JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i was homeless for a period in my life, actually a few years i had no money, i could live where ever i wanted, kinda like the movie "down and out in beverly hills" you can be broke on skid row or in an area where people throw really nice stuff away, saying your forced to live somewhere is not true, you could buy an RV and live in it, and move from walmart parking lot to walmart in nice neighborhoods
Seriously? You think this is a reasonable lifestyle for people with children? I wouldn't opt to move around for the rest of my life, or expect my children to change schools and live wherever I chose for them to live.

Upvote 0
P

peggy sue

Seriously. I have $50 in my bank account till next Friday. Just how am I suppose to buy an RV?

I never said that one was forced to live anywhere--just that up and moving is not always a feasible option.

i'm sorry i didn't realize you had an atheist icon, you will have to make it on your own and do the best you can, for me on the other hand, i serve an amazing God who took me from the streets of depravity and transformed me from a pennyless filthy alcohol and drug addict into someone who doesn't even worry about money, God is truly a generous and loving God, i would never be where i'm at, had i not surendered my life to Him and submitted myself to the authority of His Son Jesus, if the joy i have now is simply a perk, and the money just a bonus, i can tell you that living a life to fulfil His plan is much better than the one i was living on my own merrit and my own plan

Upvote 0
P

peggy sue

Seriously? You think this is a reasonable lifestyle for people with children? I wouldn't opt to move around for the rest of my life, or expect my children to change schools and live wherever I chose for them to live.

it is what the Jews did for forty years, although they didn't have the luxury of walmarts and resturants, they were in the wilderness........incidently sending kids to public school today, is not following Gods command to bringing your children up in the way they should go, teaching them evolution and gay lifestyle is OK, and that experiencing all forms of sexual promiscuity is not sinful is what the public school teaches, i'm sure money will be the biggest excuse, i'd live in my car before i'd send my child to one of these indoctrination camps. you can't serve two Gods

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
it is what the Jews did for forty years, although they didn't have the luxury of walmarts and resturants, they were in the wilderness........incidently sending kids to public school today, is not following Gods command to bringing your children up in the way they should go, teaching them evolution and gay lifestyle is OK, and that experiencing all forms of sexual promiscuity is not sinful is what the public school teaches, i'm sure money will be the biggest excuse, i'd live in my car before i'd send my child to one of these indoctrination camps. you can't serve two Gods
Okay .. whatever. I have no idea what "money will be the biggest excuse" means, but you have already made a judgment on me without knowing anything about our lifestyle, where our kids go to school or anything else.

And this has nothing to do with the OP, anyway.

As for not serving two gods, what that has to do with the OP? Also confusing.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

LOOOOL what???? I think you might be tad bit extreme.

The bible says my people perish for lack of knowledge...

Now how is your child going to compete in a competitive market with major gaps in the education. Not only that it limits who that child can witness to.

How can you explain your beliefs to a Muslim without understanding their beliefs, a scientist ect.....

I think that is man thought of not heavenly inspired.

That's really religious

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay .. whatever. I have no idea what "money will be the biggest excuse" means, but you have already made a judgment on me without knowing anything about our lifestyle, where our kids go to school or anything else.

And this has nothing to do with the OP, anyway.

As for not serving two gods, what that has to do with the OP? Also confusing.

It's like you don't want to address it but you have to.

I'm still stuck on it being responsible to just and move with no money no jobs because God will provide.

God also tells us to be good stewards over what He has blessed us with and that's poor stewardship

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Not to mention the fact that the ancient Israelites wandered the desert for 40 years because they were being punished.

It's not like it was God's plan for them to reject the promised land and live as nomads in tents for 40 years.

<staff edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
P

peggy sue

LOOOOL what???? I think you might be tad bit extreme.

The bible says my people perish for lack of knowledge...

Now how is your child going to compete in a competitive market with major gaps in the education. Not only that it limits who that child can witness to.

How can you explain your beliefs to a Muslim without understanding their beliefs, a scientist ect.....

I think that is man thought of not heavenly inspired.

