Suing another Christian because of a fall. Should I do it or not?

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just to be clear, I was simply stating my opinion in a post about how I feel about suing ANYONE for damages based on the facts of this particular case. And as I always like to say, "opinions vary". The op asked for it, so I gave it. :)

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just to be clear, I was simply stating my opinion in a post about how I feel about suing ANYONE for damages based on the facts of this particular case. And as I always like to say, "opinions vary". The op asked for it, so I gave it. :)

And if the OP had been after punitive damages or damages for pain and suffering I would agree with you. This poor guy just wants his medical bills paid. Frankly the owner should have apologized to him when the accident happened and told him that he would pay any medical bills. Then this wouldn't be a problem. Instead the owner didn't express remorse or even ask how he was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LadyKay

Nov 6, 2017
Midwest
✟23,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Never sued anyone before till now. I fall in a restaurant parking lot because of a pot hole filled with ice. Fall on my face and broke my nose and went too the hospital ER. The restaurant is being sold by real estate and is not being kept up on maintenance so the parking lot has many pot holes. They are selling the building and parking lot mainly for the land so the building will be torn down. Do I have too sue the owner's or the insurance company? Will I have too go to court? I just want my medical bill paid which will be 1500 or more dollars.

Thanks.

Dear Poster. You are getting all kinds of advice on here and I feel for you. As the advice seems to be all over the place. Some say sue, some say not to sue. I say take some alone time and seek out what God would have you do. Also it may help to seek the advice of a trusted Christian friend or a pastor. I wish you well and may God bless you. Take Care.

Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And if the OP had been after punitive damages or damages for pain and suffering I would agree with you. This poor guy just wants his medical bills paid. Frankly the owner should have apologized to him when the accident happened and told him that he would pay any medical bills. Then this wouldn't be a problem. Instead the owner didn't express remorse or even ask how he was.
I hit a pedestrian once. Hurt him pretty bad. It was CLEARLY the pedestrians fault. However, the insurance company told me not to visit him in the hospital, send flowers, or have any other contact with the person. The reason was simple: It can be construed as a "feeling" of responsibility on my part, just in case he were to sue. And sure enough, he tried to. It didn't go anywhere and never got past a letter of intent to sue or something like that, but it happened.

I see us as a very litigous society and, truth be told, think people are on their own as long as it is a "clear and present danger". If I'm walking through an obviously pothole filled parking lot that is covered in water and it's freezing, I will take responsibility for any falls I have. But that's just me.

I'm also 64 and have no health care insurance.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Bible says if you have aught with a brother/believer that you should
go and be reconciled to your brother....Matthew 5:23
That is, go discuss the matter with the believer and reconcile the matter
and forgive.

In ancient time people didn't have liability insurance, nowadays it is law that people and businesses have insurance coverage in case someone is injured on their property/business.

We see in the bible that if a person is injured by another person or whatever
they are to be compensated...Exodus 21:18-34, Numbers 5:5-7, Romans 13:7-8,...
scripture speaks against being unjust and warns not to be hasty to go to
court...Proverbs 25:8, Matthew 5:25.

We see in the story of the good Samaritan, he walked out agape(love) and provided for the injured man on the wayside, that others passed by.
The good Samaritan didn't cause the injuries, others did that.
The Samaritan showed what it is to be a neighbor to someone.
It's good for us believers to do the same.
If believers be true, then they too would take care of the person injured.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I hit a pedestrian once. Hurt him pretty bad. It was CLEARLY the pedestrians fault. However, the insurance company told me not to visit him in the hospital, send flowers, or have any other contact with the person. The reason was simple: It can be construed as a "feeling" of responsibility on my part, just in case he were to sue. And sure enough, he tried to. It didn't go anywhere and never got past a letter of intent to sue or something like that, but it happened.

I'm not suggesting that you should have sent flowers to the pedestrian in the hospital. But certainly you got out of the car, checked on him, waited until the police or ambulance came. This business owner apparently didn't to any of that.

I see us as a very litigous society and, truth be told, think people are on their own as long as it is a "clear and present danger". If I'm walking through an obviously pothole filled parking lot that is covered in water and it's freezing, I will take responsibility for any falls I have. But that's just me.

Again, a business is responsible to provide safe conditions. This guy apparently did not.

I'm also 64 and have no health care insurance.

Who will care for you if you have major health issues?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they are voluntarily paying, take it. I'm talking about suing.
That would not be an issue. The insurance will rush to give him a few thousand and be resolved of liability. The suing (and religious dilemmas, in my opinion) would only occur if the person starts to ask for an unreasonable amount of money.

