Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm very thankful that saggin' your pants is out of fashion now.
altho, it did always make me laugh to wtch those folks who sagged try to walk w/o dropping trou. And they ran like penguins.
I will not miss missing their underwear, tho.
A

Yeah people act like its not 2012 that is so old. Now people are wearing fitted or skinny jeans.....and trust me the tight clothes nerdy 80s look taken to far looks like something negative but thug isn't the word that comes to mind.

But think about it the nerdy 80s look is in plastic framed designer glasses, tight jeans, high top sneakers tight shirts rope chains back packs.

That doesn't scream drug dealer

Upvote 0

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
More kafka-trapping. You're bad because you are white/male/middle-class and the fact that you won't acknowledge your privilege only proves/aggravates your crimes against humanity. Confess that you are evil, and take up self-flagellation in your spare time to prove your sincerity dsrohe.....
I like the article. Thanks for the link!

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When we dropped my son off at youth group tonight, I saw a guy walk in with both taigh and baggy pant on. I am not kidding! He somehow managed to find pants that were skin tight, yet below his _______. I was actually perplexed, thinking, how is that even possible? :scratch:

I do see that when I go to Harlem or queens but in the Bronx in jamaican and first generation communities I see super tight clothes and no sagging. But there are major drugs being sold.

I wish police would stop bothering hard working people like me and start harassing the people that actually sell drugs.

Siddnote I live in a half a million dollar town home my grandparents own on the top floor apartment. I pay my grandmother 1400 a month and that's a family discount.....I live 6 blocks from the projects!! My neighborhood is full of Jamaican private home owners we have been at war with the projects since my father and his parents moved here. People in my neighborhood dont sell drugs they distribute them there are 16 year olds with BMWs they also are known to sell guns you can't buy at a gunstore.

If someone gets killed it doesn't affect our areas murder rate!! The police just have the body and inform the family. The price of the homes are to expensive to lower with crime. So instead of solving murders they pretend it doesn't happen. My life to the NYPD means nothing...

But I'm supposed to respect their authority?

I have two cousins that were murdered here both shot in a car. One was said to have been drunk driving and crashed in a pole! But his body had to be closed casket he his body full of bullets. Another his gf told us what happened can't prove it never saw the body.

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

Avniel said:
So I'm going to start off by saying we as brothers and sisters of Christ should be able to talk about anything and no hard or bad feelings should come from it.

So my wife and I are paying attention to the case of the black Florida teen that was shot by the night watch. We had a conversation that lead us to a deep side that a few people are taking it to. What do we teach our son about his reality of being black in America?

My thoughts were I would tell my son that he can not do everything he sees. The fact is I'm a law school student married and with a child I was pulled over because I have a charger with rims and tinted windows I was driving at night time with a hoodie over my head and I was pulled over. That is my sons reality to avoid trouble he shouldn't put rims on his car, he shouldn't wear hoodies in certain areas, he can't be in a car with 4 of his friends at night or he has a higher chance of being in a dangerous situation. The reality is my son is a black child in America and he can't walk around like there is no such thing as racial profiling. That is his reality.

My wife on the other hand she is more of an idealist. If he likes rims, if he wants to go out with his friends if he wants to dress a certain way he should this is America and he has rights.

Yeah I agree he should but just because someone should be able to or it's only fair that they are able to doesn't mean that the reality they live in is fair. Life isn't fair all persons living has to find away around it.

What do y'all think????

My Husband and I are also closely watching this case. We aren't too far above them in NC. There has been several protest even with our state in support.

Same as you, this case has struck dialogue for us concerning our sons. We have a 10 and 3 year old.

I'm from CA and my Husband from MS. Both of us grew up completely different when came to racial realities due to the area in which we grew up. But the one common thing we agree upon concerning this is that racial strife is still very much an issue today as it has ever been. We have come a mighty long way through education and teaching against ignorance but it is a taught thing and emotions are attached to it. It's a difficult thing.

For this particular issue, I'm more of a realist like you and my Husband's views line up more with your wife's.

