Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
There are ways to determine how something is literal OR NOT. It's really is quite simple. Nothing I'm sure you would be interested in, why debunk yourself. I can tell you that Mathew 24 is predominantly a literal passage. I know it, and I know you've been deceived.

The one I like the best is when one of your kronies tried to convince people that the earthquakes mentioned in Mathew 24 were, "the ground shaking events of AD 70!"

That's a good one! I'd be embarrassed to be found in such a crowd.

You are in one of those crowds now buddy!

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are ways to determine how something is literal OR NOT. It's really is quite simple. Nothing I'm sure you would be interested in, why debunk yourself. I can tell you that Mathew 24 is predominantly a literal passage. I know it, and I know you've been deceived.

The one I like the best is when one of your kronies tried to convince people that the earthquakes mentioned in Mathew 24 were, "the ground shaking events of AD 70!"

That's a good one! I'd be embarrassed to be found in such a crowd.
You're certainly right; it certainly is literal. Regarding earthquakes, here's the proof:

In the writings of the first century historian Tacitus we read a description of the conditions in A.D. 51 in Rome: "This year witnessed many prodigies signs or omens... including repeated earthquakes." Josephus accounts that an earthquake in Judea was such a magnitude that "the constitution of the universe was confounded for the destruction of men."

He also wrote wrote that earthquakes were "a common calamity", and indicated that God Himself had brought them about for a special purpose. Then there is the book of Acts that records "a great earthquake that shook the foundations of the prison house" (Acts 16:26). There were earthquakes in Crete, Smyrna, Miletus, Chios, Samos, Laodicea, Hierapolis, Colosse, Campania, Rome, and Judea. Paul started churches at Colosse and Hierapolis. However, these two cities, along with Laodicea, suffered a great earthquake in approximately A.D. 61. Laodicea was rebuilt soon after the earthquake, but Colosse and Hierapolis were not.

The earthquake at the latter place was so destructive, that the emperor, in order to relieve the distresses of the inhabitants, remitted its tribute for five years. Both these earthquakes are recorded by Tacitus. There was one also, in the same reign in Crete. This is mentioned by Philostratus, in his Life of Apollonius, who says, that 'there were others at Smyrna, Miletus, Chios, and Samos ; in all which places Jews had settled.' In the reign of Nero there was an earthquake at Laodicea. Tacitus records this also.

It is likewise mentioned by Eusebius and Orosius, who add that Hieropolis and Colose, as well as Laodicea, were overthrown by an earthquake. There was also one in Campania in this reign (of this both Tacitus and Seneca speak) and another at Rome in the reign of Galba, recorded by Suetonius ; to all which may be added those which happened on that dreadful night. When the Idumeans were excluded from Jerusalem, a short time before the siege commenced. "A heavy storm (says Josephus) burst on them during the night violent winds arose, accompanied with the most excessive rains, with constant lightnings, most tremendous thunderings, and with dreadful roarings of earthquakes. It seemed (continues he) as if the system of the world had been confounded for the destruction of mankind and one might well conjecture that these were signs of no common events."

Appreciation to Terry Cropper

Last edited:
Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
As if you can logically show us how it all happened in AD &0.

Explanations have been given. Info available. You want to believe that Jesus didnt succeed and other things are yet to happen!

Jesus conquered all. I put my faith and belief in Jesus.

He said these things would happen in the Apostles generation. They did.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Context, dear friend, context.

So when do you say that the 'fig tree' budded?
"Fig tree" does not refer to the nation, if this is where you are coming from. "Fig tree" in this context is a parable, which doesn't refer to anything physical or literal. As a person observes a budding fig tree (that they can anticipate the time when the fruit is ripe for eating), so also as that generation saw all the signs, they could anticipate the time of the judgment of Israel, which was prophesied in this context. It also references the defilement of the temple in preparation for its destruction also prophesied. Sun and moon darkened and stars falling are symbolic statements of judgment on the nation, as these terms are used in the prophets. Also, Son of Man coming on the clouds is a phrase from Daniel 7:13 in the perspective of God's throne room in heaven, where Christ is given dominion.

The bottom line is, "this generation" in the Bible always refers to the generation alive when the text was written. Historically, there have always been cult groups that claimed "this generation" meant "the current generation," but they were all wrong. Can you learn from the mistakes of others?
TD:)

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't reject Christ plain words. I accept them at face value...

"See ye not all these things"
1459468802.png

Verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

The Temple was never mentioned, only "one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down."

My Bible (KJV) states very clearly that they were looking at the temple when Jesus said that. What Bible are you reading?

• Agree
Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You say they happened in the apostles generation, Jesus said it happens to the generation that sees all those things take place.
Flavius Josephus was an eyewitness in that generation.

Wars of the Jews, Book VII, Chapter VIII
And I cannot but wish that we had all died before we had seen that holy city demolished by the hands of our enemies, or the foundations of our holy temple dug up after so profane a manner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
You say they happened in the apostles generation, Jesus said it happens to the generation that sees all those things take place.

Matthew 24:34
34 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away till all these things take place.

Jesus did not say 'this' generation approx 2,000 years from now! :doh:

Reactions: jgr
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mathew 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.

No bible says they were looking at the temple, they were leaving the temple and the dsiciples asked Jesus to show them the BUILDINGS of the temple! WHAT BIBLE ARE YOU LOOKING AT! The most accurate version says..."As Jesus left and was going out of the temple complex,"...
Incredible!!
shew him the buildings of the temple
Can you read plain text? I know you can, it's just that you can't understand it because of your extremely strong bias.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟798,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The parable itself isn't a prophecy. It's a simple analogy or example. Maybe this will help....

a·nal·o·gy a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

When you see the fig tree bud, now that summer is near. When you see these things pass, know that His return is near. The parable isn't predicting anything, it's only giving you an example of knowing how to determine that Christ return is near.

So the Fig tree (and all trees) budding are just trees budding then... Not Israel becoming a nation again.

I agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You also said,

This is the text in the KJV. Can you show me where it's said that they were looking at the temple?

24 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.

2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
You should look carefully at verse 1b:
to shew him the buildings of the temple
I keep trying to point this out to you, but apparently you haven't paid attention yet.

1. They are going out from the temple,
2. The disciples point out the majesty of the buildings of the temple,
3. Jesus says "see all this?" (while looking at the temple structure, or even pointing to it)
4. "There shall not be one stone left on top of another"

The context of this passage determines what they were doing, what they were talking about, and where they were at the time.

Blindness to what the text actually states is very common. It has happened to me in the past. Frustration about such blindness has motivated me to open my eyes to what the text actually says, and to start questioning what I have been taught about it. Yet it never ceases to amaze me about how blind people can be to what the plain text says. It's easy to accept what some charismatic leader claims a passage means, and then read that meaning into the text without paying attention to what the text actually says; it's a common problem.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,263.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
"Fig tree" does not refer to the nation,
Actually it does refer to Judah, the Jewish people. Its an allegory for them, used several times in the Bible. Jeremiah 24:5-7, Habakkuk 3:17, [Israel is the vine, Isaiah 5:7a] Matthew 21:19
We know that Matthew 24:32-34 is a prophecy about Judah and their becoming a nation again because we have seen it happen. Undoubtedly God had a hand in their establishment and survival.
So it is only those who want to avoid any nasty or dramatic things happening them, who deny the truth of 'our generation', being the one that will 'see it all'.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't think you know what the temple complex grounds were like.

I pay attention, just not to people like you.

Earlier you said,

You have issues. No bible says they were looking at the temple. V. 1 in every bible says Jesus went OUT and DEPARTED from the temple.

Yes you should!
And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
AFTER they departed the temple with Jesus, they were standing on the temple grounds, and likely ready to exit the entire complex when the disciples asked Jesus to show them the (other) buildings of the Temple complex.

The interlinear words it like this...I don't imagine you care.
Jesus coming-out and went from the sacred place. and his disciples approached him to-exhibit the home buildings of the sacred place.

You said,

Incorrect, they had already DEPARTED the TEMPLE.
And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple:

They did? Where?!

That's an absolute fabrication! They were looking at ALL the buildings of the temple complex. They had just departed the Temple itself where Jesus likely familiarized and spoke to them about it. After they exited the Temple, they wanted Jesus to show them the other buildings of the Temple grounds/complex. The best translation says..."As Jesus left and was going out of the temple complex,"...
IMG_0628.jpg

That's right, how did you get it so wrong?

You're still right in the middle of it.

I have read your posts and it is clear you are getting it all wrong buddy. The jigsaw you are trying to assemble has the pieces all mixed up the wrong way!

Reactions: tdidymas
Upvote 0