Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not interested in "power evangelism". I'm interested in Biblical evangelism.

Interesting that you completely ignored the list of scriptures I provided that show that evangelism is preaching the Gospel, not doing signs and wonders.

A witness is called to testify to what he\she has seen, heard, felt. It *is* rather subjective, but that is the very definition of witness. Spouting someone else's words is hearsay ^_^

The Gospel is the GOOD NEWS! S&W are evidence of the Good News and are spoken of in the same breath as preach the good news!

Mark 16:15-18
15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A witness is called to testify to what he\she has seen, heard, felt. It *is* rather subjective, but that is the very definition of witness. Spouting someone else's words is hearsay

That doesn't change the fact that every one of you has ignored the scriptures I provided.

The Gospel is the GOOD NEWS! S&W are evidence of the Good News and are spoken of in the same breath as preach the good news!

And I've already explained this a couple of times.

I'll just leave you to the list of scriptures I've already provided that you all insist on ignoring.

Upvote 0

merryheart

bookworm nerdgirl
Mar 1, 2004
Oregon, USA
✟13,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That doesn't change the fact that every one of you has ignored the scriptures I provided.

And I've already explained this a couple of times.

I'll just leave you to the list of scriptures I've already provided that you all insist on ignoring.

Most of what I have seen of your posting sounds like anger and sarcasm with a strong dose of I-am-the-only-one-who-knows-right. I had to go back quite a ways to find any scriptures listed - and then they were given as a reference, with your own sarcastic words for explanation. I usually skip over that kind of posting - it is not very edifying.

As to signs and wonders... we are to witness to the Good News! The Gospel is the Good News that we are Saved by Jesus Sacrifice. S&W follow, because they are a symbol of that salvation. They are an immediate fruit of the preaching of the Good News!

perhaps there are so many more in third world countries because the people there are so much more open to the spiritual than we in the west are. My bro-in-law went to Africa and prayed for people there and saw *amazing* healings. A man who was completely paralyzed on one side restored right before his eyes, and a child born deaf had his ears opened and began to parrot words his mother spoke. My BIL was directly involved in those healings, having been used by our Lord to be His hands in that service. In another instance that same week, another paralytic came to my BIL for prayer after being told of the first. She wouldn't let anyone else pray for her, but insisted that he would do it. God did not heal her.

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fact is we preach the cross as the way unto salvation but we demonstrate the Kingdom and power through signs and wonders and the testimony of what happened in the opening post is wonderful

You do? So then, are all of those verses I posted wrong?

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of what I have seen of your posting sounds like anger and sarcasm with a strong dose of I-am-the-only-one-who-knows-right. I had to go back quite a ways to find any scriptures listed - and then they were given as a reference, with your own sarcastic words for explanation. I usually skip over that kind of posting - it is not very edifying.

I'll bet. I can certainly see why you'd want to skip over scripture that doesn't support your views.

As to signs and wonders... we are to witness to the Good News! The Gospel is the Good News that we are Saved by Jesus Sacrifice. S&W follow, because they are a symbol of that salvation. They are an immediate fruit of the preaching of the Good News!

What verse is that?

Upvote 0

merryheart

bookworm nerdgirl
Mar 1, 2004
Oregon, USA
✟13,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll bet. I can certainly see why you'd want to skip over scripture that doesn't support your views.

What verse is that?

I didn't skip over any scripture, just your post. Do you *not* believe that signs and wonders follow the preaching of the Gospel? Do you consider yourself a Charismatic?

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't skip over any scripture just your post.

...which contained scripture you didn't like.

Do you *not* believe that signs and wonders follow the preaching of the Gospel?

Not in the sense that you do, no. I do, however, believe the Bible and the verses I cited that you ignored, which don't say anything about signs and wonders being a part of evangelism.

Do you consider yourself a Charismatic?

Why do you think my answer would change since the last two times I was asked that in this thread?

Upvote 0

merryheart

bookworm nerdgirl
Mar 1, 2004
Oregon, USA
✟13,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
...which contained scripture you didn't like.

