Spin off- do you tip for to-go food you pick up?

willard3

Professional accomplice
Dec 18, 2005
✟10,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No. I've never tipped for to-go. The reason you tip is for the table service, including waiting and dishes. If I'm not getting any of that, why should I pay more?

If there's a tip jar, I might put a buck in there...maybe.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No, I don't generally tip for take-out.

I did tip $1 the last time I got the curb-side takeaway at Outback. But that's because it was like the very first time anyone had used the online ordering feature and their computer was slow to deliver the order to them. So I had to wait half an hour to get my food, but the waitress was so friendly - she offered to bring me a drink while I waited and just did a very good job of handling the situation. So I gave her a small token of appreciation.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't feel comfortable at those small mom and pop restaurants where they have a tip jar for takeout or counter service. Something about it just doesn't feel right. Sometimes they give bad service if you don't tip up front. That just doesn't feel right so I avoid going back. I'd rather they just raise their prices and don't play that game.

Upvote 0

CoachR64

Awesome, with a side order of amazing
Jul 2, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
✟25,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The only place I do a lot of take out from ($4.99 enchilada dinner Wednesday!!!!) has a sign that says tips not accepted on carry out. Which I think is pretty cool, because they are not having to offer you near the same service as they do sitting in the place. Plus, on Wednesdays, the place is so packed I think they appreciate the take out orders because it keeps the line down to eat in. I tried to tip them a few times, cause they treat me awesome, but they would never let me.

Coach

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi all, after reading the pizza delivery thread, it got me thinking. If you order food at a restraunt to-go and pick it up youself do you tip for that? If they have a tip jar there, do you feel more obligated to tip? thoughts....
I tip. The hostesses at my restaurant put up with enough crap so I can only imagine what other hosts at other restaurants put up with.

Although when I go to Starbucks and I don't feel like carrying loose change in my pocket I'll typically dump the change in their tip jar.

Upvote 0
Q

Quoth

Hi all, after reading the pizza delivery thread, it got me thinking. If you order food at a restraunt to-go and pick it up youself do you tip for that? If they have a tip jar there, do you feel more obligated to tip? thoughts....

If someone goes outside of their job description in a typically "non-tip" job, I offer a tip. If I order take-out and come to pick it up myself, I will tip if the person offers to help me carry several bags to the car, or if they throw in a few extra items (i.e., egg rolls) or something like that.

I have been in various customer service jobs since 1999, and I know what it's like to receive tips. Sometimes I'll offer a tip to a cashier that is obviously doing the best they can under extreme circumstances. However, in "non-tip" industries, I usually just ask to speak to the manager and give the employee kudos right there in front of their manager. That usually goes further than a tip that their manager will never hear about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums