• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

struggling again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenForHim

Oct 15, 2006
In a box
Visit site
✟8,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
so I started cutting when I was 10..its been something I have run to everytime I was mad at the world or myself...up until nov.8th I hadn't cut for nine months, I never thought I would last that long...a friend of mine helped me stop..but he passed away in sept. I feel so alone without his encouragement...I want to break my nine month record...I just need all the support && encouragement I can get...because I don't have it in my life anymore...(the people that could help don't understand or know I'm struggling again...so I guess they can't really help...)

anteloperunner

Oct 15, 2006
Indiana
✟15,509.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Broken- I unfortunently know what it is like to lose the person that helped me stop SIing. I am not sure if this will help you or not but I found that wearing or keeping something with me that reminds me of that person and the encouragement they offered is sometimes enough to keep me from SIing or atleast reduce the frequency. It can be a small item for me it is a guitar pick which another friend turned into a necklace for me.

It is always hard when people around you don't support you, I hope and pray that you will find someone in your life to support and encourage you.

Upvote 0

BrokenForHim

Oct 15, 2006
In a box
Visit site
✟8,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well Tyson would talk me out of it..when he died I would always tell myself the last things he said to me "To give up on yourself, is to give up on those who care." ...but its been really hard...I also would talk with my youth pastors wife, but she has told me that I can't keep going to her when I need help...that I have to rely on God to keep me going...I used to write..but I haven't for a while...

Upvote 0

cinnabunch

Jun 21, 2006
Maryland
Visit site
✟544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here are ways that I've read help when the urge is strong

holding a piece of ice and conentrating on the feel in your hand

snapping a rubberband

using a watercolor washable red marker on your skin

I'll have to look up some other ways, but I remember those off hand.

I havn't had a recurring problem with SI, but there was a time where I had a struggle with it. I have medium length nails and I would clench my fist as tight as I possibly could, the pinch I felt kept me from doing anything else.

Hope this is helpful

cindy

Upvote 0

LazeyWinde

Blue Girl in a Spacey Haze
Nov 17, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
✟16,127.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
*hugs* Hang in there Broken. You always have someone around here to talk to when you need it. And lots of prayers are being said for you.

For me distraction is my best coping skill. Read a good book or watching a movie... prefably books and movies that aren't violent. And avoiding my triggers when I can.

Upvote 0

HolyOne87

Call Me A Sinner, Call Me A Saint..
Jun 2, 2006
✟18,539.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
aww i am so sorry to hear about your friend.
You got all the support in the world from me. I pray for nothing but the best..I hope you break your record and go longer..to the point where you can finally stop completely. It is a hard journey, but stopping isn't impossible to reach.
I will be praying for you!

*many hugs*

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.