Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Soup Kitchen Invites Everyone to Volunteer… Unless You’re an Atheist | Mediaite
Josh Feldman said:
If someone wants to volunteer to help the needy, why wouldn’t you welcome them in? Well, the group Upstate Atheists attempted to volunteer for the Spartanburg Soup Kitchen but were turned away because… they’re atheists. And in case the turndown wasn’t clear enough, the director of the soup kitchen said atheists are banned from joining them.

Reactions: seashale76

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My new minister was telling me about a food bank in old town that banned non-Christians from volunteering. This case was particularly odd since the food bank was founded by the local synagogue and the building was donated by a Jew. Apparently, in private conversations with the pastor who run the food bank the problem isn't Jews, he's trying to prevent local Muslims from helping.

Stories like the OP rarely make the news, but talk to anyone in the clergy and you'll quickly find that it's common place.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
On that,I have no idea..I'd be welcoming them with open arms..sometimes volunteers are hard to come by..Why look a gift horse in the mouth?
Not only are volunteers hard to come by, but so are donations. If you exclude people from volunteering they certainly aren't going to donate.

Excluding volunteers for some perceived principles is like cutting your nose to spite your face.

BTW, my wife helps to run a local ecumenical food bank that accepts all volunteers and donations and does not put any faith requirements on the people recieving help.

Upvote 0

JCSr

Gunshine State
Sep 6, 2012
✟11,486.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Anyone found this story in a mainstream media source?

How does this qualify as a "Politics" report and not News and Current Events?

It qualifies as 'politics' just as much as discussing home schoolers rights or a couple denying gays equal access.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, they have the right to refuse, there's no question about it. But why would they? This a group of people who want to help.

Unless "helping" is incidental -- a means to an end.

They want credit for helping to go to themselves, not some nasty, nasty atheists.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, they have the right to refuse, there's no question about it. But why would they? This a group of people who want to help.
That was explained: “This is a ministry to serve God” she said. “We stand on the principles of God..."

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That was explained: “This is a ministry to serve God” she said. “We stand on the principles of God..."

So why bother feeding people? What's the point?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Didn't know it was a principle of God to not let people of different faiths (or lack thereof) help you assist the needy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Didn't know it was a principle of God to not let people of different faiths (or lack thereof) help you assist the needy.

Apparently it's a principle of God to sabotage other people's attempts to assist the needy.

Reactions: Archaeopteryx
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Then why even bother to feed the poor?

My mother helped run a food bank and always accepted help from whoever would volunteer or give donations, dispite what the sponser church said. Relying on just one church is to small of a pool of people to get enough people and money to feed people.

As she has said: "People need help, does it matter what the helpers believe?"

Upvote 0

JCSr

Gunshine State
Sep 6, 2012
✟11,486.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat

The ministry wasn't serving God, they were serving the homeless and hungry!

No wonder why they are so confused which led to making stupid decisions which will be defended here.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My mother helped run a food bank and always excepted help from whoever would volinter or give donations, dispite what the sponser church said.
Nit pick: "accepted" not "excepted". Wouldn't normally bother pointing that out, but "excepted" fundamentally changes what you meant to say.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.