That's really religious

might of been an extreme example "wandering in the wilderness" but God took care of them inspite of the fact there was no source of sustainance out in the desert, i don't see God telling people to train their children to be the next fortune 500 leadership, in fact the difference between what God wants kids to be like and what the world says kids should be like are becoming farther and farther apart. money is usually the excuse for why people send their kids to public indoctrination camps, they want to live at a level their friends live at, having nice things, nice cars, nice houses, all so that they can both work and just dump their kids into the most ungodly teaching and indoctrination........and then think the few hours they're at home they will unravel all the false teaching and unbiblical crap they have been fed all day.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To get back to the OP .. it does seems that there is a lot of hasty revisionism going on with this case. It seems that the FBI are involved! I'm not sure whether that's likely to lead to a case being filed, or the whole thing being hurriedly covered up! It's disappointing to read that so many people are "tired" of hearing about it. If it was their kid, I'm sure they would want to shout it from the rooftops too, and have the whole investigated. I certainly would if it were one of my kids.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saw a somewhat disturbing story on CNN. While it covered a particular kid, the disturbing premise was this. Among black children in America, at 6 years old they tend to be optimitic about race relations and friendships with other races. By 13 they are overall pessimistic. The reason given was rejection they perceived to be because of their race during those 7 years. Still digesting that one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
welcome to the real world, the one you just described is only in fictional childrens books
I'm not ignorant of the evils of this world. I've read the "story".....I've seen how it ends---especially the part about the "gate is narrow, and few will enter, but broad is the gate of destruction." The thing is....we don't have to be part of the problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
welcome to the real world, the one you just described is only in fictional childrens books

Yes and in the real world we have prisons..and the death penalty(in many states)..and thats where the murderer who did this belongs..

Also in the real world are peopel who wouldnt fathom shooting in cold blood antoher human beign becasue they were black ..and in THAT real world those people will get together and make sure the ones who do(or with all thier might anyway) get punished severly..thats the real world too..

Dallas

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saw a somewhat disturbing story on CNN. While it covered a particular kid, the disturbing premise was this. Among black children in America, at 6 years old they tend to be optimitic about race relations and friendships with other races. By 13 they are overall pessimistic. The reason given was rejection they perceived to be because of their race during those 7 years. Still digesting that one.
I saw that too. It's heartbreaking.

I think about it like this - we never have said anything racist in front of our kids, but we haven't said anything that was against racism, because we didn't perceive a need. We always had friends that were other races and cultures and creeds. When my boys were little, I saw them eagerly embrace other boys (metaphorically not literally) who were also of other races/cultures/creeds. At my youngest son's 9th birthday party, he had 6 friends, who identified themselves (I didn't identify them) as Hispanic, African and Fillipino. I remember looking at them all laughing together, and it did my heart good to see the mixture of skin colors, and to think that racism is a thing of the past. But lately, I noticed that that while my eldest son had also had friends of other races when he was little, he has started to talk differently. He was talking about being in law enforcement and what he would do if "a big Mexican dude" came after him. He said a few more things in that vein, and at that point I pulled him, and said you know, what is this? Why are you talking about "Mexicans" - when you know that in itself, people prefer to be called "Hispanic" and "Mexican" said in a derogatory way like that is as deplorable (IMO) as using the n-word - as though only they are criminals and as though only they are criminals. I named some of our Hispanic friends and asked him if he would talk that way in front of them, and he wouldn't answer that, he just changed the subject. But I was disappointed. About that time, our middle son had come home with a racist "joke" about Asian people, and both my h and I had told him that it was racist and not welcome in our home, and he needed to think twice about it, although actually we had to explain to him why it was racist, because he really didn't get it.

So, I think we did our kids a disservice in just imagining that racism wouldn't strike them because they had a good example from their parents. I think we should have talked to them about racism. Because it seems that at some point .. that willingness to embrace kids from all ethnicities must give way to, what? Suspicion? Fear? Perhaps they hear racism from other kids - and we all know how kids can be more influenced by their peers than by their parents - and they have no defence against it, especially if misled parents like us never sat them down and talked about racism, and why it was wrong. So, that would correlate somewhat with this change in perspective of the African American kids, because that early acceptance has gone away. Just a thought anyway, and of course just based upon my kids.

