• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

So the bible says to test all things, does this include the bible?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Michael Collum, Apr 21, 2019.

1. ChristianForCats

ChristianForCats Bible Reader

+813
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    This is not correct. Many people, including Christians who were raised in churches, fail to understand whu Jesus said what he did and what verses mean. All over this forum members have questions related to bad Hebrew and Greek translations. If you don't test the Bible you don't really know how to apply every page.

2. PanDeVida

PanDeVida Well-Known Member

+334
    Catholic
    Married
    "Does it include the Bible"?

The Protestant Reformers Tested the Bible and founded that it was in err, thus the reason why they took out 7 books. Truly I did not know that the Holy Spirit who guided the early Catholic Church Fathers to compile the Bible with the 7 Books errored.

Do you believe that The Holy Spirit Errored? Not ME! I prefer the Bible with the 73 Books how the Holy Spirit Guided the Early Church Fathers to Compile It. Amen

Pan De Vida

3. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+5,349
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Doesn't the Ethopian Orthodox Canon have more books than you? #jussayin

4. PanDeVida

PanDeVida Well-Known Member

+334
    Catholic
    Married
    Micheal, perhaps there is a bible with a thousand books in It, your argument is not with me, but with the Holy Spirit and with His 73 Books of His Bible compiled for us. #Jusssayin

Pan De Vida

5. Michael Collum

+5,349
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    :D

6. Noxot

Noxot ☿☿ Supporter

+2,357
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    you got to have something compatible with God, reject what is not with God, and grow in God.

John 4:21-24 (YLT)
    4:21 Jesus saith to her, `Woman, believe me, that there doth come an hour, when neither in this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, shall ye worship the Father;

4:22 ye worship what ye have not known; we worship what we have known, because the salvation is of the Jews;

4:23 but, there cometh an hour, and it now is, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father also doth seek such to worship him;

4:24 God is a Spirit, and those worshipping Him, in spirit and truth it doth behove to worship.'

7. childeye 2

childeye 2 Well-Known Member

+1,668
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Exactly where does the bible say to test all things?

8. Michael Collum

+5,349
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    1st Thessalonians in Chapter 5

9. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+7,410
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Jesus is God's Word incarnate. He told us His words we have recorded in the gospels will endure forever, even after this Earth and this Universe have passed away and been replaced. These words will not be replaced or superseded, we know from Him.

10. timewerx

timewerx the village i--o--t--

+5,054
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    Of course, the Words that brough the Universe into existence will remain true... It is what holds our reality together.

However, any information that gets down to us, in physical form or any form we can interact with can degrade, corrupted, or even hijacked. This is why we must test everything.

God's words will not just magically come to our knowledge in pure form, uncorrupted. Our plenty denominations, many Christians having conflicting / contradictory interpretations of scriptures against each other is proof of this. Hence, we must test everything, no exceptions.

Seeking the Truth is not for the lazy nor the worldly.

11. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+7,410
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Ok, hard to know what all you mean, but do you wonder whether Jesus actually did say "love one another" or "forgive your brother from your heart" or "love your enemy" and other such direct instructions-- is that something you wonder about? To me, it's now self-evident they are the best of all possible ways to live, bar none, but it is the case I found out a lot of impossible seeming things were real by first hand experience (see post #17 for the beginning of that, and ask if you want more of what happened later).

12. timewerx

+5,054
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    I meant the things we hear being preached in churches for example. The lyrics we hear from Christian music, even divine revelations through visions, dreams, prophecy, etc. We must test.

And yes, including the teachings from the Bible, we must test. No exceptions.

If we are to test the Holy Spirit who is of higher source of knowledge concerning the Truth, then we should test the scriptures as well.

13. Natsumi Lam

Natsumi Lam Preparer of the Bride Supporter

+669
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Isnt the Word God breathed? Wouldnt the breath be the Holy Spirit that brings life to the Word?

14. timewerx

+5,054
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    Read the Bible closer.

The Word was God - John 1:1. Therefore, it's always been alive.

The Bible is only a glimpse of the Word. A physical collection of pages and even books would not be able to contain it - John 21:25.

This is why the Bible has no power by itself. It is only an incoherent glimpse of the Word at best. A compass that points to the source. But you still have to get to the source to know the Truth - John 16:13.

15. Shempster

Shempster ImJustMe Supporter

+772
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The bible is included in the phrase "all things".
    I test it by the words and teachings of Jesus. He said that he only said and did the things that the Father does. He was basically saying that he is the exact representation of the Father.
    So, anything that does not line up with the words, actions and teaching of Jesus needs to be understood on a much deeper level.

16. Natsumi Lam

Natsumi Lam Preparer of the Bride Supporter

+669
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    So you say the Bible has no power in itself...and that it is incoherent...is that from the Holy Spirit or your opinion?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  17. timewerx

+5,054
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    What I meant by incoherent is that the writings in the Bible are very easy to misinterpret.

The great number of divisions (denominations) among Christians is proof of this.

In addition, the devil himself can fake miracles and success of exorcisms. The devil deservedly called "The father of lies" wouldn't earn the title if he can only deceive a few. The father of lies is able to deserve the majority, even those genuinely seeking God.

That I learned from experience and from the Holy Spirit.

Anyone who loves the world or anything in it is communion with the spirit of the antiChrist, instead of the Holy Spirit. The spirit of the antiChrist can easily pretend to be the Holy Spirit in order to deceive many.