Social Security Administration is preparing to bar 500,000 Americans from getting benefits

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Social Security Administration is preparing to bar 500,000 Americans from getting benefits

Over the weekend, the Social Security Administration (SSA) sent the Trump administration’s Office of Management and Budget (OMB) a proposal that — if similar to a version leaked earlier this year — will bar Social Security benefits from hundreds of thousands of Americans. The document that leaked suggests the proposal could ultimately prevent as many as 500,000 Americans from receiving benefits. Whether SSA can slip this through the regulatory process before President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration may depend on whether SSA and OMB respect the formal regulatory process.

If implemented, the regulation should be undone by the Biden administration or overruled by Congress.

SSA’s proposal, as described in press reports, would make it harder for older workers to receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits. By law (not regulation), SSA is required to consider age, education and work experience when determining whether a person meets the statutory definition of disability.

I'm sure the Republicans will find a way to try and pin it on the new Biden administration..

Reactions: Nithavela

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,773.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Age and education level definitely affect a person's ability to work with a disability.

I do believe that more people apply for disability on a recession. There are people who have probably struggled to continue working for years and when their unemployment expires and they have no options they apply for disability. As a matter of fact. If they apply for welfare they are required to pursue any other benefits they might qualify for.
The standards are realistic without the outgoing president making them tougher.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I'm sure the Republicans will find a way to try and pin it on the new Biden administration..

As you are trying to pin it on the Trump Administration?

The proposal comes from SSA, not the Trump administration, and is intended to save the Disability program that is near bankruptcy thanks to too many people claiming to be disabled when they simply are having a hard time finding a job.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
As you are trying to pin it on the Trump Administration?

Because this has been part of Trump's budget requests for his entire presidency.

After starting to serve as president in 2017, his budget proposals each year have sought large cuts in funding for Social Security disability. His latest one, for fiscal year 2021, seeks $75 billion in cuts for recipients of Social Security Disability (over half of whom are age 55 +), over 10 years. This includes $10 billion in benefit cuts, plus plans to reduce the number of people enrolled by about 5 percent. That would be accomplished with harsher work rules that determine who can qualify.

• Winner
Reactions: Kentonio
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,773.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I worked for the Social Security Administration a few years many years ago. I can attest that the qualification requirements are quite strenuous.

When you have talked to a 55 year-old disabled factory worker with a ninth grade education you realize that there are few jobs he could qualify for--and if there are any the employer will pass him over for a younger candidate.

I don't think that the outgoing president, who grew up as a millionaire, who I believe got $225,000 in his trust fund annually from the age of 2, who was rescued from bankruptcy by his dad, and whose principal job skill is wheeling and dealing, understands what constitutes "disability" for a 55 year-old factory worker with a ninth grade education.

The outgoing president had every advantage--military school to attempt to instill self-discipline, Fordham University, which tried hard to ground his education in Catholic morals and ethics, and University of Pennsylvania, which offered him the academic underpinnings he needed to begin his career in Daddy's business.

Upvote 0