Wyoming
✟1,852.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How about Mormon ordinances? That's part of the gospel, right ST DS9?

Apparently, the early christians believed in "sealing" people together forever. In the 19th century Mormon church, this was called "The Law of Adoption". This law was meant to seal a righteous man to a righteous man (no, this isn't some kind of "gay" thing) all the way back to Adam (see the Manti Temple Jubilee Book of 1938).

But today's Mormon church doesn't do it like that anymore. Today, they seal themselves to their own ancestors, as opposed to a higher Priesthood authority. They call this the "eternal family" principle.

"Families can be together forever, through Wilford Woodruff's plan"...

I want to lay before you what there is for us to do at the present time. . . . You have acted up to all the light and knowledge that you have had; but you have now something more to do than you have done. We have not fully carried out those principles in fulfillment of the revelations of God to us, in sealing the hearts of the fathers to the children and the children to the fathers. . . . we still have more changes to make. . . . I will tell you what some of them are. One of them is the principle of adoption. Now, what are the feelings of Israel? They have felt that they wanted to be adopted to somebody. . . . The duty that I want every man who presides over a Temple to see performed from this day henceforth and forever, unless the Lord Almighty commands otherwise, is, let every man be adopted to his father; not to Wilford Woodruff, nor to any other man outside the lineage of his fathers. . . . That is one principle that should be carried out from this time henceforth. ‘But,’ says one, ‘suppose we come along to a man who perhaps is a murderer.’ Well, if he is a murderer, drop him out and connect with the next man beyond him. . . . Another principle connected with this subject I want to talk about. A man has married a woman, and they have a family of children. The man lays down in death without ever hearing the Gospel. The wife afterwards hears the Gospel and embraces it. She comes to the temple and she wants to be sealed to her husband, who was a good man. The feeling has been to deny this and to say, ‘No, he is not in the Church, and you cannot be sealed to your husband.’ Many a woman’s heart has ached because of this, and as a servant of God I have broken that chain a good while ago. I have laid before every woman this principle and let her have her choice. Why deprive a woman of being sealed to her husband because he never heard the Gospel? What do any of us know with regard to him? Will he not hear the Gospel and embrace it in the spirit world? . . . There will be very few, if any, who will not accept the Gospel. (MFP 3:255-256, underlining mine.)
So this makes one wonder, why the Lord didn't tell them the right way in the first place? What would the early christians think of this? How did they do it?

^_^ ^_^ ^_^ :p

unbound

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2004
✟17,431.00
Faith
Christian
History doesnt matter. All that matters is what they believe today. What they believe today is not as important as what they believe tomorrow. Its a Burger King religion. Have it Your Way.

Whats nice about continuing revelation is you can modify your belief to fit the whims of the world, or the current leaders whims.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jason the Evangelist said:
How about Mormon ordinances? That's part of the gospel, right ST DS9?

Apparently, the early christians believed in "sealing" people together forever. In the 19th century Mormon church, this was called "The Law of Adoption". This law was meant to seal a righteous man to a righteous man (no, this isn't some kind of "gay" thing) all the way back to Adam (see the Manti Temple Jubilee Book of 1938).

But today's Mormon church doesn't do it like that anymore. Today, they seal themselves to their own ancestors, as opposed to a higher Priesthood authority. They call this the "eternal family" principle.

"Families can be together forever, through Wilford Woodruff's plan"...

So this makes one wonder, why the Lord didn't tell them the right way in the first place? What would the early christians think of this? How did they do it?

^_^ ^_^ ^_^ :p

FB: Jason you do not understand what is going on. You do not understand what the sealing power is. If you did not understand it while you were suppose to be a member, and it surely would have been explained to you as a fundie.

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
fatboys said:
FB: Jason you do not understand what is going on. You do not understand what the sealing power is. If you did not understand it while you were suppose to be a member, and it surely would have been explained to you as a fundie.
That is your answer for everything, isn't it.... "you just don't understand".

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.