St. Euphrosynos Taverna and Ouzeri 44 (6)

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reminds me of a family member - and other friends of theirs - who were homeless by choice. Or ... maybe better to say alternate homes? Some had tents. One built a houseboat. But at least they had belongings and were able to prepare food, etc. Just no bills, nothing to tie them to a place. No protection either though - their things were sometimes stolen when they left their "homes".

But I know there are sadder cases where people choose something even less stable often for reasons of various kinds that enslave them even more.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just noticed that Michie is creating all new threads with "Catholic Forum:" at the beginning of the thread title. I guess that is one way of heading off people who jump into threads from the home page. ^_^

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just noticed that Michie is creating all new threads with "Catholic Forum:" at the beginning of the thread title. I guess that is one way of heading off people who jump into threads from the home page. ^_^

Yup, just look for the two, or three, in the new thread list that WON'T start that way! :D

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I've been taking Greek classes at our parish.
We're about 6-8 wks in..
My teacher decided I needed a little remedial assistance..
IMG_20180129_093456.jpg IMG_20180129_093433.jpg

- actually, I suggested it in a semi-joking manner.. since I'm starting from 'scratch' that learning how to shape the letters like a 1st Grader would actually be helpful.
My teacher found this workbook in her kids things and gave it to me - and I am the better for it.
:)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've been taking Greek classes at our parish.
We're about 6-8 wks in..
My teacher decided I needed a little remedial assistance..
View attachment 219242 View attachment 219243

- actually, I suggested it in a semi-joking manner.. since I'm starting from 'scratch' that learning how to shape the letters like a 1st Grader would actually be helpful.
My teacher found this workbook in her kids things and gave it to me - and I am the better for it.
:)
I'd actually LOVE a primer on writing Greek letters! I learned by reading standard type, so my first year in choir at the festival they handed me a book with the words handwritten in Greek - I honestly couldn't read most of it. My writing is tedious because I try to copy the type. I'm a little bit along in making the essential forms more quickly but honestly, I could use a beginning writing course like that. Consider yourself blessed! :)

PS it also makes decoding the Greek on icons a chore for me, especially when they use that Byzantine shorthand. Sometimes I can't figure it out.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,063.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
OH BOY - I know the feeling about the difference in 'printed' and handwritten language.

I have struggled and struggled with Ukrainian [ in cyrillic] and cannot really cope with the handwritten stuff. I got to the state when given handwritten stuff that my eyes , I'm sure, just glazed over and I usually commented - 'sorry - can't read this'

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
OH BOY - I know the feeling about the difference in 'printed' and handwritten language.

I have struggled and struggled with Ukrainian [ in cyrillic] and cannot really cope with the handwritten stuff. I got to the state when given handwritten stuff that my eyes , I'm sure, just glazed over and I usually commented - 'sorry - can't read this'
I guess it's not so strange then. When I think of it, English is probably as bad or worse. Most people make lowercase a's and g's nothing like the type (except my font here shows g just like the handwritten one - and I never even noticed, lol). Which I guess goes to show we can get so used to one way, it's second nature, but a new form is so difficult.

I learned the Japanese alphabet years ago in studying Japanese. Funny, but I don't recall much difficulty with handwritten letters at all. But then I think first they are simpler and more distinct, and second it may be that Japanese tend to be more precise in things like that. At least if it's made for someone else.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Something weird happened to my account, and I suddenly was unable to post here for several days. Thankfully it's been fixed!
Glad you are back!

If you have problems in future (or if anyone else does), if a pm works, you can pm myself (or one of the other Senior Ambassadors) to get help for you. Or if you can't contact through here at all, I'm wondering if we are connected on FB?

Any way we can help. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We are connected on fb and I thought about sending a PM but the folks here were able to fix it in a couple of days, once I put in a ticket.
Ah I'm glad you were able to get in a ticket. It seems people have different levels of access with various glitches. Thankfully they are rare. :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
An early Saturday morning treat to/for myself.
Two soft boiled eggs with freshly cracked black pepper and aged asagio, paired with black coffee.
Simple contents but requiring attention to detail in preparation.
Could there be a lesson in the faith there? :confused:
softboiledeggsandcoffee.png

Good morning!

I have a prayer request:
Since 1984 I have had health insurance through my various employers. The enrollment forms came this week and my heart sank. The deductible is going up another 2 grand, making it $12,000 out of pocket before they kick in a penny. The premium is also going up an additional 15~ per week. It was already about $150 per week.
I'm doing the math in my head and I just don't see the good sense anymore as it applies to my household expenses/budget. A catastrophic event would bankrupt us with the deductible alone (my accounts were depleted with a double whammy of the recession/crash and my wife's traumatic brain injury in 2009/10) anyway.
I'm already paying out-of-pocket for office visits and anytime someone gets sick or falls.. because it's "covered but applied to deductible".
$600+ per month is a lot to pay for insurance that doesn't pay for anything, coupled with a wipe-out deductible if something terrible were to happen.

Anyway, I will be talking to my wife's physician Monday, to determine how they treat uninsured patients, if at all. Then reevaluating. My wife has Medicare Part A already due to being on Social Security disability.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And FWIW, while my treatments have been covered due to the circumstances of my cancer diagnosis, the coverage will end and since I've been essentially out of work for almost 2 years I won't be able to afford anything. Many of my doctors, labs, treatment facilities have said that if I have no coverage, their rate for uninsured is a 50-80% discount.

Our medical system strikes me as a huge racket in there somewhere, with the insurance companies.

Upvote 0