moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well, I'll tell ya...if just one black person would forget about their rights for a minute and help to guide me around my own mental roadblocks and ignorance, it could change my life. Would that not be worth the sacrifice to you?

You're asking for one black man to not dress or act "black" for a minute and that would make you ok?

How would someone conforming to your ignorance, help your ignorance?

In all seriousness, I find your post confusing.

And why should anyone forget about their rights? For one minute or even one second.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0
P

peggy sue

So I'm going to start off by saying we as brothers and sisters of Christ should be able to talk about anything and no hard or bad feelings should come from it.

So my wife and I are paying attention to the case of the black Florida teen that was shot by the night watch. We had a conversation that lead us to a deep side that a few people are taking it to. What do we teach our son about his reality of being black in America?

My thoughts were I would tell my son that he can not do everything he sees. The fact is I'm a law school student married and with a child I was pulled over because I have a charger with rims and tinted windows I was driving at night time with a hoodie over my head and I was pulled over. That is my sons reality to avoid trouble he shouldn't put rims on his car, he shouldn't wear hoodies in certain areas, he can't be in a car with 4 of his friends at night or he has a higher chance of being in a dangerous situation. The reality is my son is a black child in America and he can't walk around like there is no such thing as racial profiling. That is his reality.

My wife on the other hand she is more of an idealist. If he likes rims, if he wants to go out with his friends if he wants to dress a certain way he should this is America and he has rights.

Yeah I agree he should but just because someone should be able to or it's only fair that they are able to doesn't mean that the reality they live in is fair. Life isn't fair all persons living has to find away around it.

What do y'all think????

i think we all need to use common sense, just as a black teen is killed every night in cincinati, i would keep my black teen out of that city. if a white person is robbed everyday in a certain neighborhood then common sense should tell white people to stay out of there. i think statistics are a good way to measure the way you walk in life, if areas are statistically high in crime, drugs and violence.......then use your head and stay out of there, if your in a neighborhood of paranoid white folks who have guns, then walking through their neighborhood with your head in a hoodie looking like a gangster (to them) your not using the brains God gave you. to survive in this world you need to adapt to your environment

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
i think we all need to use common sense, just as a black teen is killed every night in cincinati, i would keep my black teen out of that city. if a white person is robbed everyday in a certain neighborhood then common sense should tell white people to stay out of there. i think statistics are a good way to measure the way you walk in life, if areas are statistically high in crime, drugs and violence.......then use your head and stay out of there, if your in a neighborhood of paranoid white folks who have guns, then walking through their neighborhood with your head in a hoodie looking like a gangster (to them) your not using the brains God gave you. to survive in this world you need to adapt to your environment

I love how easy it is to just say, well don't live there. Like every person in the world can just up and leave. I live in a high crime area, but that is because I can not afford to live anywhere else. Both my husband and I have college degrees, him in computer repair and networking and I in elementary education. But schools are not hiring and hardly anyone else is. My husband has an ok job in the computer field, but does not earn enough money for us to move.

As for the Retreat at Twin Lakes (Where Martian was shot) I live a few miles from it, and it is not a "neighborhood of paranoid white folks who have guns." It is a normal middle class neighborhood of town homes.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And what about the ones that are acting out in hostility out of ignorance and prejudices? Is there no accountability for their actions? Shouldn't the burden fall on them for change, instead of victims that became victims based on their compexion?

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if your in a neighborhood of paranoid white folks who have guns, then walking through their neighborhood with your head in a hoodie looking like a gangster (to them) your not using the brains God gave you. to survive in this world you need to adapt to your environment
How would you know that the neighborhood is full of "paranoid white folks"? To my knowledge, they don't put up warning signs.

It's offensive to suggest that anyone is allowed to kill other humans based upon their color of their skin and/or the clothes that they wear.

