Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So something fun to talk about is this idea that Jesus could actually come back in our lifetime.

I have read and considered the following, and note I do not claim to state the date of Jesus return, only something to discuss.

“But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:8‬ ‭ESV‬‬

So conservative estimates and young Earthers will put the creation year of the Earth around the year 4,000 BC. This is based off back dating genealogy accounts from Abraham back to Adam in Genesis. We know God created all things in 6 days and on the seventh day he rested. So starting at creation until now, 6,000 years, we can see a timeline of 6 days in which God "creates" or works on the earth, then on the seventh day which could dawn at any moment brings God's rest. Stay with me :)

Now there are three main feasts in which Jews were expected to pilgrim to Jerusalem (Unleavened Bread/Passover, Harvest/Pentecost, Shelters/Trumpets/Atonement [these 3 occurring within 3 weeks of each other])

With Passover Jesus was crucified, buried, and resurrected.

With Pentecost, the Holy Spirit was given and the church began.

With Shelters, Jesus will return to the Earth to inaugurate his Millinial Kingdom. This timeframe on a year to year basis is in the Sept~Oct period of the year.

So Jesus was crucified around April of 33 AD. (I know that estimate varies but that is the widely accepted view). Then on the day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit fell is when the church actually began. So this was about 1984 years ago. Going back to 2 Peter 3:8, Jesus being in the ground and rising on the third day early in the morning (Matt 28:1). IT COULD BE SAID that as Jesus was in the ground for 2 days and rose early on the third, he has been away from the earth for 2 prophetic days, or 2,000 years, and early on the 3rd he will make a reappearance.

This third day should start around the year 2033, 2,000 years after his death, burial, resurrection and the Holy Spirit being given. Which could put the time frame of Jesus return around Sept~Oct 2033.

Now the interesting part is this, the creation timeline of 6 days of work and 1 day of rest puts the day of rest beginning around the year 2,000. And as just discussed the timeline of Jesus puts it around the year 2033. I find it interesting that the two almost reconcile around the same time and year.

Also of note is Jesus prophecy that "this generation will not pass until all be fulfilled" (Luke 21:32). Most will acknowledge the parable of the fig tree as an indication of the restoration of a nation to Israel which was fulfilled in 1947. A generation according to biblical standards can vary but a good estimate is 100 years. This would put fulfillment of Jesus words within the timeframe of 1947-2047.

Theadorus

Supporter
May 9, 2017
Colorado springs
✟124,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
awful-fun_o_455795.jpg

In regards to the Thread title ;)

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've never found this sort of wild speculation to be "fun". I've always thought of it as being rather sad.

I believe St. Augustine referred to it as "carnal".

Oh give me a break. It is no different than other wild theories out there, which I am sure you subscribe to at least some of them.

Nothing wrong with speculating

Last edited:
  • Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: Sorn and Eryk
Upvote 0

Theadorus

Supporter
May 9, 2017
Colorado springs
✟124,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, that's very interesting. Though, that would be good news for us because we'd be going home soon :)

I know this is off topic, but a fun Idea I've entertained is that the Apostle John is still alive. I know John clarified what Jesus spoke of in his gospel, but what if he did end up staying on earth until Jesus came back?

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, that's very interesting. Though, that would be good news for us because we'd be going home soon :)

I know this is off topic, but a fun Idea I've entertained is that the Apostle John is still alive. I know John clarified what Jesus spoke of in his gospel, but what if he did end up staying on earth until Jesus came back?

Then he would be a very old man indeed lol

Reactions: Theadorus
Upvote 0

VARZR

Apr 16, 2017
Virginia
✟20,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It can be "fun" but it can also be damaging.

Dates have been set countless times before and so far none have been correct. Each time a date is set and passes it gives scoffers ammunition. This can also cause Christians to get turned off to even studying the prophetic events that surround the return of Jesus.

With all that being said. If anyone were to ask me when Jesus will return and when the rapture will take place my answer is "Soon but not yet" more prophecy has to be fulfilled before the return.