I think that as a people we have to be conscious of the perception that we give. Right or wrong, we are in a position to either confirm stereotypes/judgements or help to disprove them. It's not fair and frankly it upsets me but nonetheless it is reality. We have to be mindful that some people have preconceived thoughts about who we are before they even know our names.

Our outside presentation feeds those preconceived thoughts and in this case, it ended tragically. It's such a shame that we live in a world where still some people look on the outside and make assumptions and feel as if they have the right to act on those assumptions.

We are raising our children (daughters and sons) to be mindful of others ignorance and to represent themselves in the manner of who they are. They like certain things and shouldn't be denied those things on the fear of what others will assume about them. However, they need to take that into consideration at times because unfortunately we do live in a world that will judge them on those very same likes. It's difficult to know how to express it to them when they are still very much innocent and ignorant to much of these types of things. We don't want to create fear and anger in them for possibilities that prayerfully they will never have to face.

~For Your glory Lord {iPad}

Reactions: JaneFW
Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My Husband and I are also closely watching this case. We aren't too far above them in NC. There has been several protest even with our state in support.

Same as you, this case has struck dialogue for us concerning our sons. We have a 10 and 3 year old.

I'm from CA and my Husband from MS. Both of us grew up completely different when came to racial realities due to the area in which we grew up. But the one common thing we agree upon concerning this is that racial strife is still very much an issue today as it has ever been. We have come a mighty long way through education and teaching against ignorance but it is a taught thing and emotions are attached to it. It's a difficult thing.

For this particular issue, I'm more of a realist like you and my Husband's views line up more with your wife's.

I think that as a people we have to be conscious of the perception that we give. Right or wrong, we are in a position to either confirm stereotypes/judgements or help to disprove them. It's not fair and frankly it upsets me but nonetheless it is reality. We have to be mindful that some people have preconceived thoughts about who we are before they even know our names.

Our outside presentation feeds those preconceived thoughts and in this case, it ended tragically. It's such a shame that we live in a world where still some people look on the outside and make assumptions and feel as if they have the right to act on those assumptions.

We are raising our children (daughters and sons) to be mindful of others ignorance and to represent themselves in the manner of who they are. They like certain things and shouldn't be denied those things on the fear of what others will assume about them. However, they need to take that into consideration at times because unfortunately we do live in a world that will judge them on those very same likes. It's difficult to know how to express it to them when they are still very much innocent and ignorant to much of these types of things. We don't want to create fear and anger in them for possibilities that prayerfully they will never have to face.

Funny thing im from ny and my wife is from ms.

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

Avniel said:
Funny thing im from ny and my wife is from ms.

Ha! That says a lot. I guess it proves big city ideas vs. small town perceptions is more accurate then I thought. Both CA & NY are way more progressive when compared to MS.

My Husband talks very frank of the racism that he has experienced. I couldn't relate but was able to identify with him. Same for me on my side. I was more tolerable and he wasn't able to relate but identify.

We've learned a lot from one another.

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

dsrohe said:
I think that case in Florida is even more interesting because the man who killed the teenager is Hispanic. So you have one underrepresented minority killing another underrepresented minority. From the 911 recordings the killing does seem somewhat racially motivated. Although maybe it was age discrimination more than racial discrimination. It's a tough situation to discern.

I disagree with it being about age.

His racial slur has nothing to do with age. In fact the only thing that makes it even worst is the age. This was clearly a boy. Even his most recent pictures shows the innocence on his face. A grown man looked at him and saw his race and assumed. So much to the point that he felt threatened (so he says). Nothing about the pictures, I've seen of the victim screams threat. He was a child killed by a man due to the color of his skin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

All4HISglory

Godsgirl79 said:
I think he should be able to do what he wants. If he gets pulled over, unless he is doing something wrong then he shouldn't have anything to worry about except deal with the aggravation of it.

Shouldn't have anything to worry about is the issue.

It's sad to say but there is a probability that even when doing wrong, he may have to deal with a situation that he shouldn't.

My question would be, if he wasn't doing anything wrong, then why did he get pulled over? It could be yet another case of racial profiling.

