Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi :wave:

Sorry I haven't read all the posts in this thread.

My first thoughts to this are that I don't believe that a Christian would go to hell for taking their own life. I believe God is comapssionate and sees all our hearts, and would surely know if someone had taken their life while in the grip of depression from which they could see no release. That surely wouldn't negate the fact that the person HAD believed that Jeus died for their sin on the cross, declared him as their Lord and Saviour, received his Spirit and been born again; and maybe deep down did still believe it, but life in the here-and-now had just become intolerable.

But if people believe that taking a life that God made, even their own, is a sin, and that not being able to trust God/hang on in there in faith is also a sin - then their argument would be that the suicidee (if that's a word), committed a sin but died before they could be repent of it and be forgiven. Therefore, in their eyes, the person died with an unforgiven sin; which I guess would mean that they believe they would go to hell.

Would this one "sin" cancel out the previous acts of grace and repentance?
What if the person didn't die immediately, had enough time to whisper "sorry Lord", but then died? What then?

So I guess my answer is that I don't really know, but I trust in the mercy and compassion of God, and would therefore say not.
Let me ask my father on this one. ;)

Upvote 0

Sarcalogos Deus

Welch Ein Mensch!
Jan 1, 2010
Archdiocese of Oklahoma City
✟8,843.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi :wave:

Sorry I haven't read all the posts in this thread.

My first thoughts to this are that I don't believe that a Christian would go to hell for taking their own life. I believe God is comapssionate and sees all our hearts, and would surely know if someone had taken their life while in the grip of depression from which they could see no release. That surely wouldn't negate the fact that the person HAD believed that Jeus died for their sin on the cross, declared him as their Lord and Saviour, received his Spirit and been born again; and maybe deep down did still believe it, but life in the here-and-now had just become intolerable.

But if people believe that taking a life that God made, even their own, is a sin, and that not being able to trust God/hang on in there in faith is also a sin - then their argument would be that the suicidee (if that's a word), committed a sin but died before they could be repent of it and be forgiven. Therefore, in their eyes, the person died with an unforgiven sin; which I guess would mean that they believe they would go to hell.

Would this one "sin" cancel out the previous acts of grace and repentance?
What if the person didn't die immediately, had enough time to whisper "sorry Lord", but then died? What then?

So I guess my answer is that I don't really know, but I trust in the mercy and compassion of God, and would therefore say not.

If they kill themselves with a instant death method (i.e. a gun) then i would say they would be heading straight to Hell. If they killed themselves with poison which can take hours and they actually try to repent with the time they have left then i would say they would probably end up in Purgatory for a while and then make it to Heaven.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If they kill themselves with a instant death method (i.e. a gun) then i would say they would be heading straight to Hell. If they killed themselves with poison which can take hours and they actually try to repent with the time they have left then i would say they would probably end up in Purgatory for a while and then make it to Heaven.

Please state clearly why the sacrifice of Jesus did not include anyone who commits suicide. Where is that taught in Scripture?

John
NZ

Upvote 0

BlessEwe

Legend
Dec 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟33,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Please state clearly why the sacrifice of Jesus did not include anyone who commits suicide. Where is that taught in Scripture?

John
NZ

I agree John! My mother may have done this or was murdered in 1976, I have searched everywhere in the bible. I know she is with God.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

miss.enigma

Mary-Magdalene of the Risen Christ & the Eucharist
Jan 10, 2010
Finland
✟15,161.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
My main question is: As a true Christian, if you commit suicide, are you given a one-way ticket to hell?

I've done quite a bit of online researching here and there. I've also asked my pastors at my church for their point of view. Of course, they all said "YOU GO TO HELL!" Based on basic knowledge of the scripture and the simple research I've done, I believe that if I were to kill myself at this moment, I would go into heaven. Committing suicide is an act of selfishness. Selfishness is a sin. A sin can be forgiven.

Please share some of your answers to this extremely controversial question. I really am curious, too curious for my own good.
Ok... like you said... it is an extremely controversial question, but never the less very important. The way I have got it explained to me, and the way I myself see it, it is like this... A sin is only a "sin" if you among other things are sound of mind, completley understand the deep impact of what it is that your doing... And if you are that, well then you are in trubble. BUT the thing is, that according to the Catholic faith at least, you allways have (even in the moment of death) that last chance before God, to repent and ask His forgivness. Because when you die, we belive, that you meet Jesus, and that you will - together with him - look at your life and the choises you made, and in that moment you also have a chance to ask forgivness... But since suicide is considered a synptom of psycological factors, then no... itś not a concious sin, and therefore you will not go to hell.

Please excuse my spelling... Iḿ not that good at writing in english...

Upvote 0

miss.enigma

Jan 10, 2010
Finland
✟15,161.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I agree John! My mother may have done this or was murdered in 1976, I have searched everywhere in the bible. I know she is with God.
Yes, she is absolutely with God. Because God is love. And Love forgives.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

miss.enigma

Jan 10, 2010
Finland
✟15,161.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged

John
NZ
Jesus Christ took his cross on him for all of us. And he died for all of us, so that we all could be saved. No special circumstances were said on the cross... No, He died for everyone.

God bless!

Upvote 0

miss.enigma

Jan 10, 2010
Finland
✟15,161.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
My father said if the person didn't die immediately, and had enough time to repent, and then died, nobody knows. It depends on God's will.