I am 99% sure according to my understanding of the Bible that the rapture will NOT take place this September 23rd. But there are plenty of people out there spreading this. When the 24th of September comes around and the church is still here there will be disappointment and ridicule. If enough people set enough dates and cry wolf enough times the majority of the church will tune it out and may not be prepared when the real deal comes. Learn the lesson of 88 reasons in 1988 and the double down of 89 reasons in 1989. This turned a whole generation off to taking serious the return of Jesus.

With all that being said. I personally look for the fulfillment of prophecy that leads up to the return instead of trying to do some calculations.

However IF someone had somehow forced me to pick a year range I tend to agree that you are probably in the right range give or take. I wouldn't be writing any books about 33 reasons the rapture will be in 2033 and I wouldn't be shouting it from the roof tops. There should be plenty of events that make it more clear when the time is closer.

• Winner
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It can be "fun" but it can also be damaging.

Dates have been set countless times before and so far none have been correct. Each time a date is set and passes it gives scoffers ammunition. This can also cause Christians to get turned off to even studying the prophetic events that surround the return of Jesus.

With all that being said. If anyone were to ask me when Jesus will return and when the rapture will take place my answer is "Soon but not yet" more prophecy has to be fulfilled before the return.

I am 99% sure according to my understanding of the Bible that the rapture will NOT take place this September 23rd. But there are plenty of people out there spreading this. When the 24th of September comes around and the church is still here there will be disappointment and ridicule. If enough people set enough dates and cry wolf enough times the majority of the church will tune it out and may not be prepared when the real deal comes. Learn the lesson of 88 reasons in 1988 and the double down of 89 reasons in 1989. This turned a whole generation off to taking serious the return of Jesus.

With all that being said. I personally look for the fulfillment of prophecy that leads up to the return instead of trying to do some calculations.

However IF someone had somehow forced me to pick a year range I tend to agree that you are probably in the right range give or take. I wouldn't be writing any books about 33 reasons the rapture will be in 2033 and I wouldn't be shouting it from the roof tops. There should be plenty of events that make it more clear when the time is closer.

I agree and again, this is not meant to be a prediction only a fun discussion. If I wanted it to be more I would try to include more prophecies, etc.

I think we should all live as if today is the day Jesus is returning. Not necessarily because it is but because it could be the day we go to meet him! Either way, we must be prepared

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
IT COULD BE SAID that as Jesus was in the ground for 2 days and rose early on the third, he has been away from the earth for 2 prophetic days, or 2,000 years, and early on the 3rd he will make a reappearance.

The Jewish day begins at sunset, so he rose about midday. Also, he was taken down from the cross at the very end of the first day, if you want to get technical. He was physically in the ground on each of the three days, but that just barely included the first day, plus half of the third day and all of the second. By this reckoning, the second coming is late, already.

Also of note is Jesus prophecy that "this generation will not pass until all be fulfilled" (Luke 21:32).

I take that as one of the many times people didn't realize that Jesus was talking about himself. He was the generation in the line of David that would not pass away, and his kingdom would last forever, regardless of the times ahead.

A couple of other notable instances were when he called Peter the rock, because on this rock (Jesus) he would build his church, and the prediction that when this temple (Jesus) was destroyed he would rebuild it in three days. He was always talking about himself, and people always thought he was talking about them. So, too, this generation refers to Christ, himself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Jewish day begins at sunset, so he rose about midday. Also, he was taken down from the cross at the very end of the first day, if you want to get technical. He was physically in the ground on each of the three days, but that just barely included the first day, plus half of the third day and all of the second. By this reckoning, the second coming is late, already.

I take that as one of the many times people didn't realize that Jesus was talking about himself. He was the generation in the line of David that would not pass away, and his kingdom would last forever, regardless of the times ahead.

A couple of other notable instances were when he called Peter the rock, because on this rock (Jesus) he would build his church, and the prediction that when this temple (Jesus) was destroyed he would rebuild it in three days. He was always talking about himself, and people always thought he was talking about them. So, too, this generation refers to Christ, himself.

Interesting, thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, and one other thing...

Just for fun, I lay odds on that at 0.8% chance of being true.

