What would you advise an atheist who is willing to seek God for a few months?

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why not just recommend Mere Christianity?

That's right - we dont know how many converted after reading it so that would rule out that recommendation as well.
Because when a person expresses an interest in knowing if there is a God or not, I don't just leave them alone to find out the truth but invest my own time and effort in helping them. Recommending a book is as cheap as it gets. No personal investment and no love expressed in caring about them. You just say, "read a book" and get on with your own life.

When the rich young ruler asked Jesus what he needed to do to inherite eternal life, Jesus did not say, "go and read a book."

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's your opinion Whatever you think works best for you - have at it. But it cant be applied to any Christian book including the Bible.

By reading -

"But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night." Psa 1:2

"This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success." Jos 1:8

"Jesus said to those Jews who had believed in Him, If you abide in My word [hold fast to My teachings and live in accordance with them], you are truly My disciples." John 8:31-32

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's your opinion Whatever you think works best for you - have at it. But it cant be applied to any Christian book including the Bible.

By reading -

"But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night." Psa 1:2

"This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success." Jos 1:8
It is not my opinion that JEsus invested love and time with people he met who asked him questions. Jesus did not teach anyone to do "whatever works best for them" making them the number 1 in any senerio.

Now the scriptures you quote support "my view" and you notice that this one has his deight in the law of the Lord, not any book any wrote. His delight is not in Lee Strobel's book according to this verse. He is not encouraged to meditation on Lee Strobel's book day and night. Following what Lee writes is not going make him prosperous, at least there is no promise, not even by Lee that is what will follow from reading his book.

So reading the Bible has converted people because that literally IS the law of the Lord.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Id just advise that with an open mind and heart that every single day they ask God to reveal his spirit to them.

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart Jeremiah 29:13
I have talked to atheists who did this and nothing happened. They remained atheists.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dr Hugh Ross, a physicist, became a Christian after reading the major religious books and found that the only book that was correct was the Bible. An example is that the creation story had to have occurred in the order of the text. (Joni Table Talk, May 17)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes well you have to seek him with a genuine heart.
They say they were genuine. I think it runs deeper than that.

My main response is to consider what God would say to do instead of a one answer is suitable for all approach. “Read a book” is a suitable for all answer, for example.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums