Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No it isn't.

The police are not allowed to profile based on things like race, sexual orientation, gender, and age, but "those with tinted windows" and "those wearing hoodies" are not a protected classes. Police are allowed to profile as much as they want on things like heavily tinted windows and hoodie wearing. I did ride-alongs with police on a number of occasions, and we definitely profiled heavily tinted cars, brightly colored sports cars, cars driving around in known drug trafficking areas in the middle of the night, etc.

The point is, though, that all other things being equal, police are statistically more likely to pull over people of color (POC) than white people. Other factors like tinted windows, hoodies and bumper stickers are frequently used as pretense. The real reason the police suspected the driver was probably race.

Plus, getting pulled over is one thing - how people are treated by the police during the stop is another. So is the likelihood of a stop for a minor violation turning into a search of the vehicle, being asked to step out of the vehicle, etc.

I once worked on a case where an SUV was initially stopped because the new car registration hanging in the back window couldn't be seen through the heavy tinting. The initial stop was probably justified. But what made the cop suspect there might be drugs in the car was the fact that there was a medallion of a Mexican Catholic saint hanging from the rear view mirror. The cops and prosecutors got away with the search and seizure because the highway patrol officer testified that it was the "patron saint of drug runners" or some such. It was, IMHO, all a fancy and legal way of saying "yeah, they were Mexican so I knew they probably had drugs on them."

Again, I never said that racial profiling doesn't exist. There are racist people in every racial group.
You didn't say it doesn't exist, but you do seem to be trying to minimize it. It doesn't just exist in individuals. It isn't confined to a few people here and there. It is more widespread and institutionalized than that.

Professor Henry Louis Gates, if you read the story, was the one at fault. He freaked out at an officer and immediately pulled the race card when the officer was going about standard protocol in response to a potential burglary in progress. I'm glad you mentioned that story because it is a perfect example of what can happen when people too easily cry "racism", when there is absolutely no racism occurring.
The problem here is that even when there is clearly racism involved people will say that they're just "pulling the race card" and blame the victim. The case of Professor Gates is, indeed, a case in point. The man was arrested in his own home. It wouldn't have happened had he been white. To deny that racism played a role in it is.... Well, that's my point - even when racism is staring people in the face, they deny that it's racism.

I do deny situation which were hyped up by the media then discovered to have no racial bias or motivation involved (Henry Louis Gates being one of the largest of those stories).
On what grounds do you assert that it was "discovered to have no racial bias or motivation involved"?

The charges against Gates were dropped and the mayor called him to apologize.

I'm glad you said that. You and I agree! I just don't want people to mistake something for racism when there is no racism involved. In fact, I think crying out racism whenever something unfortunate happens to a black person when there is no indication of racism is in of itself racist.
But who gets to decide when something is racist?

Also, it's not right to dismiss people's experiences as "something unfortunate." Being racial profiled isn't "something unfortunate." Unfortunate would be a tornado or a hurricane. Being treated differently because of the color of your skin isn't "something unfortunate" that could happen to anyone.

The problem here is that people dismiss discrimination, disproportionate treatment, racial profiling, etc, as merely something that could happen to anyone, like getting in a car accident. And then they say there is no racism.

The facts are that these things don't happen to anyone. It's not a matter of fortune (chance). It's a matter of intent. Cops decide who they're going to arrest; prosecutors determine who they're going to charge; judges hand out sentences; neighbors choose to call the cops or not, etc.

When people who have real life experiences of being treated badly more often than well by police; when a majority of people of a certain race are saying that they don't trust police or other authority figures; when all the experiments and studies show that certain people are treated differently based on their race....It's ignorant and unkind to shrug claims of racism off as "playing the race card."

The evidence of racism is there. We need to quit denying it.

That being said, I think Henry Louis Gates cried out racism against the police officer because Henry Louis Gates was being racist towards the police officer. I wonder if his response would have been different if the officer were black?
Henry Louis Gates had a right to question the police officer who was in Henry Louis Gates' home without invitation or warrant. When the police officer refused to answer his question and did not accept Gates' ID as proof that Gates' wasn't burglarizing his own home, Gates had every reason to suspect that the cop was being racist and every right to call the cop on it.

No person should have to suffer the police to trample all over their rights just because of their skin color. The suggestion that he's racist because he calls out racism when he is the victim of it is victim blaming.

I have been stopped too and I'm white. Does that mean the cop is racist against white people? Maybe he is but most of the time I don't think so.
This is illogical. Again, the point is that people of color are much more likely to be stopped than white people. Just because some white people are stopped, doesn't negate that fact. And you were probably treated better during the stop, anyway.

Reactions: Wren
Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No, but then again, neither are 99.9% of black people when pulled over and cooperative with law enforcement. Nice hyperbole, though.