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

JaneFW said:
The guy was on foot, was he not - just walking. I think you are wrong, Dsrohe. I think that some people have a perception that a black face under a hood is far more dangerous than a white face under a hood. If that had been a white face, I don't think he would have been shot. I have actually been following along with the story, and the fact that the guy was walking along, talking on the phone to his gf when someone walked up and challenged him, then shot him, speaks of racism very loud and clear and not "an accident".

Avniel, you are right to be concerned. It's a pretty horrible world we are living in when your skin color or your clothing or your car can instantly raise suspicion. It is a fact that the police do racial profiling. I mean, it's a given.

Is it only me that sees what is going on in the world? Like the guys who drove over the African American guy deliberately, after been heard for days before issuing racial epithets and threats. (Oh yeah, and nobody told the cops?) One guy has gotten a life sentence, and there are more people to be tried. What did that guy do wrong? Wear the wrong colored skin?

It's hateful. Disgusting.

I agree with you Jane!

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

Avniel said:
What is a thug? Especially when so many young men in the black community embrace the "hip hop culture" as their own. Which in part is apart of the black experience for many young black men. If you go to any historically black college or university you will see young black men dressed similar to other young black men who are not in college.

I went to a top ranked HBCU the same HBCU that martin luther king went to. The kids there dressed the same way the rappers on TV do, the same way the kids in the bronx do.

Clothes doesn't make you a thug your actions make you one.

The question comes up, when you notice a lot of young black men dressing a certain type of way inspired by an art form as being "thuggish" then when does that become a race issue?

The fact is there are millions of black men that are not thugs that have had many run ins with police officers, one being Sean Bell, Amadou Diallo and many other law abiding citizens that have lost their lives because the color of their skin lead to suspicion....to deny that is to deny what the black experience in america is.

I went to a small HBCU for 2 years prior to being called up to active duty. I later graduated from Methodist University. One common trait with educated professionals and those within the Hip Hop culture is that it's a "legacy" of some sort as a people. It doesn't matter how far you go, where you go, educated white collar or 9-5 blue collar, you will most likely have an experience in the hip hop culture.

Another important aspect is that it is a culture that may be appear to identified with a specific race but in all actuality, it is a conscious choice based on likes and what appeals to an individual. So you will have many different nationalities engulfed in the culture. So again, it's pure ignorant and racist to target someone based on their clothes.

In this situation it was clearly about skin and not clothes. He had a hoodie on because it was raining off and on! Jackets and sweatshirts are made with hoods for this exact reason. It's clear to me, it was racial.

I agree with you.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ha! That says a lot. I guess it proves big city ideas vs. small town perceptions is more accurate then I thought. Both CA & NY are way more progressive when compared to MS.

My Husband talks very frank of the racism that he has experienced. I couldn't relate but was able to identify with him. Same for me on my side. I was more tolerable and he wasn't able to relate but identify.

We've learned a lot from one another.

I'm a born and raised California girl. I'm also Irish...raised Catholic....attended Catholic schools, and never thought racism was ever a factor here. My dad is from the Tennesse/Virginia/Kentucky area, and we visited his home town when I was about 14 years old. I couldn't believe how people spoke there (just everyday casual speak).........how divisive it all was, "I don't know that area.....that's the black area, so I never visit there"...things were said like that.

However.....I wouldn't say that California is necessarily "progressive" it's just that racism is kept hidden......it's more in people's attitudes. I *do* think it affects how people are (mis)treated.....and when it's in attitudes, it's more difficult to fight against.

Upvote 0

Roxanne71

Mar 26, 2012
✟7,616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well wearing your hoodie over your head while driving makes you look suspicious regardless of your race.

Even in the middle of winter and you just got into the car from the cold? I drive around in the winter with my hoodie over my head all the time. And even if it wasn't cold outside, I still wouldn't think it suspicious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Even in the middle of winter and you just got into the car from the cold? I drive around in the winter with my hoodie over my head all the time. And even if it wasn't cold outside, I still wouldn't think it suspicious.

Tell me on a sick day where you have to go out hoodies aren't the best.

Upvote 0