But if the person died immediately after suicide, then it's too late.
No, it´s never too late to repent. God never did give a timeline for forgivness or the possibility to repent. It has nothing to do with how fast you go. It is all up to God when you pass the door between life and death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Repentance is not a condition of forgiveness. It is more recognising that something is wrong and wanting to turn from it. Our forgiveness was settled when Jesus rose from the dead. That is when God justified the validity of Christ's sacrifice for us.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

david_x

I So Hate Consequences!!!!
Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
My father said if the person didn't die immediately, and had enough time to repent, and then died, nobody knows. It depends on God's will.

But if the person died immediately after suicide, then it's too late.

What if he repented in hades?

Upvote 0

miss.enigma

Jan 10, 2010
Finland
✟15,161.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Repentance is not a condition of forgiveness. It is more recognising that something is wrong and wanting to turn from it. Our forgiveness was settled when Jesus rose from the dead. That is when God justified the validity of Christ's sacrifice for us.

John
NZ
But if you dont whant to repent - to turn your life around, to change your ways - why would you then want forgivness?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What if someone took their own life because they were in such despair and mental anguish, they could see no other way?
What if they weren't a Christian - or if they were, but didn't believe they were doing anything wrong?

I would guess that if a person is in a really bad state, the last thing they are capable of doing is deciding whether or not they are committing a sin. And if they are in hell in this life, they may not be too fussed about the next.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miss.enigma

Jan 10, 2010
Finland
✟15,161.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
What if someone took their own life because they were in such despair and mental anguish, they could see no other way?
What if they weren't a Christian - or if they were, but didn't believe they were doing anything wrong?

I would guess that if a person is in a really bad state, the last thing they are capable of doing is deciding whether or not they are committing a sin. And if they are in hell in this life, they may not be too fussed about the next.
I completely agree! I have actually been in that situation years ago, before I was rescued by Christ. And if someone had told me that I was going to hell, if I went through with it, I would have glanced at that person with empty eyes, shook my shoulders and said: "...So what? It cant be worse than this..." and I would have ment it.

Now, some people did come to me, but not threttening with hell, no, they said: "...but you have so much more to live for... Please dont do it...". Need I say, that didnt work either.

What I needed the most back then was love. Feel that someone actually wanted me here on earth. That was the only important thing for me. Not to be judged or converted... Just loved...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

noroses4u2c

Oct 8, 2009
KY
✟8,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For the Holy Spirit does not drive people. The Holy Spirit leads.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Mark 5:15 Then they came to Jesus, and saw the one who had been demon-possessed and had the legion, sitting and clothed and in his right mind.

right mind: To be of sound mind, sane, self-controlled, serious, moderate, sober-minded, restrained, disciplined, able to reason.

This is why suicide is not from God and has demonic roots. For suicide is an act of compulsion. God would never do that. God leads.

God sometimes doesn't give much option to suicide. I will soon have the choice of being permanently homeless and dying in the streets or suicide. I will be dead either way. I am not even allowed to have an income. The authorities God established over me (Romans 13) willfully bore false witness against me and fabricated documents to throw me off disability after my father in 2016 wrote a letter (while writing the letter as though my daughter wrote it) claiming that I was a fraud. During the investigation they couldn't find any real evidence, since I wasn't really committing fraud, so they made stuff up. Even though I presented evidence that the fraud investigators lied, the fact that I gathered evidence was deemed proof that I could work a job and the evidence was ignored. Their minds were already made up. Just like everything else in life, I never had a chance.

God has condemned me to be sloth since 2009 when I lost my last job. I prayed for a job in Jesus name many times. No job for me. Therefore, I never had the means to not be sloth. Not my fault. I have no chance to repent. I have spent over a decade being forced to live in a state of unrepentant sin. God created me too worthless to even have a minimum wage job. I have been rejected everywhere. All you can do is apply. I had to learn the hard way that I will always be denied.

It's a better death to fall asleep in ones bed and not wake up then to die in the streets. I have a place to live until the summer time. I won't know until then if I get another year or not. Eventually, they will decide to not give me more time and I will be permanently homeless. I have never used illicit drugs. I went to college and tried to make something of my life. Society never allowed me the opportunity for even basic employment. It is impossible for me to "take" a job if none is offered to me. Over eleven years since I was last allowed to have employment, and it was just a temp job at Walmart. Meanwhile, I get to watch as society goes out of its way to help drug junkies and criminals get a "second chance" and get a job. Where was my first chance? It was not my fault that God created me to be sick my whole life. I was born a blue baby and have stayed sick for decades. It just shows how worthless I was created to be when even junkies and criminals are worth more than I am.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟997,851.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Eternal damnation is a consequence of sin. I consider sin to be a transgression against God, or against someone else. The self is therefore of no relevance to that, and as far as I am concerned, Scripture passes no judgement on a person because of the manner of death. Whether suicide should ever be supported or encouraged is a separate discussion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My main question is: As a true Christian, if you commit suicide, are you given a one-way ticket to hell?

I've done quite a bit of online researching here and there. I've also asked my pastors at my church for their point of view. Of course, they all said "YOU GO TO HELL!" Based on basic knowledge of the scripture and the simple research I've done, I believe that if I were to kill myself at this moment, I would go into heaven. Committing suicide is an act of selfishness. Selfishness is a sin. A sin can be forgiven.

Please share some of your answers to this extremely controversial question. I really am curious, too curious for my own good.
Suicide is the murder of one of God's creations that we have no right exterminating. We are stealing from God when we destroy property that belongs to Him and people who commit suicide go where murderers go. Murder is a serious offense in the spirit world.

Upvote 0