Legally I as an American have rights I can refuse I can legally be as uncooperative as possible. If I am stopped for nothing I am going to ask questions I am going to take badge numbers and I'm going to inform them of what laws they are breaking.

I've been threatened to be shot by police for walking with my hands in a jacket, I've been slammed on a hood before, I have almost got into a fight with an on duty police officer for touching me inappropriate manner and when approached with his actions he became very aggressive his partners held him back.

I'm a law abiding educated citizen.

The fact is I can goto the uk in a hoodie that is expensive and get treated like a person wearing expensive clothes. In America it's different. In the uk the police are a lot more professional and seem more educated. Canada also.

The fact is wearing a hoodie isn't gangster wear its comfortable and warm

And the fact is there is no thug uniform

Black people follow black fashion trends in our community. Unless you live in the country areas like la, atl, dc, NYC and pretty much a lot of up north states past va baggy is out tight and fitted is in, fitted hats are replaced with snap backs, rocawear and Sean John are replaced with Ralph Lauren's rugby line and other high end fashion.

For example if you go to Harlem most blood gang members are wearing cardigans, snap backs, rugby or tru religion fitted jeans and prada sneakers so if I wear that am I being a gang member wanna be or just trendy

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Wouldn't life be simple if everyone that was violent wore a specific uniform or a sign across their forehead that identified them? It's wise to realize that typically the most dangerous don't stand out in a crowd--they're not obvious.......they blend in.

Upvote 0

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The point is, though, that all other things being equal, police are statistically more likely to pull over people of color (POC) than white people. Other factors like tinted windows, hoodies and bumper stickers are frequently used as pretense. The real reason the police suspected the driver was probably race.

Plus, getting pulled over is one thing - how people are treated by the police during the stop is another. So is the likelihood of a stop for a minor violation turning into a search of the vehicle, being asked to step out of the vehicle, etc.

I once worked on a case where an SUV was initially stopped because the new car registration hanging in the back window couldn't be seen through the heavy tinting. The initial stop was probably justified. But what made the cop suspect there might be drugs in the car was the fact that there was a medallion of a Mexican Catholic saint hanging from the rear view mirror. The cops and prosecutors got away with the search and seizure because the highway patrol officer testified that it was the "patron saint of drug runners" or some such. It was, IMHO, all a fancy and legal way of saying "yeah, they were Mexican so I knew they probably had drugs on them."

I agree. I do think that racial profiling does exist to a certain degree. I do not think it exists to the degree many would have us believe.

You didn't say it doesn't exist, but you do seem to be trying to minimize it. It doesn't just exist in individuals. It isn't confined to a few people here and there. It is more widespread and institutionalized than that.

I am minimizing it because it is a minimal problem. I disagree with the rest of what you are saying and do not see evidence of racism being institutionalized (unless you are referring to affirmative action which is what I would consider institutionalized racism).

The problem here is that even when there is clearly racism involved people will say that they're just "pulling the race card" and blame the victim. The case of Professor Gates is, indeed, a case in point. The man was arrested in his own home. It wouldn't have happened had he been white. To deny that racism played a role in it is.... Well, that's my point - even when racism is staring people in the face, they deny that it's racism.

He was arrested for disorderly conduct. He freaked out at the officer and immediately cried race. If he acted in a calm manner and was more polite (like I would be in the same situation), then he wouldn't have had a problem. You are assuming that the particular case was racially motivated when the evidence points to the contrary. If Officer Crowley was a former KKK member or a known racist, it would be a different story, but from officer testimonies from black and white officers, Crowley was an upstanding officer who is "good and fair". Read more specific quotes about him later in this post.

On what grounds do you assert that it was "discovered to have no racial bias or motivation involved"?

Because I've read and seen all sides of the story. No racial bias was shown at all. The police officer acted under standard operating protocol.

The charges against Gates were dropped and the mayor called him to apologize.

Yep, it was a good PR move on their part. Just because charges were dropped it doesn't mean it was racially motivated. As we all know, people will get as far away from being labeled a racist as possible, and even though the officer and police department in question were not guilty of racial bias, it's just easier and safer to get as far away from the accusation as possible. This just goes to show how people are always tiptoeing around whenever someone cries "racial discrimination".

But who gets to decide when something is racist?

Good question. In my opinion, the people group who can cry racism and be most politically correct and accepted are blacks. We don't tolerate white people crying racism and oftentimes dismiss a white person crying racism as being racist themselves! Oh the irony!

Also, it's not right to dismiss people's experiences as "something unfortunate." Being racial profiled isn't "something unfortunate." Unfortunate would be a tornado or a hurricane. Being treated differently because of the color of your skin isn't "something unfortunate" that could happen to anyone.

