So, is sola scriptura another version of the napkin religion?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
More than one religion, since SS can’t seem to come up with a unified body of beliefs. And this is because Scripture is necessarily filtered through the weak and fallible men who interpret it as they read it. Once the Christian faith is effectively divorced from the past, lived experience and understanding of the church, much guess-work must be applied.

I think that's more a byproduct of a certain kinds of uniquely American assumptions. Particularly Scottish Common Sense Realism. Unfortunately, that kind of religion has been exported around the world now, often sheep stealing from more traditional religious institutions (particularly the Catholic Church- the growth of the Prosperity Gospel and Fundamentalist Pentecostalism in Latin America, for instance, has come largely off the backs of nominal Catholics).

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Have I done anything to imply it was? I do not think I did. Lol
That's good, most important thing is to have fun, only God is right in the end anyway.

napkins soaked in syrup, crystalized as amber.

dug up as fossils ...

a new religion begins.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's good, most important thing is to have fun, only God is right in the end anyway.

napkins soaked in syrup, crystalized as amber.

dug up as fossils ...

a new religion begins.
No.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ha ha. The Bible doesn’t prove anything about God, an atheist might contend, because it is not self-authenticating. Whatever it says about God is just something someone wrote down. Even if its words include the assertion that the words are God-inspired, how do we know that to be true? Anyone could write anything. Didn’t Muhammed do some writing, too? And Joseph Smith? And myriad others? We don’t take words as being true just because they’re in writing, or because their writer says the words are true.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ha ha. The Bible doesn’t prove anything about God, an atheist might contend, because it is not self-authenticating. Whatever it says about God is just something someone wrote down. Even if its words include the assertion that the words are God-inspired, how do we know that to be true? Anyone could write anything. Didn’t Muhammed do some writing, too? And Joseph Smith? And myriad others? We don’t take words as being true just because they’re in writing, or because their writer says the words are true.

Continued below.
I knew that was more your cup of tea since it the same pic you posted.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I knew that was more your cup of tea since it the same pic you posted.
I just remembered the pic from a meme when I was still on social media.

I liked your post because your contribution to the discussion is appreciated.

The bible even has a quote in it: May God be true and every man a liar ... but then again, where does that leave us .. so good for a discussion in a christian space.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I do not find it appealing but....

While the so-called new atheism has already peaked and captured fewer adherents than its prominence in the media might suggest, it has without question made an impact on the American landscape, including the church.1 It is nearly impossible to ignore the publications, billboard campaigns, and talk-show appearances of strident proponents of atheism that have surged in the last two decades or more. Biologist Richard Dawkins, journalist Christopher Hitchens, and philosophers Daniel Dennett and Sam Harris have popularized atheism while giving it an aggressive edge by attacking religion as both irrational and harmful. Although there is little that is really “new” about the new atheism, other than the smug arrogance that often has accompanied it, the movement has popularized atheism and its arguments and had at least one lingering effect: “making it acceptable (or even fashionable) to be an atheist in today’s world.”2

The Christian church has felt the attacks and the need to respond to atheists’ philosophical arguments. The church also has felt the heartache of formerly professing Christians renouncing the faith and proudly embracing atheism.3

How do we, the church of Jesus Christ, respond to atheists evangelistically, and even more important, how do we protect our young people or other professing Christians among us from falling prey to the atheist appeal?

Continued below.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So in a sense sola scriptura gave rise to the napkin religion.

When people have painful memories of not being accepted in their childhood community, satire has a therapeutic effect.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So in a sense sola scriptura gave rise to the napkin religion.

Well Sola Scriptura Is a double edged sword. Scripture does hold authority but the problem with Scripture alone tends to leave out a lot when it comes to tradition with the big T and early Christianity as well. There is not a full picture to glean from.

When people have painful memories of not being accepted in their childhood community, satire has a therapeutic effect.
We all have painful memories when it comes to life in general. Tends to get worse with those that claim things that they have no idea how to follow. Again, it’s a skewed picture from skewed understanding.

Upvote 0