• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Suppose Trump used the emergency powers to postpone the election

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by jardiniere, Aug 14, 2020.

1. jardiniere

jardiniere Well-Known Member

+544
    Pantheist
    "The question isn't whether Trump has legal authority to move Election Day and thereby extend his presidency—he doesn't—but a different question: what happens if he just declares that he *does* have this power? And what if he can do so with a false *veneer* of legal legitimacy?"
    And so Seth Abramson walks us through such a scenario.

Would you vote in November anyway?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,000
    Agnostic
    Single
    The time would be better spent overthrowing our new dictator.

3. GreatLakes4Ever

GreatLakes4Ever Well-Known Member

+1,941
    United States
    Humanist
    Engaged
    Vote anyways and hope enough of Trump’s idiotic followers believe him, don’t vote, and hand Biden an easy victory.

4. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Well-Known Member

+2,886
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Married
    They keep pushing this mail-in voting charade, he just might need to declare an emergency, or even martial law, and blame it on the fake pandemic if he needs to.

5. Soldier of the Cross

Soldier of the Cross Well-Known Member

+347
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I am a Trump supporter, but I really don't see a reason to postpone the election.

6. Xenophon

Xenophon Active Member

+392
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Wouldn't that depend on whether or on the local polls were open? Feel like we wouldn't get a say in it regardless of how it goes down.

7. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster Well-Known Member

+965
    Atheist
    Private
    If the polling place is open, I will vote.

If it is not open, I will go to the board of elections and demand that they open it.

It is that simple.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. QvQ

QvQ Member

+62
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    The Supreme Court ruled that Rhode Island could do vote by mail, not witness or notary because there wasn't any opposition. In Alabama, the Court stated that witnesses were needed because there was State opposition.
    How voting is conducted is a State's right. That is why there is a Federal Voting Rights Act passed very late in the nation's history but that Federal imposition is limited in scope..
    A State could, theoretically, suspend an election but the Federal Government cannot.
    That is the basis of the Supreme Court decisions which seem to be contradictory but aren't.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. JackRT

JackRT Well-Known Member Supporter

+15,493
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    He might be able to make a case for a small delay in the actual election but the Constitution is very clear --- a president leaves office on January 6 and a new President (possibly the same person) takes office. He may have to be dragged kicking and screaming out of the Oval Office. This could trigger a national crisis.

10. QvQ

QvQ Member

+62
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Yes, How voting is conducted, when where and how is a up to the States. The Feds had to pass the Voting Rights Act to get any control over the process.
    The States could, theoretically, cancel an election. The Feds cannot.
    The States open the polls and pass out the ballots.
    Most don't seem to understand the political process very well. Trump could cancel the election but only if the officials in the States do that. Trump knows that it was a suggestion, not a mandate like Biden/Harris mask "mandate."

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+3,286
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    As soon is I get my mail ballot. I plan to vote.

12. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+21,686
    Agnostic
    Single
    What would happen? the Left would condemn it, the Right would rationalize it, and we'd usher in the reign of Donald I.

13. TLK Valentine

+21,686
    Agnostic
    Single
    Donald hasn't given you one yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  14. TLK Valentine

+21,686
    Agnostic
    Single
    As good a reason as any to delay your ballot as long as the Establishment can...

15. Nithavela

Nithavela The reasoning for the seasoning

+12,448
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    Only because Fox & Friends haven't given him one yet.

16. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,363
    Anglican
    Married
    Maybe little green men from Mars will land here and turn half of the population into salt.

Maybe Biden's people will overthrow the US government before election day and declare a "Peoples Republic."
    Would you vote anyway?

Maybe all the candidates will mysteriously vanish before election day.

:rolleyes:

The point is that all manner of absurd speculation can be offered if we want to talk about things that are not real. We should be sticking to serious conversation on this "American Politics" forum, however; there are other forums for idle chatter, joking around, and so on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+12,335
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    No, on January 20, 2021 at 12:00 noon Senator Patrick Leahy would become the new Pro Temp of the Senate, temporarily filling in for the next President.

18. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+12,335
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I agree I can't see even these Republicans in Congress now playing along with any scenario like this.

19. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+3,286
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    CA. Isn't delaying mail ballot. Over Trump brainwashing attempt to bash mail voting.

20. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+4,137
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    That is terrifying. I hope all of the people commenting read the article. The fact that the states control voting wouldn’t stop the scenario presented.