Not in the sense that you do, no. I do, however, believe the Bible and the verses I cited that you ignored, which don't say anything about signs and wonders being a part of evangelism.

Why do you think my answer would change since the last two times I was asked that in this thread?

Hey buddy - I LOVE the scriptures. I make my best attempt to view them in their entirety and in their intent. I believe that the Holy Spirit will help me divide how they apply to any particular situation. I believe that the Bible is very clear on the fact that healings and other signs are what follows when you pray for His kingdom to prevail.
Jesus said people with faith in Him would do the works He did - and even greater works!

John 14:10-21
“Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. "If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

Acts 1:8

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

1 Corinthians 2:1-5
“When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.”

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that the Bible is very clear on the fact that healings and other signs are what follows when you pray for His kingdom to prevail.

Fine. However, we're talking specifically about evangelism.

Of the three verses you listed, none of them had anything to do with evangelism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

merryheart

bookworm nerdgirl
Mar 1, 2004
Oregon, USA
✟13,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Fine. However, we're talking specifically about evangelism.

Of the three verses you listed, none of them had anything to do with evangelism.

Actually, the original topic of this thread is a terrific example of a powerful sign. I am not sure why we are arguing about when we might expect to see them. Mark 16 clearly shows S&W in the context of evangelism, but IMO, that is not the only time we can expect to see them.

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the original topic of this thread is a terrific example of a powerful sign. I am not sure why we are arguing about when we might expect to see them. Mark 16 clearly shows S&W in the context of evangelism, but IMO, that is not the only time we can expect to see them.

And I've already explained a couple of times why that passage is not the normative Biblical model for evangelism.

Now, would you please address the verses I cited, which show us that evangelism means preaching the Gospel, not performing signs and wonders?

Upvote 0

merryheart

bookworm nerdgirl
Mar 1, 2004
Oregon, USA
✟13,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And I've already explained a couple of times why that passage is not the normative Biblical model for evangelism.

Now, would you please address the verses I cited, which show us that evangelism means preaching the Gospel, not performing signs and wonders?

Evangelism means preaching the Good News. We are in agreement there. We may not agree on what the Good News is, though, because to me, it is salvation.

S&W are evidence of God's Kingdom, His mercy, His presence, His power to save.

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Evangelism means preaching the Good News. We are in agreement there. We may not agree on what the Good News is, though, because to me, it is salvation.

S&W are evidence of God's Kingdom, His mercy, His presence, His power to save.

You're still ignoring the verses I cited that show that evangelism is preaching the Gospel, not doing signs and wonders.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

merryheart

bookworm nerdgirl
Mar 1, 2004
Oregon, USA
✟13,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So you're now saying that you do agree with those verses when they show us a Bibilcal model for evangelism that involves preaching the Gospel and not doing signs and wonders?

I believe that signs and wonders FOLLOW evangelism. Evangelism is not signs and wonders, they come after for a sign.

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that signs and wonders FOLLOW evangelism. Evangelism is not signs and wonders, they come after for a sign.

OK. Would you please address the verses I cited that show that evangelism doesn't have anything to do with signs and wonders?

Upvote 0

merryheart

bookworm nerdgirl
Mar 1, 2004
Oregon, USA
✟13,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
OK. Would you please address the verses I cited that show that evangelism doesn't have anything to do with signs and wonders?

None of those verses preclude signs and wonders.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You're still ignoring the verses I cited that show that evangelism is preaching the Gospel, not doing signs and wonders.

Not normative? Read the Acts of the Apostles. Everywhere they went, preaching the word of God, miracles followed. Miraculous signs and occurences brought many people to belief in Christ.

Shipwrecks that everyone survives
Poisonous snakes don't kill
Teleporting
Casting out demons
Healing the sick, lame, blind, deaf and diseased
Earthquakes that break them out of prison
Stonings that don't kill them
Demonstrations of power - including inflictions of blindness
Raising the dead

And many more.

What were the apostles doing all throughout the book of Acts? They were ALL evangelizing ALL the time. And signs and wonders often convinced people that God is real and powerful and able to save.

Evangelism and signs and wonders go hand in hand.

Reactions: DianeL
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.