solid archaeological proof of The prophet Isaiah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I don't understand the controversy. Secular history acknowledges that Isaiah existed, as proto-Isaiah is usually assigned to such an individual. So finding a seal of his is exciting, but not impossible. It would be the equivalent of finding direct objects of other figures we only know from documentary sources. It is not as if this confirms fully the biblical narrative or changes anything that we thought. There is also a possibility that this isn't his seal at all, although I am willing to accept it until I see a better argument not to. Reading damaged or incomplete inscriptions is always more of an art than a science.

However, this idea that archaeology should be utterly divorced from documentary sources is silly. Then we would be unable to say anything. We don't do that for Roman or Greek history, but some insist on ignoring the Biblical data. Certainly you don't need to take the documentary as sacrosant, to use it to craft a viable historic narrative. Besides, we already do do that, as the only way we connect Egyptian history to the Greco-Roman and Assyrian narratives, is via connecting figures like Sennacherib or Shisaq in the Biblical one. There is a bit of a double standard when it comes to foundational texts of Western Civilisation, like the Bible or the Homeric epics - there is a decided tendency to try and downplay their historic grounds from which they are derived; while we are happy to accept texts like Lucan's Pharsalia almost wholesale (even if the latter has equally fantastic elements like a witch resurrecting the dead we must ignore), or Arrian's Alexander or Plutarch's Lives (though those are clearly elaborate literary constructions that we are ready to ascribe merely to invention in the case of the Bible or Homer).

As Napoleon said, History is merely a series of agreed upon lies.

Last edited:
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah was real. In Isaiah 20 Sargon King of Assyria was mentioned. Numerous inscriptions of Sargon and other Assyrian kings were found by archaeologists. The names of some of these Assyrian kings were mentioned in the Bible. Sargon inscriptions are listed in this free U. of Chicago PDF:
https://oi.uchicago.edu/sites/oi.uchicago.edu/files/uploads/shared/docs/ancient_records_assyria2.pdf

The University of Chicago has a leading ancient Near East research department.
wow thanks a lot, I saved the document to read later. GBY I lover hearing about discoveries, it just explodes my faith in scripture.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

This is worth noting. Wikipedia is a very poor source, but is often used as a sort of epitome of knowledge. In the medical field and history, two topics I am somewhat knowledgeable in, Wikipedia is pathetic in most cases, unless you want the broadest of overviews and half-truths. Commonly even their citations are problematic, as people don't check them up. I've even found them contradicting what the wikipedia entry claims on occasion, or the ever popular 'it is possible that' or 'perhaps' becoming IT IS SO. Rather read the original sources, the journal articles or books, if you are interested, for anything you value more than just a bit of trivia.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is worth noting. Wikipedia is a very poor source, but is often used as a sort of epitome of knowledge. In the medical field and history, two topics I am somewhat knowledgeable in, Wikipedia is pathetic in most cases, unless you want the broadest of overviews and half-truths. Commonly even their citations are problematic, as people don't check them up. I've even found them contradicting what the wikipedia entry claims on occasion, or the ever popular 'it is possible that' or 'perhaps' becoming IT IS SO. Rather read the original sources, the journal articles or books, if you are interested, for anything you value more than just a bit of trivia.
Don’t have to convince you the rubbish Wikipedia pawns off as “theology.”

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What’s the problem with her methods?

Which seems a bit off topic as she actually found concrete evidence of the Isaiah and Hezekiah seals.

In find of biblical proportions, seal of Prophet Isaiah said found in Jerusalem
I think it's a problem of sources. Wikipedia really should not be cited for anything scientific, as I explained in post #3. I love it for fast food facts, but when looking for something technical or whatever, it's a bad habit to use sources of unqualified individuals. Just as you would not go to a guy on the street to write you a prescription, nor should you go to the internet in general for technical facts. I like google scholar, and use it a lot. But really it was wikipedia that said she had disagreements with her friends over her finds. And for someone who doesn't really want the Bible to have evidence of course the isaiah seal and hezekiah seal won't be convincing to them. Because they have their rose colored glasses that they see everything through, the eyes of skepticism.

• Agree
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's a problem of sources. Wikipedia really should not be cited for anything scientific, as I explained in post #3. I love it for fast food facts, but when looking for something technical or whatever, it's a bad habit to use sources of unqualified individuals. Just as you would not go to a guy on the street to write you a prescription, nor should you go to the internet in general for technical facts. I like google scholar, and use it a lot. But really it was wikipedia that said she had disagreements with her friends over her finds. And for someone who doesn't really want the Bible to have evidence of course the isaiah seal and hezekiah seal won't be convincing to them. Because they have their rose colored glasses that they see everything through, the eyes of skepticism.

The bolded reminded me of this from Lutheran Satire.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The University of Chicago has a leading ancient Near East research department.

I didn't realize that. A couple of months ago I stumbled onto this very intriguing video, while digging into my continual study of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

I was highly impressed with this speaker (Rachel Elior). I'll have to dig more deeply into what else The University of Chicago has to offer.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've even found them contradicting what the wikipedia entry claims on occasion, or the ever popular 'it is possible that' or 'perhaps' becoming IT IS SO. Rather read the original sources, the journal articles or books, if you are interested, for anything you value more than just a bit of trivia.

Wikipedia usually has links to it`s claims though.

Which is pretty funny hear people saying that is incomplete and whatever while quoting how the scammer Wyatt found just about everything short of the personal gym God uses while having nothing to show for it.

"I found the ark of the covenant but my visa was expiring so I really had to leave , also there was a new friends episode so I had to leave Pharaoh`s golden chariot to the bottom of the ocean so I could see what Chandler was doing this week"

• Haha
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

This thread has been moved to a more appropriate forum. Also, please do not flame other Christians or personalities. It is fair to criticize methods and persons without flaming. Also, it is permissible to compare methods between Biblical Archaeologists and personalities when it is able to be documented via a link or article. Stay on topic as well.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wikipedia usually has links to it`s claims though.

Which is pretty funny hear people saying that is incomplete and whatever while quoting how the scammer Wyatt found just about everything short of the personal gym God uses while having nothing to show for it.

"I found the ark of the covenant but my visa was expiring so I really had to leave , also there was a new friends episode so I had to leave Pharaoh`s golden chariot to the bottom of the ocean so I could see what Chandler was doing this week"
I like Wikipedia because it's easy, but you can see in post 3 it's has an extremely anti christian bias. Some good articles can be found but it also has a lot of error and misinformation on technical stuff. I presume it's because anyone can log in and edit pages without a degree. So there is that. But if you have citations from better sources let's hear it.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I like Wikipedia because it's easy, but you can see in post 3 it's has an extremely anti christian bias. Some good articles can be found but it also has a lot of error and misinformation on technical stuff. I presume it's because anyone can log in and edit pages without a degree. So there is that. But if you have citations from better sources let's hear it.

And those links for Wyatt`s spectacular discoveries being presented in museums all over the world ?

You have mentioned that you are an investor. Would you invest on something that had no proof of their business apart from their own text ? Something that you could literally not found anything to prove they even exist apart from their own sources ?

A company saying that they had invented practical fusion power but had no power plants, no plans, no peer reviews, no income ....just nothing. Of course you would not.

Then why give a fraud like Wyatt a free pass. The guy made up fantastical tales without any proof, had great list of excuses why he never got any. Literally saw some document where he said he saw the Ark of the Covenant on the other side of tilewall from a hole or something then just had to finish his excavation because his visa run out or something and when he got back the ark was gone, or there had beeen a small earth quake or whatever.

Who would leave an actual ark on case like that ? Who would not alert the real authorities so they coudl drag it out and make the most important thing in the history of mankind and got their name stuck to the event forever ?

Nobody has accused Wyatt of being a quiet, humble and meek type so of course he would have taken the opportunity to immortalize his name.

Guess what ? He did not. Because he had nothing. There was nothing. He was a fraud.

This is not even a question of religion. The guy was not Jesus. We can say he was a fraud without anyone calling it blasphemy.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And those links for Wyatt`s spectacular discoveries being presented in museums all over the world ?

You have mentioned that you are an investor. Would you invest on something that had no proof of their business apart from their own text ? Something that you could literally not found anything to prove they even exist apart from their own sources ?

A company saying that they had invented practical fusion power but had no power plants, no plans, no peer reviews, no income ....just nothing. Of course you would not.

Then why give a fraud like Wyatt a free pass. The guy made up fantastical tales without any proof, had great list of excuses why he never got any. Literally saw some document where he said he saw the Ark of the Covenant on the other side of tilewall from a hole or something then just had to finish his excavation because his visa run out or something and when he got back the ark was gone, or there had beeen a small earth quake or whatever.

Who would leave an actual ark on case like that ? Who would not alert the real authorities so they coudl drag it out and make the most important thing in the history of mankind and got their name stuck to the event forever ?

Nobody has accused Wyatt of being a quiet, humble and meek type so of course he would have taken the opportunity to immortalize his name.

Guess what ? He did not. Because he had nothing. There was nothing. He was a fraud.

This is not even a question of religion. The guy was not Jesus. We can say he was a fraud without anyone calling it blasphemy.
I heard that WND news did an investigative journalism article into ron wyatt including all the false news about him and they found their to be no solid leads as to anything fraudulent. It was just smear campaign. Wikipedia as it sets is very biased against christianity in general, see post three. So I would not put it past them to smear wyatt. Again I think your issue is trusting in the fake news too much. I really avoid all news all together. I simply used the WND article because it supported what I have found myself in investigating wyatt. I found his videos to be very factual and historically accurate. But yeah snopes, wikipedia, alot of fact checkers, wiki links, rational wiki, and a host of other websites related to wiki based sources just smear christians regularly, so I typically don't honor articles from those biased sources. Again if you don't believe me that wikipedia is both error prone and biased see post 3.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I heard that WND news did an investigative journalism article into ron wyatt including all the false news about him and they found their to be no solid leads as to anything fraudulent. It was just smear campaign. Wikipedia as it sets is very biased against christianity in general, see post three. So I would not put it past them to smear wyatt. Again I think your issue is trusting in the fake news too much. I really avoid all news all together. I simply used the WND article because it supported what I have found myself in investigating wyatt. I found his videos to be very factual and historically accurate. But yeah snopes, wikipedia, alot of fact checkers, wiki links, rational wiki, and a host of other websites just smear christians regularly, so I typically don't honor articles from those biased sources.

