xMinionX

Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
✟18,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not familiar with Goode and do not know what he is alleged to have stated. My response was regarding Glenn Beck, who is anything but bigoted. In his interview with Ellison, he was playing on the impression that a majority of americans have of of Muslims and in doing so was offering Ellison the opportunity to explain why that impression is irrational or unfounded. If you were familiar with Glenn Beck at all, you would know that he is not a bigot.
"I have to tell you, I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies.' And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way."
Hmmm! Bigotry? I don't think so.

Why would he feel like asking him if he was working with terrorists if he already knew he wasn't? That doesn't make any sense.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"I have to tell you, I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies.' And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way."

He admitted right there that he does feel that way. Because Ellison is a Muslim, some people in this country assume that he must also be a terrorist. In this post-9/11 world, we need to take caution in not generalizing about all Muslims for the acts of a few. Doing so will not help in this so-called War on Terror.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Jacey

WinJace
Jan 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Why would he feel like asking him if he was working with terrorists if he already knew he wasn't? That doesn't make any sense.

It's the interview way of push-polling. It's one of the tactics the Bush campaign used against McCain in SC and it worked well.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I'm not familiar with Goode and do not know what he is alleged to have stated. My response was regarding Glenn Beck, who is anything but bigoted. In his interview with Ellison, he was playing on the impression that a majority of americans have of of Muslims and in doing so was offering Ellison the opportunity to explain why that impression is irrational or unfounded. If you were familiar with Glenn Beck at all, you would know that he is not a bigot.
Hmmm! Bigotry? I don't think so.
Actually, that proves his bigotry right there, and when he says, "And I know you're not," it's either an attempt to deflect from the idea that he just asked this man to prove he wasn't the "enemy" because he's Muslim or he feels guilty for thinking that way. Bottom line, it's biogted thinking. And Goode is not alleged to have said anything, he wrote a letter with his bigotry on full display:
When I raise my hand to take the oath on Swearing In Day, I will have the Bible in my other hand. I do not subscribe to using the Koran in any way. The Muslim Representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of that district and if American citizens don’t wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran. We need to stop illegal immigration totally and reduce legal immigration and end the diversity visas policy pushed hard by President Clinton and allowing many persons from the Middle East to come to this country. I fear that in the next century we will have many more Muslims in the United States if we do not adopt the strict immigration policies that I believe are necessary to preserve the values and beliefs traditional to the United States of America and to prevent our resources from being swamped. The Ten Commandments and 'In God We Trust' are on the wall in my office. A Muslim student came by the office and asked why I did not have anything on my wall about the Koran. My response was clear, 'As long as I have the honor of representing the citizens of the 5th District of Virginia in the United States House of Representatives, The Koran is not going to be on the wall of my office.'
And I am familiar with Glenn Beck, and that man is a bigot.

Upvote 0