican governor.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
No, we're still missing something. What you posted sounds like John McCain yet you say he wasn't really a conservative.

John McCain was not an anti Communist! He lived in North Vietnam for 5 ½ years for crying out loud!

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That seems reasonable. But there have come to be two dimensions of conservatism which must be considered. On the one hand, there is what you might call "traditional" conservatism, with the characteristics I listed earlier--some of which were on your own list. Then there are social-conservative or religious issues which have more lately come to prominence; The response to LGBTs, for instance, and a more extreme stance on abortion that right-wing Evangelicals favor. Even global warming, when characterized as an atheist hoax, and opposition to health care reform--remember, Obamacare was modeled after a health care plan conceived by a Republican governor.
Yes, like I've said before, I'm kind of anti establishment, because they aren't doing much to help.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
To be honest I have not done much research into his policies and all that. I was far too young to vote in 2008, and what I know about McCain is what I've heard from others and read. And that's not much, but from what I heard, I got the impression he was not that conservative
You see the danger of propaganda? Trump and his sycophants labelled McCain as "not a true conservative" because he was critical of Trump. And apparently you took them at their word and bought into it. Hook, line, and sinker. I'm glad we were able to open your mind a bit on this issue - it's important to ask questions and do your own research when someone tells you what you should think rather than just accepting it blindly.

And that includes this thread - you shouldn't necessarily believe me when I say that McCain was a conservative. Look up his policy positions and his voting record in the Senate. Perhaps there are positions he's taken that, in your mind, disqualify him from conservatism as you see it. But you should know what they are and be able to articulate them. I may not agree with you, but I can at least respect a well-reasoned opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You see the danger of propaganda? Trump and his sycophants labelled McCain as "not a true conservative" because he was critical of Trump. And apparently you took them at their word and bought into it. Hook, line, and sinker. I'm glad we were able to open your mind a bit on this issue - it's important to ask questions and do your own research when someone tells you what you should think rather than just accepting it blindly.

And that includes this thread - you shouldn't necessarily believe me when I say that McCain was a conservative. Look up his policy positions and his voting record in the Senate. Perhaps there are positions he's taken that, in your mind, disqualify him from conservatism as you see it. But you should know what they are and be able to articulate them. I may not agree with you, but I can at least respect a well-reasoned opinion.
Actually, I didn't know Trump said that. McCain wasn't the conservative I am. Really, I don't know of many that are.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You see the danger of propaganda? Trump and his sycophants labelled McCain as "not a true conservative" because he was critical of Trump.

Good grief. McCain was being criticized--reviled, even--by the conservatives in his party long before anyone even thought of Trump running for office. That's one reason McCain was advised to balance the ticket by taking Sarah Palin as his running mate--because she was known to be not only young governor and a female but a conservative firebrand.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I didn't know Trump said that. McCain wasn't the conservative I am. Really, I don't know of many that are.

How long did you serve in the Armed Forces of the United States?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
McCain wasn't the conservative I am. Really, I don't know of many that are.
You're never going to find many people who match your political views exactly, no matter what they are. Obama wasn't the liberal that I am, neither was Hillary, nor is Biden. That doesn't mean they aren't politically liberal.

Good grief. McCain was being criticized--reviled, even--by the conservatives in his party long before anyone even thought of Trump running for office. That's one reason McCain was advised to balance the ticket by taking Sarah Palin as his running mate--because she was known to be not only young governor and a female but a conservative firebrand.
I'm aware. Given his statements about not being politically aware in 2008 though, it seemed reasonable to assume that this latest round of McCain criticism had more influence on his opinions.

And while the Tea Party saw Palin as balancing the ticket, independents didn't. Ultimately, I think that a McCain/Lieberman ticket would have performed better. The far right wouldn't have abandoned McCain in enough numbers to cause him to lose any states he won with Palin, and he would have picked up significantly more of the independent/undecided vote with a more moderate VP. That's essentially the strategy that Obama used. As a fairly center-left politician, he picked a more moderate VP in Biden. And it worked.

• Agree
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I haven't. What made you think I had?

Conservatives used to value serving in the military but I see now that the real Conservatives just sent others to do the dyeing. Good job at being better than John McCain.

• Haha
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Conservatives used to value serving in the military but I see now that the real Conservatives just sent others to do the dyeing. Good job at being better than John McCain.
You don't know me, so I fail to see how you think I'm better than John McCain.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's hardly melodrama after he had the audacity to say that if I'm a conservative and I want to hold on to those principles I'm going to have become a democrat.
With the Trump era, it really is the D's who are the conservatives anymore. Trump R's are radicals. I'm serious about this.

• Agree
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With the Trump era, it really is the D's who are the conservatives anymore. Trump R's are radicals. I'm serious about this.
What do think the Dems are conserving? And yes, some might call my views radical. I don't know. What does radical mean to you?

Upvote 0