We do not have to involve any fake news or sources in this. None at all. No smearing. No disputing.

Where are any proof of Wyatt`s discoveries ? Which museums are presenting his great finds ?

Feel free to link them from as reputable sources as you can find. Give me the physical locations of his lifetime of earth shattering archeological finds.

THERE IS NOTHING.

• Winner
Reactions: summerville
Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Honestly, I don't understand the controversy. Secular history acknowledges that Isaiah existed, as proto-Isaiah is usually assigned to such an individual. So finding a seal of his is exciting, but not impossible. It would be the equivalent of finding direct objects of other figures we only know from documentary sources. It is not as if this confirms fully the biblical narrative or changes anything that we thought. There is also a possibility that this isn't his seal at all, although I am willing to accept it until I see a better argument not to. Reading damaged or incomplete inscriptions is always more of an art than a science.

However, this idea that archaeology should be utterly divorced from documentary sources is silly. Then we would be unable to say anything. We don't do that for Roman or Greek history, but some insist on ignoring the Biblical data. Certainly you don't need to take the documentary as sacrosant, to use it to craft a viable historic narrative. Besides, we already do do that, as the only way we connect Egyptian history to the Greco-Roman and Assyrian narratives, is via connecting figures like Sennacherib or Shisaq in the Biblical one. There is a bit of a double standard when it comes to foundational texts of Western Civilisation, like the Bible or the Homeric epics - there is a decided tendency to try and downplay their historic grounds from which they are derived; while we are happy to accept texts like Lucan's Pharsalia almost wholesale (even if the latter has equally fantastic elements like a witch resurrecting the dead we must ignore), or Arrian's Alexander or Plutarch's Lives (though those are clearly elaborate literary constructions that we are ready to ascribe merely to invention in the case of the Bible or Homer).

As Napoleon said, History is merely a series of agreed upon lies.

Archaeologist are not trying to prove Greek Mythology is real history.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We do not have to involve any fake news or sources in this. None at all. No smearing. No disputing.

Where are any proof of Wyatt`s discoveries ? Which museums are presenting his great finds ?

Feel free to link them from as reputable sources as you can find. Give me the physical locations of his lifetime of earth shattering archeological finds.

THERE IS NOTHING.

there is actually a wyatt museum. I haven't been there, but I suggest calling them. Ask them, do some investigating analysis. I have called museums tracking down leads before. So do your homework, don't just believe fake news. Besides the MOD HAT just asked not to flame "other christians or personalities." I don't want you to get in trouble. There is a way to correct humbly and to exhort with humility. Calling someone a liar and a fraud without posting links (again links that also don't flame christians or personalities), is not the way to do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I heard that WND news did an investigative journalism article into ron wyatt including all the false news about him and they found their to be no solid leads as to anything fraudulent. It was just smear campaign. Wikipedia as it sets is very biased against christianity in general, see post three. So I would not put it past them to smear wyatt. Again I think your issue is trusting in the fake news too much. I really avoid all news all together. I simply used the WND article because it supported what I have found myself in investigating wyatt. I found his videos to be very factual and historically accurate. But yeah snopes, wikipedia, alot of fact checkers, wiki links, rational wiki, and a host of other websites related to wiki based sources just smear christians regularly, so I typically don't honor articles from those biased sources. Again if you don't believe me that wikipedia is both error prone and biased see post 3.

WND is a very shady outfit. When Hayseed Stevens claimed he struck oil in Israel with a divining rod in 1998 WND began sell stock in Ness Oil.. WND promoted the stock and the cousin of the owner of WND sold the stock for ten years. Lot of little old ladies in Texas and Israel.. They never drilled a bore hole. Hayseed Stevens based his oil exploration on Asher's foot being dipped in oil.

Cruds like Ron Wyatt are always willing to take your money... and the money of the next crop of people who can be tricked.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
there is actually a wyatt museum. I haven't been there

Yeah, not many have. Funny that for a place to hold all of Wyatt`s great discoveries. Which they for some reason do not advertise. Also museum is open only for those with appointment (presumably so anyone too critical can be denied entry)

At least they are begging for donations so everyone is free to contribute to continue this hoax.

PLEASE HELP US KEEP THE MUSEUM OPEN TO SHARE THE DISCOVERIES BY CONSIDERING A ONE TIME OR MONTHLY CONTRIBUTION TO
WYATT ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESEARCH.

People should really consider helping those people otherwise they may have to find honest work instead of living on legacy of fraud.

Calling someone a liar and a fraud without posting links

Links to what ? The guy never found anything. There is no links to his "discoveries". There is no discoveries.

It is not up to me to prove the negative. You assert that Wyatt found something there is zero evidence of so it is up to you to post some proof the guy was something more than hot air.

And all we get is .....more hot air.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.