Mar 23, 2004
✟51,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Tini said:
Wonderful about the rain.

We are having those lovely Highveld winter days - sun, clear sky with a chill in the air.
Very nice! rember them well.
In Ceres use to get this sunny days but temp was like 1 C and the wind would cut through you, with snow on the Matroos Berg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Howzit all you guys 'n dolls? Josi is nice today! Sun shining, no wind - makes me remeber why I moved here from Cape Town.:)

You guys who've never been to the USA, Utah is a state far west in the desert, sort of like the karoo. But the scenery is stunning! After Utah is Nevada (Las Vegas) and after that is California, where one of my susies lives.

Sasha, I'm Orthodox,(that's my church up in the avatar) and we also swaai the incence and do the Liturgy every week. Actually, we're older that you guys (Catholics) as you broke away from us in 1054. So, like, we're the oldest Christian Church.;) Any questions? lol

How is everybody else? Check youse:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Tini said:
I thought the Orthodox broke from the Catholics ?
I hear there 's talk about reconciliation starting?

OK, I suppose you could say technically it was mutual thing. There were some debates about theological issues that Rome wanted to implement, and the other four original Bishops did not agree on, so they excommunicated each other. But while the RCC steadily changed certain doctrines, the Orthodox have never changed from the last Church Council in the 7th Century. We still do things the way they were done 2000 years ago. You're going to ask, "How do we know", well, the writings of the Church Fathers who came just after the Apostles are still there to read. So we know where we've come from.

As for a reconciliation, that's still a long way off. In essence, the Pope would have to agree to renounce Infalibility, the Immaculate Conception, and various other doctrines before the Orthodox would allow the re-unification.

As matters stand, the Patriarch of Moscow would not allow JPII into Russia last year when the RCC gave back one of our Icons stolen in the Russian Revolution. So reconciliation is still a long way off, and frankly, unlikely ever.

We might look the same from a distance, but the differences run deep. :)

Upvote 0
Tini said:
Thanks - interesting to hear.

Where do you guys meet to worship? And is it a Sunday or Saturday service?

The Russian Orthodox Church is in Midrand - you can see it from the highway after passing vodaworld. There are also Greek Orthodox churches in many suburbs, and the Serbians have a church in Sandton.
I'm a down to earth South Afican, and I only recently converted to Orthodoxy.

Our main Liturgy is on Sunday morning. (In Russian/Slavonoc) We also have English liturgy once a month on Saturday mornings - next one 30 July. I'm in that choir. We have our weekly evening service on Saturday Evening called Vespers.

I used to be an SDA.

Kolya

Upvote 0
K

Kolya

Tini said:
Do you speak Russian?

I can say "Hello", "Thank-you", and "good bye" ;) I can also read it very slowly like a grade 1, but I don't understand what I'm reading.

My wife (who is blind) is learning Russian, and needed to find people to speak with to practise. So her teacher from the embassy told us to go to the Russian Orthodox Church.

I was looking for a new church home at the time too, and after studing and praying about it, one thing led to another. There I was a Russian Orthodox Christian. If you had told me 10 years ago that this would be the course my life would take, I would have laughed you to scorn.
Those Russians are some of the most wonderful people in the world. And for all those years we were being told how terrible they were.:)

Following a Liturgy Service is not difficult, as all the Liturgies are availabe in English, and even in Afrikaans, so we read along. BTW, there is now more Orthodox material available in English than in any other language, as the Russian, Greek and Arabic books are being translated into English.
I forgot to tell you yesterday there is an English Orthodox Parish in Brixton just below the Tower.

I see you are involved in a 'Home/Cell" Church in Melville. I was looking into that type of worship at a stage, and I liked the format. Are you well attended?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.