• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Sola Scriptura; Helpful information; Teaching

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Agallagher, Nov 19, 2020 at 9:51 PM.

1. Jesus is YHWH

Jesus is YHWH my Lord and my God ! Supporter

+846
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    And all of Gods children shouted, AMEN !

2. LoveGodsWord

LoveGodsWord Well-Known Member

+2,165
    Australia
    SDA
    Married
    JESUS is the living Word of God. *John 1:1-4; 14 who gave us the written Word of God that testifies of Him *John 5:39. We are not to live by bread alone but by every Word that proceeds out of the mouth of God *Matthew 4:4 because all scriptures is given by inspiration of God (God breathed) *2 Timothy 3:16. These are not mans words but God's Word that save us as we believe and follow them *John 17:17; John 3:16-19. God's Spirit is not separate dear friend from God's Word it works through the Word of God as we believe it (faith) and the Spirit of God is what changes those who are born again to believe *John 6:63; John 3:3-7; 1 John 3:6-9. Your friend in the video is trying to but the Spirit of God over the Word of God (false teaching of spiritualism) when the Spirit works through the Word of God not outside of Gods' Word which is not biblical. Gods' Word and Gods' Spirit work together through the Word of God *John 6:53 and are one and are not separate.

God bless.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020 at 4:32 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Jesus is YHWH

+846
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Well said !

4. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+1,552
    Catholic
    Married
    Arguably most believers down through the centuries were illiterate, even after the printing press was invented and bibles became more readily available. No, one does not have to be a bible scholar or anything close to it. My semi-peasant grandmother from the foothills of the Italian Alps, long deceased, had one of the simplest and most beautiful faiths I've witnessed, educated/catechized by the church as most believers have since the beginning. And the church had received and proclaimed the gospel before a word of the New Testament was written.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+4,651
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I think the freedom from what is written, is the freedom from control freaks who use the bible to claim their opinion is the will of God.

They cut out phrases in the scripture, and glue them together like a collage - and claim this is what God has to say.

I can totally appreciate a separating of the Holy Spirit from the bible, since sometimes people place the bible above the Holy Spirit in authority.

6. Michael Collum

+4,651
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Good video.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. PaulCyp1

PaulCyp1 Well-Known Member Supporter

+727
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Sola Scriptura is the most destructive of all the false teachings that have come out of Protestantism. Luther decided that he would reject many of the teachings of the one Church Jesus founded, which He said was to remain one, and find truth only in a book of early writings of that same Church (and Judaism), assembled by the bishops of that same Church. Before He died, there were already 7 other Protestant denominations that had broken away from Lutheranism because they didn't agree with Luther's interpretations of the Bible. The doctrinal chaos of Protestantism had begun. Today there are more than 6,000 conflicting denominations of Protestantism, each claiming to follow "the Bible alone", yet the teaching of each denomination contradicting the teaching of the others. And that doesn't even include the 20,000 so-called "non-denominational" Protestant churches! Meanwhile, the one Church Jesus founded remains one in belief, one in teaching, one in worship, one in biblical understanding throughout the world after 2,000 years. You just can't beat God's plan.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  8. Agallagher

Agallagher Undereducated.

+349
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    “I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your love for all his holy people and your faith in the Lord Jesus.

I pray that your partnership with us in the faith may be effective in deepening your understanding of every good thing we share for the sake of Christ.

Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the Lord’s people.”
    ‭‭Philemon‬ ‭1:4-7‬ ‭NIV‬‬

9. zoidar

zoidar Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,279
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    You need to get in contact with the gospel message somehow to be saved, whether it's by reading, hearing, by visions, images or something else. We don't need to read/see/hear many lines of scripture, but we need to understand the core message. So yes, you can receive the Holy Spirit without reading scripture.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. zoidar

zoidar Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,279
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    You got a good point. But I think the one and only church you say Jesus founded drifted away from true understanding of scripture hence a reformation was needed. I say Jesus has founded every church where we in Spirit are confessing the crucified and risen savior.

11. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,102
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Are you talking about those lofty ones who hear voices in their heads and think it is God speaking?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 8:41 AM
  12. Arc F1

Arc F1 Let the righteous man arise from slumber Supporter

+1,749
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Sounds more like freedom "from Christ" to me. What is it about scripture that you disagree with?

What healers are you talking about?

13. Agallagher

Agallagher Undereducated.

+349
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I don’t know what that means but it reminds me sometimes if the voices in my own head when I get down and depressed which made me just now, snicker in mind voice. :)

I don’t have a problem with scripture, use to have a big problem with people though, cause I use to hate them. It’s not so bad now, thanks to the Lord Jesus Christ. I don’t understand your freedom from Christ remark, you do remember what you have read from scripture about how with Jesus Christ there is freedom from bondage, doesn’t that ring something inside of you from the Holy Spirit arc1?

here is just one of many more Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

have a good day everyone God bless.

14. Michael Collum

+4,651
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Since those who wrote and voted on the canonized books in the bible did not have the bible - did they receive the Holy Spirit?

If so, then the bible is not necessary to receive the Holy Spirit.

If not, then why would the bible be inspired?

I agree the bible is referential and secondary - It's very much like what Paul spoke of the "under the law" concept. If you are directed by the law you cannot be directed by the Holy Spirit - one needs to be first - and that's God. Switch out the bible for the law in that concept and that's how it works.

People idolize the bible and put it first before God and go through a "dry spell" since the book itself has no spiritual power.

15. Jesus is YHWH

+846
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    So how does God speak or communicate to man today ?

What is truth ?

16. Michael Collum

+4,651
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I think, if people rely on the text itself, they will become as gnostics - the anti-feminine sentiments are starting to really come out in the word to power groups as well.

I'm aware of the textual issues with the manuscripts. Generalized statements like that don't usually help - they tend to result in people avoiding further discussion due to a lack of intellectual honesty. Not me though, just concerned about the witness.

If it's truth, God will make it clear - there is more to truth than verity.

17. Redwingfan9

Redwingfan9 Well-Known Member

+1,207
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    God speaks to us via scripture. This notion that believers can somehow walk in spirit apart from God's word is heresy. God doesn't speak to us directly, he speaks through scripture. Any claim of walking in the spirit apart from scripture sounds an awful lot like doing whatever you feel like doing amd believing whatever you want while claiming God is the author of your thoughts and feelings. In light of our depravity this strikes me as a foolhardy notion. We must test ourselves against the light of scripture.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Jesus is YHWH

+846
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Bingo !

19. lsume

lsume Well-Known Member Supporter

+449
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Look at the Apostle Paul. He thought he was serving God with his attacks on the Christian Church.

20. rom8:38

rom8:38 New Member

+12
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, I do think it is possible. If someone is praying to God for having a connection with Him, I heartily believe that He would turn no one away. However, (and you pose a very interesting question), I would think that Jehovah would give this 'connected' individual an unction to seek out His word, because that would be the only way this connection would acquire the depth of relationship, as well as the guidance to keep it, that God wants for all His children.

So, to address your question, my opinion is that yes, a person who has complete access to the Father's spiritual instructions cannot help but be closer to Him; but I don't think judgment comes into my answer to your query.

Thank you for your thought provocations. God bless.