That's one of the reasons I think now, that I see my youngest son interested in this case, both my h and I are talking to him at great length about it and about racism. My h always has the news on in the morning when ds gets up, so this guy is seeing a lot more of the world than probably his brothers did, because we didn't ever watch the news much in front of them, to kind of protect them from the evil that happens "out there". Probably we were misled in that too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes and in the real world we have prisons..and the death penalty(in many states)..and thats where the murderer who did this belongs..

Also in the real world are peopel who wouldnt fathom shooting in cold blood antoher human beign becasue they were black ..and in THAT real world those people will get together and make sure the ones who do(or with all thier might anyway) get punished severly..thats the real world too..

Dallas
:amen:

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, I think we did our kids a disservice in just imagining that racism wouldn't strike them because they had a good example from their parents. I think we should have talked to them about racism.

Jane - We haven't done that with our kids either. We do go to a multi-cultural church, live in a multi-cultural neighborhood. Their school, a large private Christian one, is decidedly majority white, but we've worked under the belief that their church and neighborhood exposure along with the teaching of the school would balance out the limited minority exposure at school.

However, thinking back to when I grew up in a rural area, I remember when segregation ended as I was in elementary school. Neighborhoods were segregated and most of my neighbors wanted it that way - and were not afraid to say so. Didn't want property values pulled down, crime to increase and all that. My parents were active in talking with me and my sister about how and why racism was wrong. I can't say I came out of the exposure to racist thoughts and comments unscathed, but I can say my parents active approach had more influence than those of friends and neighbors.

The new thinking point of that story to me is that I've looked at local neighborhoods, churches and seen the progress made there. So I've believed while racism still exists, it was lessening with each generation and I did not anticipate the shift in attitude between 6 and 13 years old. I did expect the 6 year old attitude to continue as those kids got older.

I'm thinking I need to be more active in discussing with my 10 and 13 year olds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
P

peggy sue

The guy with the gun was following the black guy, not the other way around. I don't you understand the basis of this situation at all.

your misunderstanding my position, i'm for Zimmermman being arrested for murder, he followed and was responsible for the way the kid reacted, like i said in an earlier post, if someone was following me on a dark street in the middle of the night and refused to stop following me, i might be inclined for my own safety to make the first strike. ..........i think where you lost me was my indentifying peoples personal responsibility and common sense for putting themselves in danger, no matter how much they have the right to do what they do. if i stuck 100 dollar bills in my hat and walked through a bad part of town and my hat got stolen, would you understand that i had a part in it getting stolen

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
your misunderstanding my position, i'm for Zimmermman being arrested for murder, he followed and was responsible for the way the kid reacted, like i said in an earlier post, if someone was following me on a dark street in the middle of the night and refused to stop following me, i might be inclined for my own safety to make the first strike. ..........i think where you lost me was my indentifying peoples personal responsibility and common sense for putting themselves in danger, no matter how much they have the right to do what they do. if i stuck 100 dollar bills in my hat and walked through a bad part of town and my hat got stolen, would you understand that i had a part in it getting stolen
If its raining and I put on a hoodie I lack common sense?

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think I'm misunderstanding. The young guy had no way of knowing that there were crazy racists in that neighborhood, and he had no $100 bills in his hat, he had candy and a soda in his hands. In the real world, those are not weapons, and nor do they constitute any kind of threat, nor any lack of "personal responsibility". By that token, if I am jogging home from the gym with the hood up on my sweatshirt because it's raining, anyone I pass has the right to shoot me down in the street, and it will be my fault for putting a hood over my head. Oh, but hang on, there's a white face under MY hood, so therefore I'm probably safe.

Upvote 0
P

peggy sue

If its raining and I put on a hoodie I lack common sense?

whats the criteria of the situation, location, time, and people you possibly could come in contact with, you know as well as i do just wearing the wrong color hankerchief in some neighborhoods could get you killed, doesn't common sense tell you, regardless of your rights as a free human being not to do things that may cause someone else to act violently against you, if a cop acted like i was a wanted criminal and was hollering with gun drawn to put my hands up, would common sense tell me to reach in my back pocket and pull out the good citzen award i had just received from the mayor earlier that day to prove i was'nt the one he was looking for

Upvote 0