✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yes, they are moral commands

Just to clarify, you think the order to murder non-believers and burn / destroy their entirety of the towns they live in, is a moral command?

What you presented was specific to Israel's circumstances of the day :wave:

No it wasn't, the law is forever. Even Jesus himself affirmed that. It's still applicable today.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
By whatever process He chose. As Creator, He has that prerogative

Ultimate authority is preeminent because without it, there cannot exist a standard for morality

You're not answering the question, I'm asking what process did he choose, and why?

How did he make the decision that he did? The operative word is how.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just to clarify, you think the order to murder non-believers and burn / destroy their entirety of the towns they live in, is a moral command?
Again, based on a superficial understanding you've misconstrued events

No it wasn't, the law is forever. Even Jesus himself affirmed that. It's still applicable today.
The law is forever but the events you portrayed were not applicable in all circumstances

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You are declaring victory? Of course it was the right thing to do. And as others have said you are being disingenuous by claiming their offer of help was based on anonymity. It wasn't. The definition of anonymity includes the term lack of distinctiveness. They wanted to be distinct when they asked to wear shirts proclaiming their atheism.

When did I claim victory? I asked that question to reignite the OP, so the thread didn't get closed down for going off topic.

And again, it was made clear that wearing the shirts was not a requirement, and they offered to work without showing any sign of distinctiveness. They were still turned away. Their goal was charity, the goal of the church was not.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're not answering the question, I'm asking what process did he choose, and why?

How did he make the decision that he did? The operative word is how.
He chose by His own will for His own purposes

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Whether I, or anyone else, is right is irrelevant. God remains the Ultimate Authority without which there can be no standard for morality

And that's demonstrable nonsense. Simply repeating it doesn't make you right.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Again, based on a superficial understanding you've misconstrued events

The laws are very cut and dry, there's no superficial understanding. It says kill those that don't believe or try to turn you against your god. There is no context that makes that moral.

The law is forever but the events you portrayed were not applicable in all circumstances

Give me a line of scripture which specifically negates those laws in specific circumstances.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
He chose by His own will for His own purposes

Wow... If you don't know how, just say you don't know how.

Choosing "by your own will" is not a how answer, that's a description of the end product. I'm asking how you came to your conclusion.

For example, did he just make up random rules on the fly, did he use logic and reason to determine what's moral and what isn't, or did he use another method to determine his will?

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I said nothing of Ayn Rand

Not directly, no, but you were espousing the same philosophies she championed.

The Atheists asked if they could wear their T-Shirts, the Christians said no. The Atheists said that was fine, and still wanted to help and were still rejected by the Christians.

Indeed. In fact, it would have been overall better for the ministry's own evangelism goals to accept them.

If they had said "okay, you can help, but you can't wear your t-shirts, you can't try to convert people to atheism, and you can't try to undermine our attempts to evangelize", and they said okay, then they would have more people serving the food, and thus more people coming in for it, and more people to evangelize to. If the atheists went back on their agreement and tried to break any of the conditions, it would make them look bad.

Instead, by rejecting their offer, the atheist group instead set up their own operation to feed the poor, where I presume they wore their tshirts and told people about their cause, not only being a rival to the Christian soup kitchen but spreading their beliefs, which they wouldn't have been doing if they were allowed to help. And on top of that, the Christian rejecting them made them look bad.

Overall the decision to reject them was a bad idea and ended up worse for them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not directly, no, but you were espousing the same philosophies she championed.
The philosophy I have championed here is that atheists have no standard for morality and that they should indeed be excluded from a Christian ministry. When did the atheist Ayn Rand champion those philosophies?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Funny, you were talking about it for a good few pages. Now that you can't answer the question it's suddenly "off topic".
it's irrelevant that other s may believe in a false god as to whether or not God is the ultimate authority.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The philosophy I have championed here is that atheists have no standard for morality

Which you still haven't backed up with anything, nor addressed the standard that Atheists have described to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.