Except you are ASSUMING that there is racial profiling involved. What if, instead of assuming racial profiling, you considered other, more logical factors?

The problem here is that people dismiss discrimination, disproportionate treatment, racial profiling, etc, as merely something that could happen to anyone, like getting in a car accident. And then they say there is no racism.

I dismiss cases where there is no clear demonstration or evidence of racial profiling as in the case of professor Gates. Otherwise, cases of real racism are horrible situations indeed and I agree with your assessment of the real cases.

The facts are that these things don't happen to anyone. It's not a matter of fortune (chance). It's a matter of intent. Cops decide who they're going to arrest; prosecutors determine who they're going to charge; judges hand out sentences; neighbors choose to call the cops or not, etc.

I agree, but instead of assuming motivation, start off with an unbiased position.

When people who have real life experiences of being treated badly more often than well by police; when a majority of people of a certain race are saying that they don't trust police or other authority figures; when all the experiments and studies show that certain people are treated differently based on their race....It's ignorant and unkind to shrug claims of racism off as "playing the race card."

The evidence of racism is there. We need to quit denying it.

I agree, there are racist people of all races in the US. I deny that there is some sort of institutionalized, underlying racism just looking to stick it to the black person, however. That's where you and I differ. For example:
there are about a million acts of violent (rape, murder, robbery with aggravation, manslaughter) black/white crime in the United States each year. About 90% of those crimes involve a black perpetrator and a white victim.​
If I was to accept your position and assume that all cases of black/white crime are racially motivated, then we are left with the situation that black people are way more racist than white people. But instead, you would try to have me believe that ONLY white people commit crimes against black people because of racial motivation. I believe your position is hypocritical at best. In my opinion, race has MUCH less to do with crimes than you or others on this thread would have me believe. If you were consistent in your application, you would have to assume that black people are more racist when given the actual data.

Henry Louis Gates had a right to question the police officer who was in Henry Louis Gates' home without invitation or warrant. When the police officer refused to answer his question and did not accept Gates' ID as proof that Gates' wasn't burglarizing his own home, Gates had every reason to suspect that the cop was being racist and every right to call the cop on it.

You have the story confused. Gates was verbally assaulting the police officer. The police officer at the point knew it was Gate's home. Gates was warned for being disorderly. He didn't stop and was then arrested for disorderly conduct. Here's some exerts from wiki on the topic:

Sgt. Leon Lashley, a black officer who was present at Gates's arrest, said he supported Sgt. Crowley's actions "100 percent."[31] Lashley added that he thought it would have gone differently, with no arrest, if he had been the first officer to arrive on the scene and the initial encounter with Gates had been "black man to black man."[36] Another officer in the Cambridge police department said "racism is not part of it, and that is what is frustrating."[32]

Sgt. James Crowley's supporters noted he was chosen by a black police commissioner to serve as an instructor for a Lowell Police Academy course entitled "Racial Profiling", which Crowley has taught since 2004. While working as a campus police officer at Brandeis University in 1993, Crowley had tried to revive African American Boston Celtics star Reggie Lewis with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation after the latter suffered a fatal heart attack.[33] Crowley received public support from many police officers, including African Americans, who portrayed him as a good and fair officer.
All the evidence points to Crowley not being a racist. Gates was the racist person in this situation who immediately reacted to being questioned by a white officer. Read what black officer Leon Lashley had to say about the situation in the above.

No person should have to suffer the police to trample all over their rights just because of their skin color. The suggestion that he's racist because he calls out racism when he is the victim of it is victim blaming.

From the evidence I've looked at, Crowley was the innocent party. I believe you are the one who is blaming the victim.

This is illogical. Again, the point is that people of color are much more likely to be stopped than white people. Just because some white people are stopped, doesn't negate that fact. And you were probably treated better during the stop, anyway.

Yes there are racist people among all racial groups. Crying racist whenever something bad happens and ignoring the facts doesn't help anyone though. If the facts show that a situation was racially motivated, then a cry of racism is entirely in order, but automatically assuming that something is racially motivated when the evidence points to the contrary is silly. In the story of prof Gates, all the evidence points to Crowley not being the racist that Gates, the media, and others smeared him to be.

Here's a quote from Larry Elder from his book The Ten Things You Can't Say in America:
Many blacks simply despise whites. They assume white bigotry and hostility towards blacks, and feel--against all evidence--that white racism remains an intense and formidable obstacle. What nonsense.[/quote]

If you didn't watch this yet now is a good time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVLjIJUCiAs&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
Upvote 0

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For example if you go to Harlem most blood gang members are wearing cardigans, snap backs, rugby or tru religion fitted jeans and prada sneakers so if I wear that am I being a gang member wanna be or just trendy

Wait, so now you finally tell us that you are wearing the exact same clothes as blood gang members in your area... I have found the reason that you are being profiled!

