Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I heard that the Saints believe taking care of the body is vanity and they were themselves people who have bad physical. Is practicing sports and exercise a sin then?
Considering scripture says to take care of the body, I don’t consider them to be a sin. I’m guessing that the saints were referencing focusing on caring for the body at the expense of spiritual care. In and of itself, taking care of oneself is good. Taking your focus off God in order to do that, however, is not. For example, don’t skip your prayer time or church to go to the gym. If you can do both, then that’s good, but if you can only do one, prayer takes priority.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Fathers concentrated mostly on two aspects concerning the physical condition of the body. Gluttony and Vanity. Vanity included adornment of the body with jewelery, perfumes, cosmetics and other fashions as the Fathers always taught modesty. Nothing wrong with excercizing or playing sports although it can lead to vanity:

"When heavy with over-eating, the body makes the intellect spiritless and sluggish; likewise, when weakened by excessive abstinence, the body makes the contemplative faculty of the soul dejected and disinclined to concentrate. We should therefore regulate our food according to the condition of the body, so that it is appropriately disciplined when in good health and adequately nourished when weak. The body of one pursuing the spiritual way must not be enfeebled; he must have enough strength for his labors, so that the soul may be suitably purified through bodily exertion as well. St. Diadochos of Photiki (On Spiritual Knowledge no. 45)

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Ahermit

May 10, 2015
✟48,465.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Remember that we have a body, but we are not the body. Remain a no-body instead of a some-body.

I am a 65 y.o. racing cyclist who is sponsored by a local bicycle shop owner. Everybody who knows me knows I give all the glory to God most High. During and after every ride, I thank God for the courage, endurance, and focus on performing the best I can; never worrying about results. At the end of the ride, I always thank God for the experience of using the body as a vehicle of expressing my faith in being true from innermost to outermost of being human.

In return, I am always amazed how I performed, even if I finished last. Each race is filled with new lessons and revelations. I am sure God's angels 'inspire' (in-spirit) me.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I heard that the Saints believe taking care of the body is vanity and they were themselves people who have bad physical. Is practicing sports and exercise a sin then?
All believers who ever lived are saints and equal believer priests, so you will have to be more specific.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think anyone who takes selfies of themselves half naked with vanity and pride and self-absorption posting them on Instagram and such are sinning. These celebrities are self-infatuated and it’s not only nauseating but sinful.

meanwhile you have guys like Troy Polamalu who won two super bowls and went to 8 pro bowls. He’s tough, built, athletic... AND ORTHODOX. He prayed on the bench/sidelines, publicly shared his faith and was kind and a good role model. Athleticism and caring about conditioning and training aren’t sinful. What you do with the results can be.

If a bit of pride and occasion excessive self-love is the result of losing 25 lbs, should we instead say fat, get diabetes, and go in and out of hospitals? Should we avoid the gym and turn into Lizzo with our guts bulging as we huff and puff up stairs to stay humble? Nonsense. Lose weight, exercise, pray, and be humble.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
All believers who ever lived are saints and equal believer priests, so you will have to be more specific.
Please take note of the forum in which you are posting. You may post in fellowship and ask questions.
If you wish to debate what the Orthodox Church teaches regarding Saints and the priesthood of believers you may do so in the St Justin Martyr subforum.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

just FYI, but as this is the Orthodox forum, we have a very specific meaning when we say "Saint" (as opposed to "saint").

Upvote 0