Some of that good ol' fashioned bigotry

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
glennbeckir0.jpg

MediaMatters: On the November 14 edition of his CNN Headline News program, Glenn Beck interviewed Rep.-elect Keith Ellison (D-MN), who became the first Muslim ever elected to Congress on November 7, and asked Ellison if he could "have five minutes here where we're just politically incorrect and I play the cards up on the table." After Ellison agreed, Beck said: "I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies.' " Beck added: "I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way."

Go see the video - QT | WMV

Ellison handled this bum with true class.

noparty

Nov 2, 2006
Nashville, TN
✟8,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Nobody can prove a negative. Bush can't prove he's not working with the enemy. To ask someone that question on national TV simply because of his religion is extremely rude, unprofessional, and bigoted, not to mention a logistical impossibility. All it does is make closed-minded Americans distrust Ellison even more without any reason to. Poor taste.

I don't have CNN and have never heard of Glenn Beck.

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This is not new. In 1942, we asked various Americans with a Japanese heritage to prove to us that they weren't working for our enemies. When they couldn't, we shipped them off to concentration camps.

Glenn Beck's parents probably tried to shoot a few of them. You can't be too careful, you know. We're "at war" here.

Reactions: k
Upvote 0

rosewaning

Jun 12, 2004
✟15,858.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you had someone on your show who had ties to NAMBLA, would you not call them out on it? Would you not question the general motivations of a person who would associate themselves with such an organization?

This is no different.

Reactions: DieHappy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rosewaning

Jun 12, 2004
✟15,858.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Nobody can prove a negative. Bush can't prove he's not working with the enemy. To ask someone that question on national TV simply because of his religion is extremely rude, unprofessional, and bigoted, not to mention a logistical impossibility. All it does is make closed-minded Americans distrust Ellison even more without any reason to. Poor taste.

I don't have CNN and have never heard of Glenn Beck.
It wasn't because of his religion, but with his association with CAIR. At least, that's what he talked about on his radio program (I don't have cable).

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think that he plays to his audience, and as a result has to put questions like that out. I think that people get sick of saying the word "Islamic extremist" or "Islamic fundamentalist" over and over again, and eventually get to the point where they just want to say "Muslim."

But that is a dangerous pllace to let oneself go, for it does not put proper distinguishments on who people are.

Often times, people do not separate a Christian fundamentalist from a Christian, and I indeed pay for this generalization in some ways, so I think we should collectively be careful about distinguishing amongst Muslims as well.

Upvote 0

ElvisFan42

Senior Veteran
Jul 18, 2006
✟11,203.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Someone better tell the Prez, his security, and more importantly his handlers that CAIR is a terrorist organization, because that second gentlemen from the right, is Nihad Awad, the executive director of CAIR:

20010917-11-2-m.jpg
Oh, you mean he has a link to CAIR?

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Here's an idea....since Bush claimed bin Laden was responsible for 9/11 and since Bush said 6 months after he did not care where bin Laden was we should ask Bush for proof he's not playing board games in the White House basement with Mr. Forgotten.

I can't believe Beck did not get fired for that. I can't believe such a stupid question would fly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,570.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
If you had someone on your show who had ties to NAMBLA, would you not call them out on it? Would you not question the general motivations of a person who would associate themselves with such an organization?

This is no different.
Is that the NAMBLA religion you speak of? The Muslim orginization? That is how you describe a religion with a billion members, an organization?
I am actually shocked that Beck didn't ask him if he were a true American because he was black, because we all know that black people have a hidden agenda. :doh::doh::doh:

Upvote 0

Lynden1000

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Orlando, Florida
✟3,628.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have no idea what CAIR is. Yes, I live under a rock and try to avoid world news.

If its suspected of being a terrorist organization, then the question makes sense, even though it isn't really answerable. All the gentleman can do is give his word.

If it isn't suspected of being a terrorist organization, then the question is rather dumb.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

This is no different.
So everytime he has a Pro Lifer on he should ask them to prove that they've never bombed an abortion clinic?

Upvote 0