So, is sola scriptura another version of the napkin religion?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Discussion space to discuss the napkin religion, and its similarity (or lack thereof) to the claims of sola scriptura.

1677454777436.png

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Discussion space to discuss the napkin religion, and its similarity (or lack thereof) to the claims of sola scriptura.

View attachment 328488
Funny! And like a lot of funny things, contains more than a grain of truth.

Interestingly enough (to me, anyway), is that some of the best engineering ideas first took shape on bar napkins. Perpetrated a couple of them meself.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
OK.

That is a slogan.
Even slogans can hold truth…

Christianity is a way of a Father with his family it’s what God wrought through His son Jesus Christ …by comparison religion is what man thinks of God.
In Christianity God is the subject man is the object
In religion Man is the subject God is the object

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even slogans can hold truth…
That one doesn't. Christianity is a religion. It has a Deity, beliefs about that Deity, worships that Deity, has priests (or whatever you prefer to call them) and temples (or whatever you prefer to call them), and creeds, and a cosmology, and a code of ethics and behavior, ad infinitum. Just like every other religion.
Christianity is a way of a Father with his family it’s what God wrought through His son Jesus Christ …by comparison religion is what man thinks of God. In Christianity God is the subject man is the object
In religion Man is the subject God is the object.
OK, that all sounds interesting. Now tell me what that means, and how it's different than, say, Islam, or Hinduism?

And just for drill (anticipating the almost inevitable "If you were a real Christian..." response), I hereby affirm that I believe everything expressed in the Apostles' and Nicene Creeds to be objectively true. That's the difference for me, you see. I believe that the Christian Faith is true, while Islam, and Judaism, and Hinduism, and whatever, are not true.

BTW, if you're going to reach for the "Christianity is a relationship with God" trope, I assert tht everybody has a "relationship with God", but that being sinners, it's just not generally a good relationship.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are we comparing Scripture to something scrawled on a napkin now?
Reductio ad absurdum, but yeah. The Bible says that Bible is true, as al Quran says that it is true, or the Sikhs say that the Guru Granth Sahib is true. Obviously there has to be a bit more to it than that, else no one would accept any of those things as ultimately true. The Bible, of course, is based on Holy Tradition, which we must also accept as true in order to accept the Bible. In the end it all comes down to what we believe, be it the napkin or the Word of God.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reductio ad absurdum, but yeah. The Bible says that Bible is true, as al Quran says that it is true, or the Sikhs say that the Guru Granth Sahib is true. Obviously there has to be a bit more to it than that, else no one would accept any of those things as ultimately true. The Bible, of course, is based on Holy Tradition, which we must also accept as true in order to accept the Bible. In the end it all comes down to what we believe, be it the napkin or the Word of God.
Pretty insulting no matter where you sit on your beliefs imo.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pretty insulting no matter where you sit on your beliefs imo.
From where we sit, sure. But to the unbeliever, "The Bible sez..." is about as credible as "the napkin sez". Why would the unbeliever accept the authority of the Bible? It's like telling us "the Quran says...". We find that of merely academic interest, and attach no authority to it.

In the end we accept the Bible as Holy Writ because of a couple thousand years of history and tradition. We don't accept the napkin because it's just a napkin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,895.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

View attachment 328488

It is a chicken and egg situation. Religion should be an accumulation of many aspects such as history, laws, revelations, prophecies, customs and sayings. A non-written religious practise could be true during the time of its inception, however without written records how sure are we that such practise is accurately passed down? Then comes the other argument just because it is not written doesn't mean it is not part of the religion originally because even the Gospel of John said that not every action of Jesus was recorded down.

I personally hold sola scriptura to a higher degree of trust as non-written practises or teachings are easier to be inaccurately passed down.

Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
“The Napkin religion is the one true religion because it says so right here on this Napkin.”

1. We don't know who wrote that.

2. Scripture is theopneustos (breathed-out by God).

False equivalence fallacy: “This fallacy is committed when one shared trait between two subjects is assumed to show equivalence, especially in order of magnitude, when equivalence is not necessarily the logical result. False equivalence is a common result when an anecdotal similarity is pointed out as equal but the claim of equivalence does not bear scrutiny because the similarity is based on oversimplification or ignorance of additional factors” (emphasis added).

• Winner
Reactions: BBAS 64
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Sola scriptura doesn't stand up well to Rationalism or Postmodernism. Many of the Reformers seemed to be genuinely naive about the limitations of language, epistemology, and hermeneutics, particularly in the Reformed tradition, but also to some extent in the Lutheran tradition as well. They all tended to peer down the well of the vast history of time and see in the early Church reflected to them an idealized version of themselves, to borrow an image from the 19th century Jesuit modernist, George Tyrrell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It is a chicken and egg situation. Religion should be an accumulation of many aspects such as history, laws, revelations, prophecies, customs and sayings. A non-written religious practise could be true during the time of its inception, however without written records how sure are we that such practise is accurately passed down?

Many religions are based on religious experience as primary. It's only the large western religions that tend to be heavy on propositions for their religious epistemology.

The Quaker religion, for instance, is almost exclusively experientially based. Many eastern religions, such as Shinto, are heavily experientially based as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
That one doesn't. Christianity is a religion. It has a Deity, beliefs about that Deity, worships that Deity, has priests (or whatever you prefer to call them) and temples (or whatever you prefer to call them), and creeds, and a cosmology, and a code of ethics and behavior, ad infinitum. Just like every other religion.

OK, that all sounds interesting. Now tell me what that means, and how it's different than, say, Islam, or Hinduism?

And just for drill (anticipating the almost inevitable "If you were a real Christian..." response), I hereby affirm that I believe everything expressed in the Apostles' and Nicene Creeds to be objectively true. That's the difference for me, you see. I believe that the Christian Faith is true, while Islam, and Judaism, and Hinduism, and whatever, are not true.

BTW, if you're going to reach for the "Christianity is a relationship with God" trope, I assert tht everybody has a "relationship with God", but that being sinners, it's just not generally a good relationship.
In my post I was not comparing Christianity to other religions…. although now I can clearly see how my post was misleading and where you would draw that conclusion. I don’t really care about other religions, nor do I know enough about them to compare. What I really was doing was defining what has happen to Christianity through the offshoots of religion. I realize you still won’t agree with me... as I am not a big fan of most religions (in Christianity).

True Christianity is not a religion it is a way of a Father with His family which does make that a relationship. At the base of most religions is a works base doctrine seeking self-righteousness by doing the right thing… saying the right thing…. wearing the right thing… acting the right way… it’s rituals, repetition, creeds, rules ….and more. It’s man way in his eyes of dictating to God what worship is.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

View attachment 328488
More than one religion, since SS can’t seem to come up with a unified body of beliefs. And this is because Scripture is necessarily filtered through the weak and fallible men who interpret it as they read it. Once the Christian faith is effectively divorced from the past, lived experience and understanding of the church, much guess-work must be applied.

Upvote 0