If one good thing comes out of this - it's hopefully the overturning of this "stand your ground" law, because it is quite obviously being abused when a person, rather than standing their ground (which implies that a person is standing in their own territory and someone is encroaching their territory - like an armed person trying to break into their home), pursues a young man armed with a gun, when the young man is "armed" with nothing but soda and candy.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When it's raining people of all color wear hoodies. If a sunny day in June and I see a hoodie I'm nervous and it has nothing to do with color.

The fact is he was shot walking in the rain in a hoodie. That's not gangster that is normal.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When it's raining people of all color wear hoodies. If a sunny day in June and I see a hoodie I'm nervous and it has nothing to do with color.

The fact is he was shot walking in the rain in a hoodie. That's not gangster that is normal.

My 16 year old is a hoodie wearign fool LOL!!Hes not a gangsta ..not even a wannabe..he wears hoodies he has MANY differnt colors I got him just because of that he likes them ..even IN the warmer weather he will wear one..I will say he RARELY actually uses the actual hoodie part..he doesnt typically pull that over his head..but if when he DID??? he was SHOT IN COLD BLOOD because of it I would DEMAND someones HEAD on a platter presented to me for it..

BUT I dont worry about that because hes WHITE with BLONDE HAIR..

Dallas

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just like I originally said..I think its BOTH the haters should be OPUNISHED for acting out any hate crimes even if its out of sheer ignorance they are to be heldup as WHAT NOT TO BE..But I will say..if I KNOW that white is a "standout' in a certain neighborhood..with a higher liklihood im a target because Im white..I WILL do my best to avoid that area..and i would want my children to as well..Its sad and I want it to change..in the MEANTIME I dont want to be nor do I want my children to be DEAD in order to try and teach anyone anything..Im too selfish...

I think the problem is if you are BLACK..your options are SEVERELY restricted as to wear you AREN"T a potential a target..

You know I taked about being a female..I HAVE to be CONCERNED when Im alone at night in parking lots or heck..just getting out of my car at night when its dark and quiet pulling in my driveway ..I have/had to be on "guard" as a SAHM with small kids all this time that someone could be "noticing' Im at home ALL day by myself..just becasue Im female I am at RISK someone woudl take advntage of that and come in here and do BAD things to me....JUST because Im a female I have a higher liklihood of a violent crime or even a PETTY crime(liek stealign my purse) will happen to me..I have the RIGHT to be there..but unfortunately I dont want to be raped..robbed ..beaten or killed I take some measures that arent so convenient for me to avoid that as much as possible..
I woudl EXPECT however if somethign DID happen to me..for people to not say WELL ..you KNEW you were a female..YOU KNEW you were at risk..so what did you EXPECT..I would want OUTRAGE and justice to be served..the message is you WILL be punished harshly..

Dallas

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
oh and on a personal note..my son continues to date a young black girl..He reports to me that people STARE at them..and some(more than one person in the last couple months) have actually had the nervee to point blank ask them if they are a 'couple'..

I suppose im "naive"..I didnt think they would draw that much attention in 2012..having said that I was 'consdiering' that she is black(and that my son its white) so maybe I shouldnt be all that surprised..BUT it makes me "worried" for them ..will they be a target for some sort of hatred spewed their way just having dinner together?Or at the park walking together and feeding the ducks?Or are they at risk to be SHOT???????????????????????????????

Dallas

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dallas, as I am often reminded by the behavior of some people - many parts of Texas haven't made it to 2012 yet.

I guess I've remained comfortable in my denial..:oIm a little bit of an optomistic pessimist I think..Hoping for the best..not so surprised when its not..

Dallas

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
YES this song is a little cheezy but I DONT CARE..its how I LIKE to feel..I sing it to my grandson he knows the words!...Its an OLD song written in the 60's in celebration in repsonse to one of the laws past for more equal rights for our black brothers and sisters..YES its a little bit childish..in a most very enlighteinign way and we should all remember we are all just born litttle babies and children and this is how we should ALL be and I dont CARE if is "cum ba ya ish.."...If this is what we sang to our children black and white from birth the world would be more Christlike ...at least as it pertains to our skin color...I for one like to dance to this song...so does my grandson he request it..