I was once a teenager in a government vehicle which was in an accident that scarred my face. The insurance quickly offered 25k for me to be happy and not bother them. But of course, as a teenager, my face was scarred, so my life was over....so no money was going to help me.....I wanted my face back.

These places are businesses designed to deal with these situations. They are trained to give only what they have to, to please the injured...as long as it is reasonable. They get incentives for giving less than deserved. This Op'er will make someone a nice commission.

I dont see an issue in getting medical bills paid by insurance, or not getting it paid. I would not try to get the owner to pay, personally, for reasons mentions by you and others.....it was not him to actively caused me to fall.... But it is law that a clear walkway, free of ice, it paved for pedestrians for businesses and homes...and insurance is still there for when accidents happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
God is the best insurance you can have. Not only can he heal all manner of sickness.....but He can also prevent you from getting them.....

I know of many good Christians who developed illnesses or had accidents and had huge health care bills.

• Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2017
Lennon
✟10,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Listen brother. I really don't think it would be Christian to sue. My reason? Jesus spoke about charity and giving a lot. This also goes hand in hand with his teachings about forgiveness. On one end, if they aren't feeling generous enough to pay your bills, that is on them. And for you, it should be forgiven. Naturally, yes, I would assume a legal matter would be taken to a court of law. This is because you want the law to take care of the matter. So this process may take time if you did take it to court. It MAY also depend on how good a lawyer you could get compared to their lawyers. But on a Christian note, no. I believe it would contradict Jesus' teachings, seeing as how it wouldn't express much forgiveness if you wanted to sue them over this situation. My regards, Sebastian.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know many are like "A christian wouldn't sue... turn the other cheek...."etc. Well lets step it up then. Lets say you are walking at this place he was with your spouse. And your spouse fell and accidentally broke his/her neck and died instantly. Would you still say suing isn't an option? Is a spouses life worth nothing? Would you be like "Well, my spouse is dead but its not a big deal. Turn the other cheek and what not!". Doubt it.

There are some situation in which suing is the only option. Now obviously what happened with the OP isn't end of the world thing. And its only $1500. So suing maybe isn't that important. But I have no issue suing someone if the damage is bad enough that it will affect every aspect of my life. If for example my church didn't maintain their parking lot (which happens to be the case) and I fell on it because its crumbled up, pot holed filler and icy. And I fell on it and broke something. I may sue the church.

Remember, if a parking lot is maintained, there would be no falling to begin with. Because if we are not to sue ever, then it would mean why would we bother fixing up a church or anything? Why would we buy new food for events? Just let people eat moldy food, that can't sue you after all.

I will say with my church when you become a member, you agree to a guide full of things. Which one says if someone in the church has an issue with you, you are not allowed to sue them. It must be brought before the pastor (or elders) and worked out from there. If you break the rule, you can be kicked out of the church. But honestly if the person in the church I was dealing with was before the pastor and we couldn't agree on a solution. And the only option was to just both walk away, I'd sue the person. Sorry, but I'm not going to be taken advantage of. If I lose my membership, then so be it.

I'd be quick to point out "I thought a church is to show love like Jesus? Forgiveness like Jesus? If you can't forgive that I had to sue that guy, then I guess you're a hypocrite.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right before the above passage Paul talks about being able to judge between yourselves.

I think that means that you shouldn't sue someone who's a member of the same church; you should sort it out within the church. I don't think that applies here.

And there's absolutely no reason why the O.P. should walk away from his right to an insurance payout.

But I would encourage the O.P. to get some competent advice (i.e. not from random people on the Internet).

• Winner
Reactions: Almost there
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Never sued anyone before till now. I fall in a restaurant parking lot because of a pot hole filled with ice. Fall on my face and broke my nose and went too the hospital ER. The restaurant is being sold by real estate and is not being kept up on maintenance so the parking lot has many pot holes. They are selling the building and parking lot mainly for the land so the building will be torn down. Do I have too sue the owner's or the insurance company? Will I have too go to court? I just want my medical bill paid which will be 1500 or more dollars.

Thanks.
I have not seen the mention of the liability the owner should have. I would think you would ultimately be dealing with an insurance company.

• Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm pretty sure Jesus told a parable about that. I wonder if the owner truly is a Christian.
Agreed but the OP said he was so I’ll take his word.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you're too unintelligent to recognise a pothole filled with ice then I don't think your adventures through the legal system will be advantageous for your endeavours in getting free money.
So you always look down when you walk, always see everything. Not all of us are that perfect.

Of course the owner had a legal responsibility to maintain his property in safe condition, but apparently that doesn’t matter to you.

• Agree
Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0