Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Did anyone else catch the comment about showing European muslims how to integrate?

Absolutely typical of an attitude prevalent amongst many Americans that they are ahead of the field. But are they?

Lets compare my own country and the US.

US: Ellison is the first muslim elected to congress. There still has never been an Islamic senator.

UK:

In 1970 we had the first Pakistani born British citizen elected to office as a Councillor: Bashir Mann

We now have over 200 Muslim councillors.

In 1998 we had our first Muslim Peer - Baron Ahmed

Since 1998 we have had a Female Muslim peer in our upper house - Baroness Uddin

In 1998 we had our first Gay Muslim peer: Baron Alli

In 2000 we had another Muslim peer in our upper house: Baron Patel of Blackburn

In 2001 another Muslim was made a peer and joined our opper House: Baron Bhatia

Most recently in 2004 yet another Muslim was made a peer to sit in the House of Lords: Baroness Falkner of Margravine

In 1997 we had our first Muslim MP elected - Mohammed Sarwar.

In 2001 we had our first British muslim representative elected to the European Parliament: Sajjad Karim

Khalid Mahmood was first elected to Parliament in 2001.

Shahid Malik is the first British born Muslim to be elected - he has held his seat since 2005.

Sadiq Khan was also elected in 2005 - he had been a local councillor since 1994.

In 2005 we had our second British Muslim representative elected to the European parliament Syed Kamall

We also have Parsi, Sikh and Hindu politicians at all levels of government.

Perhaps America (or at least those as ignorant and too lazy to check out their facts as Glenn Beck is) could learn a thing or two from Britian in this case.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, silence those you disagree with. A Stalinist tactic at best.
Sending complaint emails to CNN is not silencing Beck. It's excercizing freedom of speach to express unhappiness with Beck. If CNN gets enough complaints then free market forces may lead them to cancel his show. Sounds pretty darned American to me.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sending complaint emails to CNN is not silencing Beck. It's excercizing freedom of speach to express unhappiness with Beck. If CNN gets enough complaints then free market forces may lead them to cancel his show. Sounds pretty darned American to me.
Remember the conservative motto "it's not fascism when WE do it!".

Upvote 0

DieHappy

and I am A W E S O M E !!
Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's a shame that the bigotry spewed by Glenn Beck gets airplay.
Um, isn't this your thread? Didn't you just give him airplay to a good dozen people here who never would have heard it otherwise?

Reactions: TheMissus
Upvote 0

RonPaulJr

Nov 16, 2006
✟7,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don’t like Beck at all, and would give him the benefit of the doubt if he did not have a history of making gaffs like this before.
We all know that there was a more professional and respectful way to address this topic.
His question was meant for one thing and one thing only, to stereotype all Muslims.
He should be truly ashamed and on top of that looking for a new job, in a cubical where he has no contact with any people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DrFate

Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
I travel
✟1,877.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Nope, I didn't watch Glenn Beck, I like to keep my viewing of racists to a minimum.
There you go again slinging names at people you disagree with. I heard part of the Glenn Beck interview and it was OK. I used to listen to Glenn Beck and he is a fine American. CAIR is a terrorist supporting organization.

Upvote 0

CCGirl

Resident Commie
Sep 21, 2005
Canada
✟27,370.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
There you go again slinging names at people you disagree with. I heard part of the Glenn Beck interview and it was OK. I used to listen to Glenn Beck and he is a fine American. CAIR is a terrorist supporting organization.

I keep hearing these allegations about CAIR. Can someone provide proof of these assertions? Are they on the US govt "terrorist" watch list?:confused:

Upvote 0

CCGirl

Resident Commie
Sep 21, 2005
Canada
✟27,370.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think blocking the Dubai ports deal was racist. It seems most Democrats in Congress felt it was a threat. I'm curious how treatment of Ellison is racist yet the Dubai ports deal was not.

We do not need to be afraid of every person who is Muslim.

It was racist. :help: There is very little difference between the dems and repubs.