If you dress like a blood, have an attitude like a blood, and aren't cooperative with police like a blood, then they will profile you as a blood until they can prove otherwise (and they are doing it for their own safety because if you were really a blood and they didn't treat you like they did, a dead police officer could easily be the result).

Upvote 0

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From 1980 to 1998, young black males
made up about 1% of the U.S. population but 21% of
felons who murdered a police officer ; young white males were 8% of the population but 20% of the murderers of law enforcement officers. Young black males murdered police officers at a rate almost 6 times that of young white males (5.7 versus 1 per million population)
Source.
From that data, young males are the most likely to murder
police officers. More specifically, young, black males are
by far the most likely to murder a police officer.

Here are some justifiable homicide stats:
The highest rates of justifiable homicide are of young black males. Of the Nation's 3.4 million young black males (black males under age 25) in 1998, 48 were justifiably killed by police. That year, young black males made up 1% of the total U.S. population but 14% of felons justifiably killed by police. By comparison, of the Nation's 18.3 million young white males, 53 were justifiably killed. Young white males were 7% of the population and 15% of those killed in 1998.​
Definition of justifiable killing by police:

The killing of a felon by police is considered justified when it is done to prevent imminent death or serious bodily injury to the officer or another person. Police justifiably kill on average nearly 400 felons each year.​

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From 1980 to 1998, young black males
made up about 1% of the U.S. population but 21% of
felons who murdered a police officer ; young white males were 8% of the population but 20% of the murderers of law enforcement officers. Young black males murdered police officers at a rate almost 6 times that of young white males (5.7 versus 1 per million population)
Source.
From that data, young males are the most likely to murder
police officers. More specifically, young, black males are
by far the most likely to murder a police officer.

Here are some justifiable homicide stats:
The highest rates of justifiable homicide are of young black males. Of the Nation's 3.4 million young black males (black males under age 25) in 1998, 48 were justifiably killed by police. That year, young black males made up 1% of the total U.S. population but 14% of felons justifiably killed by police. By comparison, of the Nation's 18.3 million young white males, 53 were justifiably killed. Young white males were 7% of the population and 15% of those killed in 1998.​
Definition of justifiable killing by police:

The killing of a felon by police is considered justified when it is done to prevent imminent death or serious bodily injury to the officer or another person. Police justifiably kill on average nearly 400 felons each year.​
Of course the police will say it is justified for them to kill. Do you really think they would say it was unjustifiable. Good gracious. How many times does the institutionalized racism that exists in the police force need to be evidenced?

I ask myself - how are these confrontations arising? Are they arising because the police are profiling young black men?

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Legally I as an American have rights I can refuse I can legally be as uncooperative as possible. If I am stopped for nothing I am going to ask questions I am going to take badge numbers and I'm going to inform them of what laws they are breaking.

So you basically make a stink? No wonder the cops get irritated with you.

I've been threatened to be shot by police for walking with my hands in a jacket, I've been slammed on a hood before, I have almost got into a fight with an on duty police officer for touching me inappropriate manner and when approached with his actions he became very aggressive his partners held him back.

And you assume all of those things happened just because you are black? Is it possible those things happened because you got smart with the officers? And let's just go way out on a limb and say you were 100% cooperative. You realize I've had similar things happen to me? In high school I was thrown over the hood of a patrol car for being at a park after curfew with a friend on mine. One night my husband and I were pulling into a gas station parking lot when we were flanked by five patrol cars. We were ordered out of the car by eight officers with their guns drawn. We were frisked, handcuffed and they tore our car apart. The reason? Our car fit the profile of a group of white meth dealers they were looking for. We were hassled by the cops as the result of profiling. We matched a description and we had done nothing wrong. Doesn't mean every time I get pulled over now I have a chip on my shoulder. Or can I play victim and claim these things only happen because I'm a woman?

I'm a law abiding educated citizen.

I'm certain you are.

The fact is I can goto the uk in a hoodie that is expensive and get treated like a person wearing expensive clothes. In America it's different. In the uk the police are a lot more professional and seem more educated. Canada also.

The fact is wearing a hoodie isn't gangster wear its comfortable and warm

But to be fair, the black culture in the UK isn't the same as it is here. They have a bigger problem with Gypsies and Arab Muslims in the UK. Black people in the UK aren't targeted, because they aren't the ones committing the majority of the crimes, but ask a Roma or Arab if they aren't profiled in the UK. I can assure you, they are. I've heard many a person from the UK talk about "pikey gyps" and "muzzies". Racism exists in the UK, it's just directed at a different group.