But seriously, I am not claiming that to be the day or time, just off a couple assumptions it could be, which you apparently agree with giving it a hearty 0.8% chance :)

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟290,691.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
But seriously, I am not claiming that to be the day or time, just off a couple assumptions it could be, which you apparently agree with giving it a hearty 0.8% chance :)
Obviously you haven't searched this forum for other timelines, or you would have seen the one I did, that adds all the given time periods of the OT Patriarchs, kings, etc, and ties it to known dates. I copy it again below:

Genesis 1:27 Adam was created in 3970.5 BCE [added back from 586 BC]
Gen 5:3 Seth +130, Gen 5:6 Enoch +105, Gen 5:9 Kenan +90, Gen 5:12 Mahalalel +70, Gen 5:15 Jared +65, Gen 5:18 Enoch +162, Gen 5:21 Methuselah +65, Gen 5:25 Lamech +187, Gen 5:28 Noah+182, Gen 6:7 The Flood came when Noah was +600, Gen 11:10
Our year 2314.5 BCE
Arpachshad +2 - born to Shem after the flood. Gen 11:12 Selah +35, Gen 11:14 Heber +30, Gen 11:16 Peleg +34, Gen 11:18 Reu +30, Gen 11:20 Serug +32, Gen 11:22 Nahor +30 , Gen 11:24 Terah +29, Gen 11:26 Abram +70, Abram was +52 when God called him and they left Ur. Our year 1970.5 BCE He lived in Haran for 23 years, then went to Canaan at age 75. Genesis 12:4 Total years so far = 2000

Gen 17:1, Abraham was 99 when the Covenant was made with God. +47 Genesis 17:1-8
Galatians 3:17 Paul states that the Law was given +430 after the Covenant. Total years elapsed until the Exodus – 2477, in our year 1493.5 BCE. [Many ancient records say Comet Typhon passed close the earth at that time. It was the cause of many of the disasters in Egypt.]

1 Kings 6:1 The Temple construction starts, in the 4th year of King Solomon +480 since the Torah was given at the Exodus.. 1 Kings 11:42 Solomon 40 minus 4 = +36, 1 Kings 14:21 Rehoboam +17, 1 Kings 15:2 Abijah +3, 2 Chron 16:13 Asa +41, 1 Kings 22:42 Jehoshaphat +25, 2 Kings 8:17 Jehoram +8, 2 Kings 8:26 Ahaziah +1, 2 Kings 11:1-3 Athaliah +6, 2 Kings 12:1-3 Joash +40, 2 Kings 14:1-2 Amaziah +29, 2 Kings 15:1-2 Azariah +52, 2 Kings 15:32 Jotham +16, 2 Kings 16:1-2 Ahaz +16, 2 Kings 18:1-2 Hezekiah +29, 2 Kings 21:1 Manasseh +55, 2 Kings 21:19 Amon +2, 2 Kings 22:1-2 Josiah +31, 2 Kings 22:31 Jehoahaz +3mths, 2 Kings 23:31 Jehoiakim +11, 2 Kings 24:8 Jehoichin +3mths, 2 Kings 24:18 Zedekiah +11, who ruled until the Babylonian captivity in our year 586 BCE.
Total elapsed years to the first exile of Judah = 3386.5

586 BCE + 613.5 years + 2 comes to 29.5 CE, the date of Jesus’ baptism. Luke 3:1 Plus 2 to include the total number of elapsed years, as our calendar system counts years from their commencement.
3386.5 + 613.5 = 4000 years.

January 2017 CE - 29.5 CE = 1987.5 years since the commencement of Jesus’ Ministry.

1987.5 + 4000 = 5987.5 years, is where we are now. 5987.5 + 12.5 = 6000 years

2017 CE + 12.5 = 2029.5 CE Exactly 2000 years to the end of the present Church age. 4000 since Abraham, 6000 since Adam, next comes the 1000 year reign of Jesus.

7000 years is God’s decreed time for mankind.
Those who have been found worthy will go into eternity with God. Revelation 22:1-5

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The six thousand year theory is one of the oldest out there. The earliest statement of it that I have personally seen is in the epistle of Barnabas, which is believed to date from around 130 A.D. It was also advanced by Irenaeus, who is believed to have published his famous work between the years 186 and 188 A.D. But it is mere speculation, and speculation has no place in Christian ministry.

Upvote 0