THREE DOG NIGHT- "BLACK AND WHITE" (WRITTEN IN RESPONSE TO A SUPREME COURT DECISION) - YouTube

Dallas

Upvote 0
P

peggy sue

I love how easy it is to just say, well don't live there. Like every person in the world can just up and leave. I live in a high crime area, but that is because I can not afford to live anywhere else. Both my husband and I have college degrees, him in computer repair and networking and I in elementary education. But schools are not hiring and hardly anyone else is. My husband has an ok job in the computer field, but does not earn enough money for us to move.

As for the Retreat at Twin Lakes (Where Martian was shot) I live a few miles from it, and it is not a "neighborhood of paranoid white folks who have guns." It is a normal middle class neighborhood of town homes.

i was homeless for a period in my life, actually a few years i had no money, i could live where ever i wanted, kinda like the movie "down and out in beverly hills" you can be broke on skid row or in an area where people throw really nice stuff away, saying your forced to live somewhere is not true, you could buy an RV and live in it, and move from walmart parking lot to walmart in nice neighborhoods

Upvote 0
P

peggy sue

And what about the ones that are acting out in hostility out of ignorance and prejudices? Is there no accountability for their actions? Shouldn't the burden fall on them for change, instead of victims that became victims based on their compexion?

welcome to the real world, the one you just described is only in fictional childrens books

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
P

peggy sue

How would you know that the neighborhood is full of "paranoid white folks"? To my knowledge, they don't put up warning signs.

It's offensive to suggest that anyone is allowed to kill other humans based upon their color of their skin and/or the clothes that they wear.

If one good thing comes out of this - it's hopefully the overturning of this "stand your ground" law, because it is quite obviously being abused when a person, rather than standing their ground (which implies that a person is standing in their own territory and someone is encroaching their territory - like an armed person trying to break into their home), pursues a young man armed with a gun, when the young man is "armed" with nothing but soda and candy.

i'm not against what you believe, personally anyone following someone on a dark street at night is asking for trouble, if this kid started hitting this guy it doesn't surprise me, if i were being followed and i told someone to leave me alone and they kept persuing me, i would probably do the same , thing. changing laws will not change criminals or those who try to catch them, all this zimmerman guy will do is what alot of cops do, carry a unregistered gun for such a time as this, put it in his hand and life goes on

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
i was homeless for a period in my life, actually a few years i had no money, i could live where ever i wanted, kinda like the movie "down and out in beverly hills" you can be broke on skid row or in an area where people throw really nice stuff away, saying your forced to live somewhere is not true, you could buy an RV and live in it, and move from walmart parking lot to walmart in nice neighborhoods

Seriously. I have $50 in my bank account till next Friday. Just how am I suppose to buy an RV?

I never said that one was forced to live anywhere--just that up and moving is not always a feasible option.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I'd rather have a home/apartment to live in. I don't want to dig in the trash and most Americans agree with me. I have a friend that was homeless and I don't think for most it was a choice.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Seriously. I have $50 in my bank account till next Friday. Just how am I suppose to buy an RV?

I never said that one was forced to live anywhere--just that up and moving is not always a feasible option.

Sometimes it doesn't even spell sense to move. If I want to move some where I'm going to have to save uP and look for a job. 1)because I have a wife that dEserves it atleast 2)my child isnt going to grow up like that.

I really don't see her post as to logical.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i'm not against what you believe, personally anyone following someone on a dark street at night is asking for trouble, if this kid started hitting this guy it doesn't surprise me, if i were being followed and i told someone to leave me alone and they kept persuing me, i would probably do the same , thing. changing laws will not change criminals or those who try to catch them, all this zimmerman guy will do is what alot of cops do, carry a unregistered gun for such a time as this, put it in his hand and life goes on
The guy with the gun was following the black guy, not the other way around. I don't you understand the basis of this situation at all.

Upvote 0