Black people follow black fashion trends in our community. Unless you live in the country areas like la, atl, dc, NYC and pretty much a lot of up north states past va baggy is out tight and fitted is in, fitted hats are replaced with snap backs, rocawear and Sean John are replaced with Ralph Lauren's rugby line and other high end fashion.

I guess I don't get all this emphasis on fashion. I don't care what someone is wearing. Now, I always wonder why any teenager is wearing a baggy hoodie when it's ninety degrees outside, I don't care what their race is. If I see a white teenager wearing a bulky hoodie in the middle of summer, I may assume he's up to no good. What I care about is who is committing crimes in my area. Around here it's white meth heads, so you can be rest assured when a group of toothless, scrawny white people in dirty clothes walk by me I may choose to clutch my purse a little tighter. Is that judgmental? Sure, but you tend to fear the people who fit a certain profile of folks committing crimes in your area.

Gang culture is known by more than the clothes they wear. They still wear their colors or display hand gestures. I mean, some Latinos in gangs wear white wife beaters and khakis, but I don't think every Latino person wearing those clothes are in a gang. I'd be more wary by the way they were acting.

In summary, I'm not stupid. I know racism exists, but it exists in all groups. I'll ask this - is it safer for your son to walk through my neighborhood at night or my son to walk through a "ghetto" at night? It's not even safe for your son to walk through a bad, gang saturated neighborhood. It's all relative.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess it's a minimal problem and a minimal issue .. so long as you're not black.

Or female
Or obese
Or gay/lesbian/transgender
Or Hispanic
Or Asian
Or Arab
Or handicapped
Or Jewish

By the time we shave away all of the groups of marginalized by society in general, you're left with a pretty small group of people who can claim they belong to a privileged class.

Reactions: JaneFW
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
.. even though the officer and police department in question were not guilty of racial bias
I don't know how you can come up with that. I really don't. An elderly man is arrested in his own home because a neighbor called in to say that a black man was breaking in. Yes, that is racial bias.

Good question. In my opinion, the people group who can cry racism and be most politically correct and accepted are blacks. We don't tolerate white people crying racism and oftentimes dismiss a white person crying racism as being racist themselves! Oh the irony!
No, generally, the majority group don't get to moan about racism, because it doesn't exist for them. Do you know the history of your own country? Have you been denied a job because you are white? Have you been stopped walking along the street and asked for your name, your address, proof of identity because you were white? Has someone negatively stereotyped you because you were wearing middle class white clothes? Have people peppered you with vile names because you were white - or ignored you in a store in favor of a black person - or crossed the street to avoid you because you were a white person?

One of my co-workers - African American female - was pursued by a white driver in a pick up truck a couple of weeks ago. He threw his travel cup (I dunno what you call those things), at her car, screamed at her using every racial epithet he could conjure up, and otherwise generally terrified her - forcing her to change direction and pull into a parking lot so she could call the cops. She had her 12yo son with her. He was absolutely terrified too. The cops said that they would definitely deal with it - it was defined as road rage incident, but should have been a hate incident. She's still waiting for the cops to tell her what happened ... yes, she gave them his plate .. nothing .. just waiting. In the meantime, she and her son are still shaken and nervous.

I don't know about any other white people here, but I have never been threatened by any African Americans or, in England, Afro-Caribbeans. And I have always had friends from other races - mainly Indian friends because my part of England is more mixed with people of the Indian race, but black friends too and I even hate to differentiate in that manner because they weren't "oh this is my Indian friend" or "this is my Asian friend." They were just FRIENDS. That's all. I've never had a hard time making friends with other races, and I've never been given a hard time by the members of other races. The only men who have ever frightened or harassed me were white men. I am in the minority in San Antonio. The majority of inhabitants of this city are Hispanic. I have never been hassled or threatened by Hispanic men or women. So how have I managed to get through 50 years of life in two big cities in England, and a big city in America, yet I haven't suffered any threats or violence or racism? If racism against whites is so high - why haven't I experienced it?

Reactions: Tamara224
Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But to be fair, the black culture in the UK isn't the same as it is here. They have a bigger problem with Gypsies and Arab Muslims in the UK. Black people in the UK aren't targeted, because they aren't the ones committing the majority of the crimes, but ask a Roma or Arab if they aren't profiled in the UK. I can assure you, they are. I've heard many a person from the UK talk about "pikey gyps" and "muzzies". Racism exists in the UK, it's just directed at a different group.
Actually it's just "pikeys". :) I lived in the UK for 40 years of my life and never heard "gyps" added to it. Now people will say "gypo's" instead of pikeys, but not both at the same time.

I just wanted to take issue with you attaching "profiling" to "committing the majority of the crimes." Races aren't being profiled because their members are committing the majority of crimes. They are being profiled because they are suspected of being "more criminal" than, for instance, a young white man walking down the same street.

The National Front - paramilitary racist group - sadly has seats in Parliament. When I was at college in London in the early 90's, I took part in several marches that were aimed to raise awareness at the situation going on in central London. A young black man had been run down deliberately by three white youths at a gas station not long before, which was just a part of the upsurge of racist attacks. It's not Muslims or eastern Europeans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If racism against whites is so high - why haven't I experienced it?

I wouldn't say it's high. I would say this, though, I did experience racism against me when I dated a black man when I was twenty-two. He invited me to be his date for campus game night. He attended a predominantly black college. As we walked past, one girl made a nasty comment loudly that "the vanilla *insert expletive for a female dog here* always take the good black men". When introduced to the girlfriend of his roommate, she rolled her eyes and walked away, not even acknowledging me.

So, yes, if you are a white woman dating a black man you do open yourself up to scorn and vocal ridicule from black women almost as much as you do coming from white people disgusted by the fact that you're dating another race. In fact, I once discussed the issue in a chat room around that time and a black woman told me that when "crackers like me take the black men, it's like putting the shackles of slavery on her". When I finally got a person to explain it to me without calling me "vanilla" or "snowflake" or "cracker", they said I should be ashamed of myself, because black women have a hard enough time finding a good black man, but white women and Asian women keep stealing them from them.

Upvote 0

Jan 27, 2009
Somewhere out there
✟8,559.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I will say that people from my region, white or black, are treated equally if they have the same things going on (tinted windows, rims, hoodies, baggy pants, the like). Also, it's quite funny that an Italian in New York wearing a stylish suit wouldn't be treated like a mobster, when a black person wearing a hoodie, baggy pants, and a baseball cap would instantly be treated like a gang member.

So I believe there is a correlation to dressing respectfully vs. dressing street, but would be also naive to say that there is no connection between race and public perception.

Upvote 0

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know how you can come up with that. I really don't. An elderly man is arrested in his own home because a neighbor called in to say that a black man was breaking in. Yes, that is racial bias.

He was arrested for disorderly conduct. He was acting disorderly. His race wasn't a question at all. There was also a black officer on the scene. Go read the story please.

No, generally, the majority group don't get to moan about racism, because it doesn't exist for them.

Affirmative action would like a word with you.

Do you know the history of your own country?
Of course I do. I'm not responsible for what a bunch of random white people did decades ago any more than you are responsible for the holocaust, the crusades, the 20 million people Stalin killed, or any other horrible events in history caused by people or a person.

Have you been denied a job because you are white?

Yes. Affirmative action would like to have another word with you. I've been denied college admission as well.

Have you been stopped walking along the street and asked for your name, your address, proof of identity because you were white?

I've been stopped and asked those questions but I automatically assumed that it was for a reason other than my whiteness.

Has someone negatively stereotyped you because you were wearing middle class white clothes?

Well I was never middle class as a child so I dunno (we were below poverty level). I was stereotyped for being a poor child. I don't know if it had anything to do with my whiteness or if it had to do with my poverty.

Have people peppered you with vile names because you were white - or ignored you in a store in favor of a black person - or crossed the street to avoid you because you were a white person?
Those things have happened to me but I don't know if it was because I was white or not. Maybe the people doing and saying those things were just cruel, heartless, hurting people and decided to take it out on me?

One of my co-workers - African American female - was pursued by a white driver in a pick up truck a couple of weeks ago. He threw his travel cup (I dunno what you call those things), at her car, screamed at her using every racial epithet he could conjure up, and otherwise generally terrified her - forcing her to change direction and pull into a parking lot so she could call the cops. She had her 12yo son with her. He was absolutely terrified too. The cops said that they would definitely deal with it - it was defined as road rage incident, but should have been a hate incident. She's still waiting for the cops to tell her what happened ... yes, she gave them his plate .. nothing .. just waiting. In the meantime, she and her son are still shaken and nervous.

That's a sad story. I am sorry that she had to go through such a horrible situation. The man who did that to her should be behind bars for assault and road rage among other things.

I have a similar story that I witnessed when I was a kid: It was my first time traveling to the South (we were in Virginia) and I witnessed a black woman yelling at a store owner. The store owner had just told the couple rather quietly (but I heard it) that they were not welcome in the store. Her husband (a black man) calmly took his wife aside and pulled her out of there and told her it wasn't worth it and they left. It immediately left a bad taste in my mouth of the South, that's for sure. I had always lived in the North and had never seen any sort of racism. I wanted to run up to the couple when I saw them outside, but as a shy kid it's something I wouldn't have ever done to a stranger. It did cross my mind though. So for those of you who live in the South, you have probably experienced a much different world than I have in regard to racial tension.

I don't know about any other white people here, but I have never been threatened by any African Americans or, in England, Afro-Caribbeans. And I have always had friends from other races - mainly Indian friends because my part of England is more mixed with people of the Indian race, but black friends too and I even hate to differentiate in that manner because they weren't "oh this is my Indian friend" or "this is my Asian friend." They were just FRIENDS. That's all. I've never had a hard time making friends with other races, and I've never been given a hard time by the members of other races. The only men who have ever frightened or harassed me were white men. I am in the minority in San Antonio. The majority of inhabitants of this city are Hispanic. I have never been hassled or threatened by Hispanic men or women. So how have I managed to get through 50 years of life in two big cities in England, and a big city in America, yet I haven't suffered any threats or violence or racism? If racism against whites is so high - why haven't I experienced it?

I've had people of multiple races threaten me, steal from me, and try to beat me up so my experience regarding that is different from yours (when I was a kid we lived in a pretty rough neighborhood).

Myself along with my sister were attacked as children by three young black men who were perhaps between 9 and 14 years of age; I will never forget it. I was probably about 10 and my sister would have been 9. I was riding down a bike path in the city we lived in near the river. It was a beautiful summer day right at dusk--the sun was just starting to dip below the skyline. My next youngest sister and I rode our bikes ahead while my dad pushed a younger sibling in the stroller further behind us out of sight. My sister rode behind me as I rode in front. I saw the three young men ahead. As I rode past them, one of them grabbed the back of my shirt, stopping me while asking "wanna be my friend". I got off my bike and said "sure". He then took my glasses, tossed them on the ground and they all proceeded to pull down their, pants, exposing themselves to myself and my sister. One of them then said "if you don't give me your bike we'll pee on your glasses." I grabbed my glasses, jumped on my bike, and my sister and I rode as fast as we could out of there. We passed a very large group of black people shortly after which I assumed were part of the family of the three young boys who had assaulted my sister and I. A couple of them taunted me and asked for my bike as we rode past. I was scared to death. I road ahead and found two bike mounted police officers at the carnival and told them what had happened. I was so scared, my kneecaps were shaking up and down. I started crying. Anyway, it was rough.

To this day I have no idea why they wanted to steal my bike. My bike was a 15 dollar piece of crap that my parents had bought me at a yard sale. I figure they were just looking for people to harass and intimidate. It isn't too much of a stretch to say that they profiled my sister and I because we were white. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

But yes, I do have friends of every race. Like you are saying, I don't think about race. I just think of my friends as friends regardless of color.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

I Art Laughing

Dec 20, 2011
Alaska
✟2,386.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
More kafka-trapping. You're bad because you are white/male/middle-class and the fact that you won't acknowledge your privilege only proves/aggravates your crimes against humanity. Confess that you are evil, and take up self-flagellation in your spare time to prove your sincerity dsrohe.....

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wait, so now you finally tell us that you are wearing the exact same clothes as blood gang members in your area... I have found the reason that you are being profiled!

If you dress like a blood, have an attitude like a blood, and aren't cooperative with police like a blood, then they will profile you as a blood until they can prove otherwise (and they are doing it for their own safety because if you were really a blood and they didn't treat you like they did, a dead police officer could easily be the result).

It's a cardigan and high priced clothes. Cardigans are in style. You missed my entire point you see a black college student that's from Harlem he's wearing the same line of clothes as others. Young black professionals are dressing in the same manner. There is no uniform for gang members other then colored flags but there is a uniform for being trendy and most young black men like to dress sharp.

Prada sneakers look nice cardigans look neat. The nerdy look is in and gang members drug dealers are dressing like skaters or nerds because that is the trend.

Basically your saying if you follow what's fashion forward then you should be profiled based on your attire.

What im saying is if you see a black man with a red flag in his right pocket I would consider him in a gang. That's a uniform

Snap backs rugby cardigans and prada sneakers don't look thug or make you a thug they make you trendy in the nerd look.

Polo is gangster now?

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He was arrested for disorderly conduct. He was acting disorderly. His race wasn't a question at all. There was also a black officer on the scene. Go read the story please.

Affirmative action would like a word with you.

Of course I do. I'm not responsible for what a bunch of random white people did decades ago any more than you are responsible for the holocaust, the crusades, the 20 million people Stalin killed, or any other horrible events in history caused by people or a person.

Yes. Affirmative action would like to have another word with you. I've been denied college admission as well.

I've been stopped and asked those questions but I automatically assumed that it was for a reason other than my whiteness.

