Sub-Zero Polar Vortex VS. Global Warming Theory

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
FACT CHECK: Did a 1977 'Time' Story Offer Tips on 'How to Survive the Coming Ice Age'?

1101070409_400.jpg

Have you ever tried posting something that is true?

You want something relevant, accurate, and true? You're just asking for a "moving goalposts" accusation, you know that, right?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟488,419.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, the respected peer reviewed science journal Time. You got us.
I always enjoy posts on modern internet forums implying that the peak of our understanding of the world around us happened during the Carter administration. Seems the internal contradiction of using newer technology to say newer findings are wrong would have been immediately obvious, but here it is anyway.

Edit - and, of course I should have guessed it would be fake. At some point the pattern is just too obvious to ignore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a perfect example of the parochial localism that many Conservatives suffer from. Most of the country isn't having very cold winters. Heck, even the Midwest wasn't having a very cold winter until the Vortex started moving.
Northern zGeorgia is considering referring to itself as South Carolina.

• Haha
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Since you seem to be ignoring the data. Have the overall winters in the US over the decades gotten warmer?
Not only will we not get an apology, the next time a climate change thread comes up, he'll post it again.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You cannot disprove global climate change, i.e. globally the earth is generally warming, by focusing on a small part of the globe, during a very small window of time.
The United States and Canada is not a small part of the globe.

Sub-Zero Polar Vortex.jpg

But global warming theory believers do exactly what you said. They point us to a particular iceberg in a particular part of the world and show us it is melting, and they say it proves global warming. But we've had extreme cold for many Winters across the globe which disproves global warming theory.
And, I might add, colder winters are consistent with climate change in which the earth is generally warming.
The climate has always been changing. So it doesn't prove global warming theory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟138,722.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's the winter, let's create a thread saying it's cold in the winter!

Despite the continued lie that climate change has not resulted in warmer winters, facts say otherwise:
https://www.weather.gov/dlh/Winter-2018-2019-Outlook
2017-2018-Temp.png

2017-2018-Precip.png

How long will you continue to ignore the data because on a given day it's cold?

Once upon a time I did a lot of research on historical precip/ temperature patterns in the US and I need to point out that there is so much year-to-year variation in precipitation that a single season deviation from long run average in precipitation... is basically useless to get a sense of the trend in precipitation.

Whereas the temperature deviations from year-to-year are not as extreme, world wide... you can actually get a sense of global warming just looking at a single season's deviation from mid century average.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Once upon a time I did a lot of research on historical precip/ temperature patterns in the US and I need to point out that there is so much year-to-year variation in precipitation that a single season deviation from long run average in precipitation... is basically useless to get a sense of the trend in precipitation.

Whereas the temperature deviations from year-to-year are not as extreme, world wide... you can actually get a sense of global warming just looking at a single season's deviation from mid century average.
I think global warming theory is based on cherry picked or made up data since the data doesn't match what everyone can see and experience in real life.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's not Global Warming any more - it has changed to Climate Change. This is so no matter the temperature, it's a Climate Change issue.

As has been noted the change to global climate change is to be more technically accurate.

Here's something you may not know but it's a great way to understand local variation in the light of global warming:

The global AVERAGE temperature is increasing. It is causing the Greenland Ice Sheet to melt pumping vast amounts of FRESH water into the North Atlantic, and into what is called the "Thermohaline Circulation" (part of which is the Gulf Stream) which pumps warm water into the higher lattitudes.

Now part of that circulation is driven by water density and the difference in density between salt and fresh water is enough that it could very well either SHUT DOWN or otherwise REORGANIZE the Thermohaline circulation in the North Atlantic. (There's evidence that this has happened before in the geologic record).

This would cause temperatures in western Europe to plunge. Why? Because large parts of temperate western Europe are at TOO HIGH A LATITUDE for the temperatures they experience. They are "warmed" by the heat brought up from the low lattitudes by the Thermohaline Circulation.

That would mean that Europe would get COOLER while the average global temperature INCREASES.

Does that make sense? (And that's just one example. There are others, like global warming causing an increase in Himalayan snow due to changes in temperatures around the Mediterranean).

In other words the ONLY people who are "surprised" by extremes of cooling LOCALLY while the globe is warming are people who don't know the science.

Here's a discussion of Broeker's talk on thermohaline circulation reogranization:

Could Climate Change Shut Down the Gulf Stream?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The United States and Canada is not a small part of the globe.

Actually it is. The Mercator projection make the U.S. and Canada look much bigger than they actually are. The continental U.S. barely takes up 1/4 of Africa in a proper perspective.
19 Maps That Will Help You Put The United States In Perspective

But global warming theory believers do exactly what you said. They point us to a particular iceberg in a particular part of the world and show us it is melting, and they say it proves global warming.

Leaving aside the fact that science doesn't deal in proof, this is a falsehood. No single "iceberg" (you meant glacier) is conclusive evidence for Global Warming. Polar ice loss is a symptom of Global Warming as are numerous other consilient observations.

But we've had extreme cold for many Winters across the globe which disproves global warming theory.

No "we" haven't. Winters in general have become more mild even in the continental U.S. The Midwest and Northeast just got a few visits from the Polar Vortex which is being disloged by the loss of polar ice due to Global Warming. The irony is Akaska gets almost balmy when the PV moves out of place.

The climate has always been changing. So it doesn't prove global warming theory.

This is a childishly naive comment. The pace of change is unprecedented and there is only one observable cause - the massive increase in atmospheric anthropogenic CO2.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think global warming theory is based on cherry picked or made up data since the data doesn't match what everyone can see and experience in real life.

And you'd be wrong. I speak as one who has worked as research scientist most of my life. While I am not a climatologist I have actually worked briefly at one of the major oceanographic research facilities that does some of this research. And of course, being a research chemist with a PhD in geochemistry, I have had the opportunity to READ a lot of the actual SCIENCE (not just the blogs online). And, well, let's just say that the data is pretty solid and no one is trying to bamboozle you.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟266,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged

You’re wrong. Just because you ate today doesn’t mean no one else went hungry. Just because it is cold where you are today (it didn’t get warmer than -10 where I was today) doesn’t mean it wasn’t record breaking heat in Australia or that 3 weeks ago the Midwest was having one of the warmest winters on record. Weather is the trees and climate is the forest. You are failing to see the forest because you are gripping onto one tree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The global AVERAGE temperature is increasing.

Also worth pointing out that the global average temperature is 57°F. Thats just 25° above freezing. Globally, on a year long basis, the earth is a chilly planet.

Reactions: GlabrousDory4
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think global warming theory

You keep using that word.

is based on cherry picked or made up data since the data doesn't match what everyone can see and experience in real life.

And we keep explaining to you that "the weather in January where you live" does not equal global climate. It's like saying because you have a job unemployment doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟138,722.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

"Experience in real life."

I'm a scientist. Not being able to "experience in real life" a phenomena has no bearing whatsoever on its existence. It's a pedestrian and uneducated opinion to limit one's worldview to personal experience and anecdotes.

Upvote 0