Upvote 0

noparty

Nov 2, 2006
Nashville, TN
✟8,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think blocking the Dubai ports deal was racist. It seems most Democrats in Congress felt it was a threat. I'm curious how treatment of Ellison is racist yet the Dubai ports deal was not.

We do not need to be afraid of every person who is Muslim.

While I agree with your sentiment, I don't think it's a very good comparison. The Dubai port fiasco was about not letting a foreign power control some of our major ports. I wouldn't want the UK to run our ports either. There were a lot of people that turned it into a racist or anti-Muslim thing and that's unfortunate.

Mr. Ellison on the other hand is an American, born in Detroit, Michigan, elected to congress in a democratic election by the American people. To question Ellison's allegiance solely because of his race and/or religion on national TV just makes other people question Ellison's allegiance solely because of his race and/or religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alarum

Nov 5, 2004
✟6,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
CAIR has had multiple members convicted of supporting terrorists. This isn't racism. Its fact. They support Hezbolla and Hamas, and have been condemned by other members of the American Muslim community for it. Additionally, several of their members have been found to be either terrorists, or convicted of supporting terrorists. Obviously an organization can't be responsible for the behavior of all of its members, but at the same time, when you have a founding member of a division funneling money to Hamas for a decade, your civil-rights coordinator stockpiling AK-47s, and your director of community relations convicted of supporting terrorists, something has gone a little wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critic...s#CAIR.27s_support_of_terrorist_organizations

As for the Dubai ports deal - the company involved was a state-owned company. That meant the ports would be under the ownership of another nation. That nation was one of the last nations to break off relations with the Taliban and has been listed as a good friend of Hamas. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that they're Al Qaeda supporters, but it doesn't mean we just hand over our ports to them either.

Racism is illogical hatred based on race. It is not illogical to look at countries or organizations that have had shady dealings or shady members, and treat them as shady. Racism would be saying "oh, a bunch of CAIR members supported terrorists, therefore all Muslims support terrorists" (actually it would be closer to religious bigotry, but w/e). The point being, it isn't illogical hatred to say "hmm. Group X has a lot of members who have been proven to support terrorists. I wonder if other members of the group support terrorists."

As for Mr. Ellison, he has definately had some dealings with CAIR. The thing is, on the whole, I think CAIR has more idealistic members who are completely innocent of any terrorists dealings whatsoever than they do people who actually support terrorists. The problem is, they have an 'us against them' mentality. That is, they are not policing their own members, because 'they support us!' I'm not talking about an opinion-based witch hunt, I am talking about simple checks like making sure your money is going where its supposed to be going and not to, say, terrorists.

While I am unsure how good of a congressman Mr. Ellison make, there's a lot of people I can say that about and I think he deserves a shot.

Upvote 0

Alarum

Nov 5, 2004
✟6,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't have a problem with someone stockpiling AK-47's.

The other stuff is an issue though.
A bunch of people stockpiling loads of automatic weaponry and ammunition isn't a problem? I mean I know you're against gun control, and its not my favorite thing either, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out those weren't collectors items, or going to be used for hunting. You don't illegally smuggle AKs into America for friendly reasons.

There's a reason this stuff is licensed when its sold. Now I'm not in favor of banning it - but letting automatic weapons like AKs float around unmonitored is a recipe for disaster. Especially in the hands of a bunch of people with ties to a terrorist organization.

Upvote 0

Alarum

Nov 5, 2004
✟6,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
So they were *actual* true assault rifle select-fire AK-47's and not some Romamian semi-automatic variant?

If so, that's something of an issue. If they broke the law, that's a bad thing.
Well I checked the actual court papers for you. Even though Fox decided they were AK-47s, they were the cheap Romanian knock offs. Still, the conviction said they trained with Grenade Launchers and machine guns in Pakistan. Man, why do I keep reading the nice news digests and trusting their weapons reports? I've been up too long if I'm trusting the media to report a weapon correctly.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,98361,00.html
http://files.findlaw.com/news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/terrorism/usroyer603ind.pdf

Upvote 0