Well I was never middle class as a child so I dunno (we were below poverty level). I was stereotyped for being a poor child. I don't know if it had anything to do with my whiteness or if it had to do with my poverty.

Those things have happened to me but I don't know if it was because I was white or not. Maybe the people doing and saying those things were just cruel, heartless, hurting people and decided to take it out on me?

That's a sad story. I am sorry that she had to go through such a horrible situation. The man who did that to her should be behind bars for assault and road rage among other things.

I have a similar story that I witnessed when I was a kid: It was my first time traveling to the South (we were in Virginia) and I witnessed a black woman yelling at a store owner. The store owner had just told the couple rather quietly (but I heard it) that they were not welcome in the store. Her husband (a black man) calmly took his wife aside and pulled her out of there and told her it wasn't worth it and they left. It immediately left a bad taste in my mouth of the South, that's for sure. I had always lived in the North and had never seen any sort of racism. I wanted to run up to the couple when I saw them outside, but as a shy kid it's something I wouldn't have ever done to a stranger. It did cross my mind though. So for those of you who live in the South, you have probably experienced a much different world than I have in regard to racial tension.

I've had people of multiple races threaten me, steal from me, and try to beat me up so my experience regarding that is different from yours (when I was a kid we lived in a pretty rough neighborhood).

Myself along with my sister were attacked as children by three young black men who were perhaps between 9 and 14 years of age; I will never forget it. I was probably about 10 and my sister would have been 9. I was riding down a bike path in the city we lived in near the river. It was a beautiful summer day right at dusk--the sun was just starting to dip below the skyline. My next youngest sister and I rode our bikes ahead while my dad pushed a younger sibling in the stroller further behind us out of sight. My sister rode behind me as I rode in front. I saw the three young men ahead. As I rode past them, one of them grabbed the back of my shirt, stopping me while asking "wanna be my friend". I got off my bike and said "sure". He then took my glasses, tossed them on the ground and they all proceeded to pull down their, pants, exposing themselves to myself and my sister. One of them then said "if you don't give me your bike we'll pee on your glasses." I grabbed my glasses, jumped on my bike, and my sister and I rode as fast as we could out of there. We passed a very large group of black people shortly after which I assumed were part of the family of the three young boys who had assaulted my sister and I. A couple of them taunted me and asked for my bike as we rode past. I was scared to death. I road ahead and found two bike mounted police officers at the carnival and told them what had happened. I was so scared, my kneecaps were shaking up and down. I started crying. Anyway, it was rough.

To this day I have no idea why they wanted to steal my bike. My bike was a 15 dollar piece of crap that my parents had bought me at a yard sale. I figure they were just looking for people to harass and intimidate. It isn't too much of a stretch to say that they profiled my sister and I because we were white. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

But yes, I do have friends of every race. Like you are saying, I don't think about race. I just think of my friends as friends regardless of color.
That had nothing to do with your race I've had my bike stolen my friends have too. That's part of growing up without in an inner city. But the two big differences was they hated the lady because she was black they just wanted your bike. I'd rather be robbed for something I had then intimidated for my color.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wouldn't life be simple if everyone that was violent wore a specific uniform or a sign across their forehead that identified them? It's wise to realize that typically the most dangerous don't stand out in a crowd--they're not obvious.......they blend in.

Exactly people think thugs are stupid what has happened is tv and music has created this image in people's heads that thugs dress like this and act like that. But the reality is that's not what it is any more. I know two young kids that I grew up watching out for both of them sell drugs and make money and a lot of it. They don't wear baggy jeans the wear high end clothes that would make you think they are fresh outta law school.

That flashy fad has been done with since 05 06 nobody dresses like that but country dudes older then 29 and oldEr guys that are fresh out of jail.

Remember most rappers are liars most gang members sell drugs and the easiest way for a black man to sell transport drugs is in a Honda in a suit with a baby in a car seat and a woman in the passenger and everyone knows this but the police.

Profiling does not do anything but waste time. They are bothering good law abidding citzens while the drug dealers walk past and laugh....and people that grew uP around it know it the police are so sure they know that most times they look dumb.

The mouthy college kid is getting drugs planted on him not the coke dealing jerk.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I will say that people from my region, white or black, are treated equally if they have the same things going on (tinted windows, rims, hoodies, baggy pants, the like). Also, it's quite funny that an Italian in New York wearing a stylish suit wouldn't be treated like a mobster, when a black person wearing a hoodie, baggy pants, and a baseball cap would instantly be treated like a gang member.

So I believe there is a correlation to dressing respectfully vs. dressing street, but would be also naive to say that there is no connection between race and public perception.

Nobody wears baggy pants anymore unless they are poor drug dealers wear fitted jeans the more trendy ones wear tight jeans baggy is out of style.

Upvote 0