United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Soooooo, how about it?!

I've been reflecting on it a bit myself, and realized this is my 10th Lent, 9th since confirmation, and every year I've found excuses to not give up something difficult. I've largely gone the route of adding a practice or something instead.

But for me I think I'm copping out. I'm still trying to figure out what I should give up, because I'm afraid it'll turnout like a New Years resolution and if I commit to something too "big" I'll go back on it. I've considered giving up social media, my cell phone (not possible for obvious reasons), fast food, or something along those lines. I don't know though.

My wife wants to add in more time in adoration and going to all of our parish's Stations of the Cross, so I'll surely do those things with her, or at least Stations.

What about you guys? What are you planning with Ash Wednesday about eight days away?

Reactions: RileyG

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Listening to [beatified by Pope John Paul II.] Anne Catherine Emmerich, I do not think I give up enough of whatever...

If you really want a good ole humbling, read about a life of anyone beatified, blessed or canonized.
Then work accordingly to imitate.
...That said, so much self work must be done.

I am going to try to not grumble about my fasting this year. :oldthumbsup:
etc etc etc

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Soooooo, how about it?!

I've been reflecting on it a bit myself, and realized this is my 10th Lent, 9th since confirmation, and every year I've found excuses to not give up something difficult. I've largely gone the route of adding a practice or something instead.

But for me I think I'm copping out. I'm still trying to figure out what I should give up, because I'm afraid it'll turnout like a New Years resolution and if I commit to something too "big" I'll go back on it. I've considered giving up social media, my cell phone (not possible for obvious reasons), fast food, or something along those lines. I don't know though.

My wife wants to add in more time in adoration and going to all of our parish's Stations of the Cross, so I'll surely do those things with her, or at least Stations.

What about you guys? What are you planning with Ash Wednesday about eight days away?
Your wife’s idea seems like a good one. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree! She always has solid and practical ideas.
I find it easier to do more in her line of thinking than to concentrate on what it is I am going to give up which usually leads to frustration and disappointment. Whatever we do during Lent, may it benefit and hopefully turn into a habit. :praying:

• Prayers
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I find it easier to do more in her line of thinking than to concentrate on what it is I am going to give up which usually leads to frustration and disappointment. Whatever we do during Lent, may it benefit and hopefully turn into a habit. :praying:
It's true. I did Exodus 90 two years ago with some friends which did involve abstaining from a lot of things and taking on extra penance, but I felt like none of that brought me closer to God and it certainly didn't give my mind clearer focus on the purpose of Lent. Honestly I think I started cheating at some point and doing whatever it was I gave up. Granted, E90 is extreme cause it's like twice as long as Lent, but I never wanted to do it in the first place, I just did it as a male bonding experience.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's true. I did Exodus 90 two years ago with some friends which did involve abstaining from a lot of things and taking on extra penance, but I felt like none of that brought me closer to God and it certainly didn't give my mind clearer focus on the purpose of Lent. Honestly I think I started cheating at some point and doing whatever it was I gave up. Granted, E90 is extreme cause it's like twice as long as Lent, but I never wanted to do it in the first place, I just did it as a male bonding experience.
Yeah that does sound extreme. And you are right that it often does not make one feel closer to the Lord. It often makes people feel like a failure or makes them think of God as a task master. I realize many people feel called to that sort of thing and that’s fine. But others get more out of simply doing more. I like reading something that inspires me. Maybe volunteering more. Going to the Stations as your wife suggested. Etc. seeking His face in those activities and in the faces of others. I think the key is really doing what one feels called to do during Lent along with the instruction of the Church concerning fasts. The whole point in my opinion is doing things that will stick and benefit you and others spiritually that can become a permanent thing all year if possible.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I was thinking of reading as much of the Old Testament as I can. I just finished the New Testament (Latin Vulgate). I don't think I'll read the Old Testament in that translation, but am going to try to read nightly.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Soooooo, how about it?!

I think I’m going to pray the rosary daily. Maybe get back into the habit of going to Adoration again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is it a mortal sin not to give up something? It's not that I don't agree with doing it, it's just that I didn't realize how close Lent was and I forgot to think far ahead of time.
I hope it's not a mortal sin because that's basically how I've done Lent for the past six years. I don't think it is, a lot of people choose to take on a practice or discipline rather than give something up; addition not substraction.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I hope it's not a mortal sin because that's basically how I've done Lent for the past six years. I don't think it is, a lot of people choose to take on a practice or discipline rather than give something up; addition not substraction.
Addition of something might help one get distracted from what they're trying or don't want to subtract, lol.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Addition of something might help one get distracted from what they're trying or don't want to subtract, lol.
That's true, you could do both. I think a lot of people do that actually, like if you're giving up chocolate for Lent (for example), then every time you crave chocolate maybe you also read some scripture or pray a rosary.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am giving up all forms of processed sugar and carbohydrates.

I'm even starting a little early.....this morning, my brunch consisted of a can of corned beef, sans bread and condiments. (It actually reminded me quite a bit of those cans of spiced beef we used to get in C-ration B-1 units in the military.....they both look and smell like Alpo, but they tasted pretty good. :) )

• Haha
Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums