suicide

knowing

Nov 2, 2009
✟7,615.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
My main question is: As a true Christian, if you commit suicide, are you given a one-way ticket to hell?

I've done quite a bit of online researching here and there. I've also asked my pastors at my church for their point of view. Of course, they all said "YOU GO TO HELL!" Based on basic knowledge of the scripture and the simple research I've done, I believe that if I were to kill myself at this moment, I would go into heaven. Committing suicide is an act of selfishness. Selfishness is a sin. A sin can be forgiven.

Please share some of your answers to this extremely controversial question. I really am curious, too curious for my own good.

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
My main question is: As a true Christian, if you commit suicide, are you given a one-way ticket to hell?

I've done quite a bit of online researching here and there. I've also asked my pastors at my church for their point of view. Of course, they all said "YOU GO TO HELL!" Based on basic knowledge of the scripture and the simple research I've done, I believe that if I were to kill myself at this moment, I would go into heaven. Committing suicide is an act of selfishness. Selfishness is a sin. A sin can be forgiven.

Please share some of your answers to this extremely controversial question. I really am curious, too curious for my own good.

Hi Knowing

The thing with suicide is that there are no guarantees. Let me explain. I know of people who have tried some pretty sure fire ways to commit suicide, and they failed. One has to remember that our Lord still has the ultimate say in our lives. If He doesn't want you to go, then He won't allow it. The problem is that a failed suicide attempt can indeed leave one maimed for life. We have to realise, that as children of the most high God, we all have a purpose in life. It's hard to grasp when we are at wits end, trust me, I know. But we must realise that all things happen for a purpose. Sometimes, we go through really hard times, but, quite often it prepares us to be there for someone else that needs support from someone who knows what it's like to be in that place.

And whether someone who commits suicide goes to heaven or not, that is not my place to judge - as only God sees our hearts in full detail. Me, I wouldn't take chances with eternity - I'd prefer to err on the side of safety...

If you'd like to chat some more, please PM me?

Upvote 0
F

freeport

No, there is no "one way ticket to hell". Believe what you can believe.

God is simply not that way.

You don't need people to tell you that.

I can introduce people to you who can tell you about the earth being flat. Doesn't make it true.

Upvote 0

spidergains

Aug 23, 2008
✟922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pop-culture has recently categorized death by suicide as a tragic consequence of mental illness. Suicide usually follows a prolonged period of depression (hopelessness).

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

Hope can be forgotten and faith misplaced, but true faith in Jesus Christ can NEVER be lost.

1 Peter 1:3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you, 5who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. 6In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.
1 peter 1 - PassageLookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com

In summary, suicide proves that one's faith was not genuine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bain_Adaneth
Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Nonsense!

All Christians, sadly, continue to sin after becoming Christians. Paul wrote about this struggle at length. Having "genuine" faith does not exempt any of us from this.

Upvote 0
F

freeport

By that same measure it would mean a true believer could never make mistakes and their faith would be one hundred percent perfect.

That has not been the case... in fact, many Christian luminaries have shown serious imperfections. And, of course, one can look back at some of the startling mistakes of even the patriarchs and see they were not perfect.

As awesome as David is, for instance, the guy engaged in some really serious sin, including putting a guy in the frontlines to murder him because he lusted after his wife.

Even if we stay away from sin and consistently handle extremely difficult challenges does not mean we are one hundred percent.

God continually calls us to go beyond where we are at.

The matters Paul noted which said "such a person is definitely not a Christian" were consistent behavioral flaws of an extreme nature.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
F

freeport

God would forgive you because you really dont know what you are doing.

God is always forgiving and merciful...

People have to see that. Consider Jonah and Nineveh. Nineveh was a pagan city of sin, and even though Jonah was clearly a highly talented believer... who saw what many prophets could not see... he did not have the heart to want to save them. God pointed out to everybody at the end of that book that God wants to save everyone and regards everyone.

God made everyone... every single person. Jesus on the cross said, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do".

People maybe are intrinsically evil, but on the other hand they do do the best they can with the information they have.

If that is not understood... how can we treat sinners compassionately?

God made them and gave some less true knowledge and some more. There is no boasting and no accusing. We can accuse on lack of faith -- only if we know that is useful to leading people to more faith.

Paul pointed out the Pharisees have "zeal apart from knowledge"... the very same Pharisees who put to death many Christians and led the murder of Jesus. Zeal for God. Not knowledge, not the right knowledge.

Elsewhere it is pointed out that "the world did not recognize Jesus" and nobody would have put Him to death if they knew who He was. That is not just from the perspective of Jesus being God in the flesh, but from the perspective that Jesus is the answer to all of their greatest hopes and dreams -- and genuinely seeks to lead them to that.

Upvote 0

childofGod31

May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

A sin is not covered by the blood of Jesus if it's willful. (If you know it's wrong and you are choosing to do it.)

HEB 10:26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

Besides, the act of killing yourself is REBELLING against God. He gives life and only He can take it away in HIS own time. If it's His will that you live then you have to live. You are going against the will of God when you yourself interrupt your life which God wants you to keep living. And Jesus said: NOT those who call me Lord will enter heaven but those who DO THE WILL of my Father. And you sure won't be doing the will of the Father if you kill yourself.

MAT 7:21 * "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

And also, this life is not in vain. God is using this life to prepare you for the next one. And if you didn't get through the "full training" "preparation" whatever it maybe, and you end it prematurely, you won't be ready to enter and therefore you won't be able to enter.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What negative stuff. So Jesus did not die for the sins of the world, only confessed undeliberate ones? But I read that Jesus was "the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world." Unrecognised sin makes it harder for me to participate in the life that Jesus gives us, not because He has turned away but because I just cannot see properly. That's what darkness does, it stops us from seeing properly. But God's life still shines in the darkness and that is never extinguished.

John
NZ

Upvote 0
F

freeport

As for Hebrews, I think it is very important to consider the following statement the author made.

Hebrews 6

9Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are confident of better things in your case—things that accompany salvation. 10God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. 11We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure. 12We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.
Now is the author really confident. Or not really.

Even though he speaks "like this".

We set the rules for ourselves... when we set the rules for others. If we start to set a standard of certain destruction for others, then we will find that we had better live up to that standard ourselves, or sooner or later, we will have to confront that standard against ourselves.

If a single "willful" sin is going to damn us forever... that is a huge standard to try and live up to.

And I really wonder what the real meaning of "willful" is there.

Thankfully, God is compassionate, even if we are not.

But that does not mean every lesson is easy to learn.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ditte

Sep 14, 2009
Hungary,Budapest
✟16,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope you don't want to commit suicide.God loves you and wants the best for you.Never forget that whatever happens.
About suicide.Suicide is sin.God said "Do not kill".That also means do not kill yourself.Jesus died for our sins,but that does not mean that we can sin,just as that.When recieve Jesus Christ as our saviour in our hearts and we become God's children,god forgives us our past sins and the original sin.Our inner self (our spirit) is born again,but our soul (mind) and flesh are thae same.So sometimes our mind and body tells otherwise than our "new man" who communicates with God and we sometimes sin.God gave the answer for that too.The salvation Jesus did on the cross for us is a perfect sacrifice.We are forgiven.But it does not mean that if we sin after we are christians,that it's OK.The Bible tells us "If we confess our sins,he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."(1John1,9.) If we sin after our salvation,we have the right to go to the heavenly father,who loves us,and if we confess our sins he forgives us,we don't have to make a sacrifice,because Jesus alredy did that for us on the cross.
The problem with suicide is that it is someone KILLING himself,and it is also FAITHLESSNESS.We must have faith in God and his only son.We must trust him.When someone commits suicide it does not come from faith.When someone kills himself/herself and dies,he/she can never again confess his/her sins to the father,not after death.There is no turning back after that.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.The Lord make his face to shine on you and have mercy on you.The Lord turn his face on you and give you PEACE.:wave:

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christians have a purpose to serve God by helping others and to turn athiests into Christians before there time is up. God has already prepared death for believers when the flesh can no longer resist the curse, so that means suicide is not necessary. God does not want us to go too early when our mission is to prevent sin from allowing Satan to become more powerful than God. Fortunately Satan knows that he will not rule the world because God knows our future.
:liturgy:
:cool:

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

No. You would go to wherever Jesus is, to be judged.

There are two main problems with suicide. The first is you take away yourself and your influence on the lives of others. God put you here for a reason, to glorify him in what you do. You take that away if you kill yourself.

The second is the messes you leave behind for others to clean up. Your parents and everyone who loves you will be devastated, it may destroy their lives for years and years to come. Even people you don't know you will pause and wonder why. Of course your life will stop and the girl who was meant for you will go to another. The place in God's glory your life had will be forfeit too. Don't think you won't have to answer for all that.

However, when someone kills themself all their problems are solved in an instant. Solved forever.

Upvote 0

AirForceTeacher

King of the Wicker People
Feb 23, 2004
The south
✟20,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nonsense!

All Christians, sadly, continue to sin after becoming Christians. Paul wrote about this struggle at length. Having "genuine" faith does not exempt any of us from this.

Agreed - "Lord, I believe - help thou my unbelief."

Upvote 0

spidergains

Aug 23, 2008
✟922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written:
‘ He shall give His angels charge over you,’
and,
‘ In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.'

Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the LORD your God." Matthew 4:5-7

Sin is a rejection of God's law.
Suicide is a rejection of God.
Jesus wasn't fooled; don't let the devil's advocates fool you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0